R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Whats needed for gt racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/399135-whats-needed-gt-racing.html)

bigjez 05-16-2010 04:09 PM

Whats needed for gt racing

I have a Dm-1 spec which i am modding now , but i never been to a race and would like to know whats need for the pits,and racing thanks.

williamw 05-16-2010 04:21 PM

A good setup of racing slicks should be at the top of your list. The kit rubber does not provide the grip needed to compete. :cool:

bigjez 05-16-2010 04:26 PM

Thanks its on the list.

jneg 05-16-2010 07:43 PM

I have a lot of things but basically in GT all you need is the car that you already have. You can race with the kit as it comes from the factory but I will only suggest that you get the lower suspension mounts in aluminum. There are some companies that already make these mounts, KingHeadz, YBslow and Max Velocity Racing.

Another thing you will need is at least a good set of slick tires. I would suggest you use the Ipanema rubber tires. These are great tires and should provide you with great traction. You can also change the fuel tank for a 150cc one, the stock one is 125cc. For this you can use the Kyosho tank from the Truggy ST-RR or the tank from the Jammin X1 truggy.

I use a couple of support equipment like starter box, glow starter, fuel bottle, etc. Basically the same as in any nitro class. If you want to go a step further then the sky is the limit.

I also have a set-up station (Hudy and Integy have good ones), if you go with the Hudy like I did you must get the one for 1/8 off road since these cars came from 1/8 converted buggies. A fuel gun is good for quick pits but your pit man must be experienced to use it correctly.

I use a small pit bag. This can be found in any hardware store (I use a Husky one I found in Home Depot). This is to carry everything you need to the pits. In mine I carry my tools, starter box, fuel, glow starter and since we here have a rule that you can't take the car off the track to fix it we also take some spare parts and extra tires.

All this is extra equipment that you don't actually "need" but it will help you when you do go to the race. The good thing about GT racing is that if you have the car you basically have all thats needed to race and have a good time. Good luck racing your GT.

JLock 05-16-2010 08:27 PM

Let me be the first to say, "Welcome to GT racing!!" You are joining a ever-growing family that will make sure you have a fun experience racing your GT car. Don't be afraid to ask any of us anything you need to know about GT racing or the ones of us that have experience running your brand of car. There is a wealth of experience at your disposal if you need help. Take care and hope to see you racing at a big event soon!!

bigjez 05-17-2010 02:32 PM

Hey thanks guy's im going to getall i need soon working alot of overtime so i hope to hit the track soon.Here we havr the one eight racer track so im going to go hang out this sunday and see what its like thanks.

RussF 05-17-2010 03:38 PM

I just started out in GT as well. I dont know alot about the OFNA DM1, but one of the guys that races with us has one and know alot about it. If you search around on this and other sites I'm sure you will find specific answers to your questions as you have them.

Assuming you already have the car running and whatnot I would answer your original question about whats needed for racing racing as:

1. Tires. I have one set of GRP A's and GRP B's. I mix and match these depending on the track. I want some Ipanemas when I can afford them.
2. Personal Transponder. Most tracks use the AMB so I would get either the AMB or MRT brand transponder if thats what they run. Check first obviously.
3. Starter Box. If you dont have one they are priceless for saving blisters.
4. Re-enforce your body shell around the front and fenders. I use drywall mesh and shoe goo.
5. Practice. Get as much practice in as you can. Drive clean vs. full tigger all the time.
6. Have Fun!! Relax!! Its supposed to be fun.

Good Luck!

jneg 05-17-2010 05:11 PM

Good one on the personal transponder! I totaly forgot about it. In some racetracks they are mandatory. Since you are already going yo the race track verify if they are mandatory and wish system (most use AMB system). These trasponder are what marks every lap and your times during the race.

bigjez 05-18-2010 01:09 PM

Thanks guys.

MikaR 05-18-2010 01:50 PM

See also http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...ust-haves.html