Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Elections for President coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Maybe the answer is a complete restructuring to more accurately reflect the diversity of our hobby umbrella - we have four major interest segments as I see it - Off Road Gas , On road gas , Off road electric , and On road electric. Why not have one upper management structure - president, secretary , treasurer and maybe a vice president of each major interst segment to give those groups more of a sense of belonging.
Agreed!
makes sense to me . . .
Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Maybe the answer is a complete restructuring to more accurately reflect the diversity of our hobby umbrella - we have four major interest segments as I see it - Off Road Gas , On road gas , Off road electric , and On road electric. Why not have one upper management structure - president, secretary , treasurer and maybe a vice president of each major interst segment to give those groups more of a sense of belonging.
Rick, that is the solution to a good organizational structure for ROAR.

I have always felt that it was too much for one person to be dealing with all the entities associated of RC racing.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dougday
Rick, that is the solution to a good organizational structure for ROAR.

I have always felt that it was too much for one person to be dealing with all the entities associated of RC racing.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Rick,

I think that is a very strong idea. Has merit from many different vantage points.

The more I think about the concept, the more I like it. Has real validity and merit.

The status quo isn't bringing in the membership numbers ROAR should have.
Yes, membership is not what it was in the three years 2003-2005 (The highest 3 years for the period 1994-2009). But over the past 4 years, we are seeing Member Renewals become a larger portion of our membership. High Retention rate is always a positive indicator for any enterprise. And since 2005, ROAR has begun to retain members at a higher percentage of the membership base over the period 1994-2009.

We are also seeing a similar trend in club memberships. We have twice as many clubs today, and retention in 2009 was 70%.

Am I satisified with our numbers? No

Lets not mistake the years of high membership with strengh of the organization. Those years had high numbers of new members, which many would assign to a ROAR National or possible World Championship Event being nearby and increasing a one time member just to attend the race.

We do have some good foundations.

Having existing members renew year after year (and the number of members doing so has grown) is a positive indicator.

Having existing clubs remain members (and growing year over year), is a positive indicator.

Having the number of new individuals join remain somewhat flat, indicates our clubs/tracks are also struggling to acquire new members as well.

We continue to have new Companies join the organization as Affiliate Members to support our events and members.

Instead of adding more ExCom level headcount, what we need are the Regional Directors to build solid teams with Assistants to affectively penetrate the region. There is nothing stopping them from appointing Region Assistants for Fuel (on and Offroad), Electirc (on and offroad), Oval, etc.

Our Section Chairs are also building diverse groups of Members to work on the respective divisions of racing (Fuel and Electric). And I know they are both interested in volunteers who will be active and engaged in the strengthening and growing our programs, clubs, and member base.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JDCrow
I still believe the most accurate way to guage yourself against others is head to head competition on the same track. Either at a single event, or a series of races throughout a season. To many variables when everyone is racing at different venues against different levels of competition to make an accurate ranking based solely on race finishes. Some tracks have really deep levels of talent, some tracks not so much.

JD
The reason a points system is a must is the fact that in reality, few racers travel. These racers also do not join ROAR unless their facility requires it. A points system, which would only be for official ROAR classes, run to the letter of the rule, would offer these racers a way to participate without the need to travel hundreds of miles, and would offer them a return for the time they spend at the track.

More racers wanting to participate in points->more ROAR club tracks -> more membership.

Not only would this answer the question of "What do I get for my membership money?", but it also give the ROAR track something of value to attract racers.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Rick,

I think that is a very strong idea. Has merit from many different vantage points.

The more I think about the concept, the more I like it. Has real validity and merit.

The status quo isn't bringing in the membership numbers ROAR should have.
Spoken like a true visionary President!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

+1 now were talking
Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default FaceLift

JD you make some good points and seemed well versed in being a leader. But, this last response struck me as more of the “SAME”. We had three people immediately agree that maybe re-structuring would be the right direction and before more could chime in, you gave us a list of “cons” of why not.

Our current leader is well known to lash out, threaten or try to embarrass someone here that may voice their opinion against a ROAR decision.

Please using your leadership skills, tell us if you were handed the task of over-seeing a complete restructure of the following and being just as creative as you have on other topics, what “PROS” come to mind?

ROAR President
+ the addition of
Off Road class president
On Road class president
On Road Electric class president
Off Road Electric class president
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I think the regions need to step up instead of restructuring at the top. You can have 10 presidents but if your region is dead then so is ROAR. Gets back to the too many chiefs and not enough indians.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Big goverment small goverment let's not get political but +1 on the pro's versus cons as president jd what are your strategies on growing membership and growing the presence of roar will we see or hear tv, radio ads etc
Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcmark24
I think the regions need to step up instead of restructuring at the top. You can have 10 presidents but if your region is dead then so is ROAR. Gets back to the too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Change starts at the top. (restructure) Management needs to be nimble, understand specific class racing needs. (Class Presidents)

Racers need a reason to join. (National points system)

I feel strongly that a successful and effective NEW ROAR National President needs to be promotion centric. Let the rules be dealt with by the Class Presidents. The National President should be building a coalition of Manufactures, Track owners and Promoters. Build National Interest in our sport
Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MBlackketter
No betting on races.
Yes Mark, we got a chuckle over that. I do miss the motorhome days.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have been Roar member for years now both running on road and off road but my focus now is on road, I live in Las Vegas. What I can tell you is that this is a hobby, we race for plastic trophy's, but yet we have rules that in many areas it resemble and real car race circuit. I am not sure if this is a good thing sometimes. Based on my experience here in Vegas its the enforcement of those rules that some time give Roar a bad name, which in turns people off to the promotion of this hobby. Now I am not sure if the rules are aggressively enforced in other parts of the country like here in Vegas, But its a little overwhelming sometimes.

I am all for this election both president and region 12 director, but I like to see both filled with people that are not so rule driven and more to back to basic and just have fun.

My experience on why this thread is not being hit is that most roar members only become member due to fact that they have to in order to run in certain tracks and races, so they sign up just to give them that privilege but Roar gives them no other reason to become more involved in the structure of the organization.

I don't want big brother (Roar) standing over my pit area pointing fingers on what is not right with my car, body, ect. On large racing event ok I can see it but at club level or even just practice? Its to much. Again maybe this is not happing in your area.

To people running for these upcoming office Roar has enough rules, we need people who are going to promote the hobby, the fun, the family, the clubs, ect.

Just my opinion
Old 05-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robert R
I have been Roar member for years now both running on road and off road but my focus now is on road, I live in Las Vegas. What I can tell you is that this is a hobby, we race for plastic trophy's, but yet we have rules that in many areas it resemble and real car race circuit. I am not sure if this is a good thing sometimes. Based on my experience here in Vegas its the enforcement of those rules that some time give Roar a bad name, which in turns people off to the promotion of this hobby. Now I am not sure if the rules are aggressively enforced in other parts of the country like here in Vegas, But its a little overwhelming sometimes.

I am all for this election both president and region 12 director, but I like to see both filled with people that are not so rule driven and more to back to basic and just have fun.

My experience on why this thread is not being hit is that most roar members only become member due to fact that they have to in order to run in certain tracks and races, so they sign up just to give them that privilege but Roar gives them no other reason to become more involved in the structure of the organization.

I don't want big brother (Roar) standing over my pit area pointing fingers on what is not right with my car, body, ect. On large racing event ok I can see it but at club level or even just practice? Its to much. Again maybe this is not happing in your area.

To people running for these upcoming office Roar has enough rules, we need people who are going to promote the hobby, the fun, the family, the clubs, ect.

Just my opinion

Now that’s an accurate statement!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robert R

Just my opinion

I will agree that we do have a problem with getting positive exposure of our hobby but I dont see our rules causing that issue. Yes we race for a plastic trophy however I can assure you that we are not the only ones. In fact there are only a few factions that actually give a REAL trophy.

Basically what you are proposing is that as it stands we have enought rules. Keep in mind that this hobby is only fun for all when ALL the rules are observed and followed. A simple example ...turn marshalling....

The problem here is that once technology changes there has to be rules that provide safety and fairness to ALL those directly or indirectly involved...another example here is LIPO packs. If ROAR stood by and did nothing when this technology was adopted by RC'ers I can assure you we would have more pit fires and evern more individuals getting hurt.

Every single hobby has rules even knitting (lol)
Here's my question
CAN YOU NAME ONE RULE THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE OR EVEN ONE THAT YOU THINK SHOULD BE REMOVED?

I take it from what's being voiced here is that there are management issues that need addressing. Apart from supervision and control it is believed that a centralzised ROAR undermines the factions involved (Electric, Gas etc)?

Ok lets say we were to departmentalize ROAR what happens then?

Next up promoting our hobby
What this reminds me of are parents who send their kids to schools and say tech my child EVERYTHING and take
no personal responsibily in their up-bringing(is that a word?).
We ALL have a responsibilty where that is concerned, we are the ones people "see" when they come to a race not ROAR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.