Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Stinger length and performance? >

Stinger length and performance?

Stinger length and performance?

Old 05-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default Stinger length and performance?

Does length of a pipe's stinger affect its performance? If so, how?

Some pipes come with long stingers that are more easily susceptible to bending upon impact. Does trimming them negatively affect performance?
Old 05-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Shorter/bigger ID better for top end, longer/smaller ID more low end power. I haven't cut them or anything like that so can't say that X amount difference would be of any difference on the track or not.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

does this effect the backpressure to your tank also?

if u cut your stinger short...

how short is too short?
how short is considered good?
can your shorten stinger affect the back pressure from the exhaust pipe to your tank to push the fuel in the carb?

coz i need to know this. i have cut mine a bit but i dont know whether it will give a bit performance to my engine. but what i notice is, it is a bit difficult for my fuel to flow, that is why i suspect the backpressure to from the pipe to my tank has been lowered after i cut the stinger.

mop
Old 05-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Tech Master

Default what is ID?

Originally posted by SlobbaTech
Shorter/bigger ID better for top end, longer/smaller ID more low end power. I haven't cut them or anything like that so can't say that X amount difference would be of any difference on the track or not.
what is ID means in ur explaination?

whenever we talk about exhaust pipe and stinger... we would talk about BANDWIDTH... anybody can explain more about bandwidth?

mop
Old 05-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

ID=Inner Diameter

ROAR's rules is stinger length can't be shorter than 15mm from body of pipe and/or bigger than 5mm ID. So taking that into account I haven't seen anyone with no stinger or anything crazy there at the track to be able to say what's too short or out of "the zone" for what the engine can withstand for rpm range. For pipes basical longer means more torque and less rpm and same goes for longer coupler, shorter smoother/less bottom end or torque and more top end power/rpm. The steeper the angles on the pipe means power comes on harder but powerband becomes narrower.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: what is ID?

Originally posted by mop_iko
what is ID means in ur explaination?

whenever we talk about exhaust pipe and stinger... we would talk about BANDWIDTH... anybody can explain more about bandwidth?

mop
ID = Internal diameter leh,... hehe...

for a guideline,... a legal stinger wud have 15mm length minimum, and 5 mm ID you can start from there,... I lengthen my stinger cuz our track is short twisty and bumpy,... like a buggy track (but on asphalt, hehe...) I use 20 mm length and 6 mm ID for our short track (I'm always in outlaw class,... considering the engine and pipes I use )
Old 05-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have had to shorten my stinger a few times due to damage. I never noticed a power difference or a big tuning difference either. You have to retune for each day anyway due to weather changes. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Ottoman,
Your hired driver wouln't get into an accident
You must've been driving

jim
Old 05-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by SlobbaTech
i havent calculate the dimension of my stinger. but i think i have cut it shorter than 15mm...(shucks... now i am an OUTLAW guy! yikes!)

how can a shorter stinger make your top end higher?

can explain in simple english.... ?

thanks!

mop
Old 05-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by mop_iko
i havent calculate the dimension of my stinger. but i think i have cut it shorter than 15mm...(shucks... now i am an OUTLAW guy! yikes!)

how can a shorter stinger make your top end higher?

can explain in simple english.... ?

thanks!

mop
mmm,... at higher engine speeds,... there'll be a lot more exhaust gases to be expelled,... a shorter stinger (or shorter pipe too) will release it faster,... but you'll get less low-end-power, since the ex.pipe is "emptier" when at low engine speed...

the analogy is,.. like your stomach,... you need to keep it filled, but never too full nor too empty

when empty, cannot run at top speed,.... when too full,... having problem to accelerate,... but can move really fast (rolling down the hill is a lot faster with full stomach ,...

the stinger pipe is your "exhaust" ,.. Imagine if you eat constantly but cannot release it as quick as you fill it, you won't be able to keep filling those big macs.. therefore a shorter and bigger "passage" is needed
Old 05-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

jimnew.... my "hired" driver is worth exactly what I pay him.... nothing
Old 05-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by orangbaligila
mmm,... at higher engine speeds,... there'll be a lot more exhaust gases to be expelled,... a shorter stinger (or shorter pipe too) will release it faster,... but you'll get less low-end-power, since the ex.pipe is "emptier" when at low engine speed...

the analogy is,.. like your stomach,... you need to keep it filled, but never too full nor too empty

when empty, cannot run at top speed,.... when too full,... having problem to accelerate,... but can move really fast (rolling down the hill is a lot faster with full stomach ,...

the stinger pipe is your "exhaust" ,.. Imagine if you eat constantly but cannot release it as quick as you fill it, you won't be able to keep filling those big macs.. therefore a shorter and bigger "passage" is needed
WHOAAAA..... nice simple english i would say. i would rather take fillet-o-fish then!

thanks orangbaligila!

mop
Old 05-05-2004, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

well, I had some mistakes though,...

on the stomach thing,.... when empty, cannot accelerate quickly,... but capable to do top speed,... when fat,.. accelerates fast, no top speed.... or is it,... ?!?!?!

hehe,... never mind the stomach thing etc. the beginning of the post is the serious one

but it doesn't apply rigidly,... there are other factors involved,... but if it's explained,... it won't be simple anymore

a tip: when you're categorised as "outlaw" in a race cos that short stinger thing,... blame the curbs (it's eating my stinger on practice day,.. bla,... bla,... bla...),.. then ask if you may glue it back no, seriously,... put a diverter pipe on your stinger (that rubber pipe in fancy colours) cut it only slightly longer than your stinger,... it'll give you some protection against rubbing or broke your stinger

btw, while we're at it,... how many tuned pipes do you guys own for your racer?! I currently use 3 out of 11 pipes I own (3 branded, 8 custom made), I like to explore the differences and effectiveness of pipe-engine-track combos
Old 05-06-2004, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by orangbaligila

on the stomach thing,.... when empty, cannot accelerate quickly,... but capable to do top speed,... when fat,.. accelerates fast, no top speed....

this is correct. in 1;1 cars it's the same story. too large of a exhaust diameter and the car has no back pressure. ie; non turbo cars shouldn't really go past 2 inches through-out for a exhaust system.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Default correct me if i am wrong.

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
this is correct. in 1;1 cars it's the same story. too large of a exhaust diameter and the car has no back pressure. ie; non turbo cars shouldn't really go past 2 inches through-out for a exhaust system.
why do 1/1 car need back pressure?

but i know for 1/1 car to big the exhaust pipe will decrease the TORQUE or PUNCH. but doesnt effect the TOP SPEED though.

OK back to RC.

so.... how to know your stinger giving the NEEDED emptiness/fullness in your exhaust? thus giving the LOW-END POWER and HIGH-END POWER that you want?

how to gauge it?

or

do you have to sacrifice either one.... or take both.

means... at least you have 3 pipes to play...from a SAME BRAND.

1 with default factory setting stinger
1 with shorter stinger
1 with longer stinger extended using tube or something.

mop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.