MRX4 Newbee Questions

MRX4 Newbee Questions

Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? MRX4 Newbee Questions

Just bought a MRX4 from this forum:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ex-engine.html

Does anybody know what model/type of glow plug this engine takes? Is it the novarossi conical turbo??
EDIT: I get it now, glow plugs come in two types: TURBO with the v-shaped/tapered end and regular with a straight body. So I need to just pop off the existing glow plug and have a look. Other than that, glow plug dimensions are basically standardized, right?

Wondering what size of receiver battery I should use? Is it the 5-cell hump or the
straight kind? If straight, is it AA or sub-AA? Or should I go with LiPo?

Also, realistically speaking, what speed and torque servo do I need for throttle and brake? I am thinking about a EXI D227F (8 kg/cm @ .09 s) for throttle and a Turnigy 620DMG+HS (10.6kg/cm in .13 s) or a DS1015 (14.5 kg/cm in .11s) if its necessary.

Finally, is it possible to get a sedan body for the MRX4?

Last edited by tetris; 05-05-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can use this battery

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTUG7&P=7

I dont know of any sedan bodies for a MRX4
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

As far as RX battery packs, use a 5-cell flat pack (the battery space will not accept a hump/3x2 pack) with at least a 1200mAh capacity. If you are going to run digital servos in the car, go with a high capacity. If you go LiPo on the RX pack, make sure that you either use a 6v regulator or opt for the new servos and receivers that are now capable of accepting 7.4v outputs of LiPo packs.

As far as servos, use a digital servo for steering for sure with at least 120 oz torque and high speed. The car is quick and you want to make sure that A) you can turn the front wheels fast and B) when they are turned, they hold in place and don't "chatter". For you throttle/brake servo, you can go either digital or analog but if you choose the latter, use the best on available (high speed and at least 80 oz torque). If you go digital with both, definitely get the LiPo RX pack (digitals use more juice than analog).

As far as bodies, the industry concentrates on Lola bodies for the car. Back about 15 years ago, they use to make sedan bodies for the car and if you search really hard, you may find someone with one out there. Also, check some Euro or Australian sources as far as hobby shops/websites; there maybe someone still making them for the lads across the ponds.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. I've also got a question about the proper glow plug to use in this RX321P engine thats shown in the pictures in the link in the OP. I can't find much information on the internet, but from what I can gather, it takes a "conical turbo" Novarossi glow plug, such as the C6TGF??

Problem is, the engine is old enough that I can't find the specifications on the net in order to know for sure.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

make sure you have extra front belt as spares. it won't last long.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tetris
Thanks for the info guys. I've also got a question about the proper glow plug to use in this RX321P engine thats shown in the pictures in the link in the OP. I can't find much information on the internet, but from what I can gather, it takes a "conical turbo" Novarossi glow plug, such as the C6TGF??

Problem is, the engine is old enough that I can't find the specifications on the net in order to know for sure.
Depending on the nitro percentage that you are using, you want to use the colder glow plugs of the whatever glow plug manufacturer that you choose. Unlike .12 engines, .21s don't need to run off the hotter plugs in a plug line. So, if you use Novarossi plugs, 7s and 8s are fine, 6s are about as hot as you want to use (stay away from 5s if possible, too hot).