Community
Wiki Posts
Search

trying to choose a kit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? trying to choose a kit...

So i currently have a HPI R40 kit with a couple hop ups on it, but i just don't like it anymore especially because it's so heavy and discontiued. Mainly the reason why i want to replace it is because, i need to rev my engine high just to get it moving, (i tried tunning it and bringing it to shops), and when im racing it, i just can;t get it to move straight (maybe some alignment issue, i tried fixing countless times).

I went online and went saw some new kits that were out and some other ones, i've decided to go with either the Team Magic G4RS or the Kyoscho RRR WC Evo, i'm on a budget, not looking to spend A LOT, but i know what im looking at these kits. I'm going to be transfering my current engine, pipe, and electronics over to one of these kits.

I've noticed that the G4RS got some nice revisions than like the G4S (my brother has it) and how they made it lightweight. The Kyoscho one my friend has the RRR WC edition and it's just amazing.
As of now, i'm leaning towards the Team Magic, is it a good buy? Thanks for the sugguestions and comments!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

The Kyosho is a good car, but is a old one now.

You can also make your choice around Capricorn, Serpent 733, Velox10, and you still have the Xray NT1.

All cars are good, but you must choose also with the easier way to get spare parts, set up...

I have a Serpent 733, and it's a really good car. In my local track (France) there are many Kyosho and Xray. Many of them are changing for Capricorn and Serpent.

It's not easy, try to get the advanteges and inconvienience of all of them to make your choice, and have a look on the price of the spare parts
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TheMafian
So i currently have a HPI R40 kit with a couple hop ups on it, but i just don't like it anymore especially because it's so heavy and discontiued. Mainly the reason why i want to replace it is because, i need to rev my engine high just to get it moving, (i tried tunning it and bringing it to shops), and when im racing it, i just can;t get it to move straight (maybe some alignment issue, i tried fixing countless times).

I went online and went saw some new kits that were out and some other ones, i've decided to go with either the Team Magic G4RS or the Kyoscho RRR WC Evo, i'm on a budget, not looking to spend A LOT, but i know what im looking at these kits. I'm going to be transfering my current engine, pipe, and electronics over to one of these kits.

I've noticed that the G4RS got some nice revisions than like the G4S (my brother has it) and how they made it lightweight. The Kyoscho one my friend has the RRR WC edition and it's just amazing.
As of now, i'm leaning towards the Team Magic, is it a good buy? Thanks for the sugguestions and comments!
the kyosho is an awesome car and it is old car but is still really competative. i prefer the xray nt1 it is an awesom car that is plenty durable also look at your local hobby shop and see what parts they carry
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

xray nt1 all the way...
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

I dont recommend Team Magic, it can seem to be cheap at first, but you'll end up buying more spare and optional parts than an Xray, or Kyosho.

I would strongly suggest Xray or Capricorn depending on your budget. These two and also Kyosho are the ones which doesnt "require" nearly any spare parts for long term, so running cost is very little compared to the others.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You did say you were on a budget so I would not suggest getting an Xray. All the other kits as far as price are pretty close. Personal suggestion, take a survey and see whats the most popular car locally, this will minimize your frustration. My choice would be the serpent 733 if it's whats locally available and popular. I own the car and it's Great. Rule of thumb, Buy cheap...buy twice
Old 05-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i've had two Team Magic cars, thier not bad cars but tough to get to handle unlike the Xray which is very easy to get set up and has great durability... I would not go with the Team Magic either b/c depending on where you live you cant just go to your local hobby shop and get parts...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I vote Mugen
Old 05-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just like everyone else I will vote for parts availability going from HPI because those are super easy to get, not only to you at your shop on the wall but to your shop in general or even online. Some of the cars just do not have a stable supply chain. Here are some that do, I think they are all equal for what you need on the track.

#1, Xray. RCAmerica is in nearly every shop you will run into
#2, Kyosho. Kyosho is orderable from almost every LHS
#3, Mugen. Mugen nearly always has stock and in every shop but maybe not for your car since people are still carrying mtx3 parts.
#4, Serpent. Serpent America under new ownership is really bumping this one up as I would have previously said this car was hard to get parts for.

I wouldn't really go with any other car because of questionable distribution channels and even the factory can be out of parts for over a month with some. Some of these cars have to be purchased with the euro making them extremely expensive as well.

Rumors, Mugen will have a new car near 2010 worlds, Xray seems due as well. Kyosho seems to be sticking with what they have had. The 733 is as current as it will be for at least a year I think.