Community
Wiki Posts
Search

clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default clutch

Hello, I bought a Capricorn world championship edition and set it up all per instructions. Shimmed perfectly and everything. When it start the engine the clutch kicks in and the wheels turn, but as soon as i put power through it then wheels stop turning. I thought it might be a slipping clutch shoe so I sanded that down but still the same problem.

Please help been at this for ages, most infuriating.

Cheers, tjfm.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

Are you shure you got .33mm end play and .1-.2 gap? For me .33mm end play was 3 shims. And the gap is like if you feel a little play almost nothing. And if i erre you i'll start with a spring preload of .4-.5 not more and then ill start thr túnel it.
Another thing just verify that the trust bearing the larger one is on bottom and the smaller one on top.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the reply. i have set it exactly as was in the manual using calipers so the measurements arent out (well hopefully not).
I just cant seem to get the hang of these clutches. Could it be the engine would that have any bearing towards the clutch working or not?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tjfmuk
thanks for the reply. i have set it exactly as was in the manual using calipers so the measurements arent out (well hopefully not).
I just cant seem to get the hang of these clutches. Could it be the engine would that have any bearing towards the clutch working or not?
So on the starter box the wheels will turn but not when the car is on the ground?

if so, remove shims from the inside of the clutch bell and put them on the outside of the thrust bearing. this will move the clutch bell closer to the shoe allowing it to grab earlier and in this case harder.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Initiate

the wheels will move when it is on the start box yes, the car moves (slowly) when placed on the ground. but any power through the motor and the wheels instantly stop turning. Utterly confused.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wow post a pic it will help to see what it looks like
Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tjfmuk
the wheels will move when it is on the start box yes, the car moves (slowly) when placed on the ground. but any power through the motor and the wheels instantly stop turning. Utterly confused.
did you try moving some inside shims to the outside?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

While were talking about the capricorn clutch,

is the IDM clutch the same?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN
While were talking about the capricorn clutch,

is the IDM clutch the same?
yes, i use capricorn clutch shoes on an idm clutch because idm support in general is complicated.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

check if the flywheel pins are not to long. they should only very slightly come out of the clutch shoe
Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Back off the spring nut a half turn. Coil bind is probably not allowing the shoe to contact the bell. If the clutch grabs better then you know it has to many clutch gap shims.