Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Trying to reach top speed (gearing questions) HELP!!! >

Trying to reach top speed (gearing questions) HELP!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to reach top speed (gearing questions) HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Trying to reach top speed (gearing questions) HELP!!!

Hey guys, I have a mugen mrx3 that I drag race with a few local guys every sunday. I'm just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to achieve top speed in my car without losing too much of the bottom end take-off. right now I'm running a 18/22 pinions and 45/49 spurs. I'm running a Falcon .21 modded race motor if that helps any. I know my car can go faster than it is now, any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

There was a guy on here offering a custom machined 3spd conversion for any onroad car. It was about a year ago and the price seemed reasonable. you might want to do a search.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Default thanks

That would be cool but I'd like to keep it OEM for less headaches...lol

Anybody???
Old 04-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default top speed

I didn't think that the mrx3 had a 22 pinion but anyways, do you have a certain distance you guys are racing or is it unlimited open asphalt because the gears you are running are the highest pinions and the spurs the 45 is the highest and there is a 50 for first gear spur. you are geared for the fastest that that car will go but it will take you a little time to reach it with that gearing. so if your limited in the distance you have to gear down also the size tires you run can effect how fast the car the car can go and how quickly. I would try 17/49 and 20/46 you will be much quicker and your top speed should reach 65 with no problem. don't forget the importance of the clutch,
Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Speedypeterb
I didn't think that the mrx3 had a 22 pinion but anyways, do you have a certain distance you guys are racing or is it unlimited open asphalt because the gears you are running are the highest pinions and the spurs the 45 is the highest and there is a 50 for first gear spur. you are geared for the fastest that that car will go but it will take you a little time to reach it with that gearing. so if your limited in the distance you have to gear down also the size tires you run can effect how fast the car the car can go and how quickly. I would try 17/49 and 20/46 you will be much quicker and your top speed should reach 65 with no problem. don't forget the importance of the clutch,
Thanks speedypeterb, The 22t pinion is actually from another car that fits the mugen clutch bell. I need to measure the distance of the parking lot, its pretty big but we don't always race the whole length of the parking lot. We're coming up with rules now so I'll have a better idea next weekend.

Oh, and will taller tires give greater top end or will they need to be trued down.

Thanks,
Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Taller tires will definately give a higher top end.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
Taller tires will definately give a higher top end.
Thanks dude, I did notice that when I put a fresh set of tires on, the car would seem like its going faster.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default testing

Originally Posted by reemo_2001
Thanks dude, I did notice that when I put a fresh set of tires on, the car would seem like its going faster.
as the tires wear down you could change gears to keep the car going the same speed as when your tires are big with smaller gears. the best way to get the most of your car and the what works best is to do alot of testing and time all your test. lets us know your measurements when you get a chance
Old 04-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Adept

Default OK

Originally Posted by Speedypeterb
as the tires wear down you could change gears to keep the car going the same speed as when your tires are big with smaller gears. the best way to get the most of your car and the what works best is to do alot of testing and time all your test. lets us know your measurements when you get a chance
Ok I'll keep you posted. I'm going to do some running tomorrow, I just hope my friend brings his radar gun.

Again Thanks for the help guys.