R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Help! Has to fully closed carb gap for idle???

Hi all,

I just bought the Novarossi 5 port engine and borken in with 5 tanks. Engine is running good and keeping it at around 200 degree during break-in period. But i have a question about idle setting. The engine idle fine but when i look at the gap clearence. It is fully closed. This is my second engine and i remember that usually there is around 0.1mm gap for idleing. The engine should flame out if fuly closed because no air in but that is what i have set now to have the engine in good idle. WHY? The engine rev very very high if i set 0.1mm gap. Did i do anything wrong or just let it closed completely when is idle?

US_MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Your bottom end could be really lean, I don't like to use temperature for actual tuning but in this case is might help you out a little. How hot does the ending idle at? Run it for 5 minutes then just let it sit and idle for at least a minute before taking a reading. For off-road my engines have never idled higher than 200*, usually like 160-185*. For on-road setup they usually idles cooler but can't remember how much. Other than that as long your engine runs good and not irratic or hard to tune I'd say it should be aight for air leaks like carb/case, backplate, header fits and don't have a reason or know where it's getting it's air from b/c I too think that with carb fully closed it should not be able to get air in.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I forgot to mention that all new Novarossi 5 port engine comes with a plastic insert in the throat. Is anything to do with that???
US_MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to Rob Hochberg

The plastic piece you're referring to is probably a carb restrictor. Is it possible to remove it?
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote