Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS .18tz or Traxxas 3.3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

O.K. so you know what I am saying. Kangaroo's and 35+21's are mills of choice among the big blocks. The tz is king of small blocks. 2.0 in a sedan and properly built. The tz with just a drag mod on 30% can do .8's. I was at both events last year I didn't your 3.3. I was with Muhsa the 08 champ. I'd be more than happy to put something together so we can see first hand what's what.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

The .18 TZ runs 1.8's in what? Not a street car.

LMAO, who said that I had my on-road car with the 3.3 in it at Richmond? You keep saying that like I take a knife to a gunfight. Musa (Fish), Lou, Ron Hicks, Ron White and Gene ALL come here to our test-n-tunes at Hollywood and races at MIR (Budds Creek). Hopefully you can make it out to our events sometimes too and we get together on this 3.3 versus .18 TZ thing.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Brent Davis
The .18 TZ runs 1.8's in what? Not a street car.

LMAO, who said that I had my on-road car with the 3.3 in it at Richmond? You keep saying that like I take a knife to a gunfight. Musa (Fish), Lou, Ron Hicks, Ron White and Gene ALL come here to our test-n-tunes at Hollywood and races at MIR (Budds Creek). Hopefully you can make it out to our events sometimes too and we get together on this 3.3 versus .18 TZ thing.

Yeah they came up about a week or two ago right. Gene's son runs a pro mod I think with a tz on it he runs in the 2.0 class but that car will run a lot faster than 2.0. I don't travel wth them I'll drag a sedan locally. Them dag chassis are wack to me I can't make a soley strait line purchase. That's just me. I am thinking of getting in on the gt class though.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah Gene's son uses a RBmods .18 TZ but in a Pro-Mod chassis and you're right Preston has been in the .8's with that thing. He won the '09 2.0 Championship as well. Gene told me that his son may not even race this year as well since he is now driving a car...lol.

Yeah man it is all in what you want to do with racing really. I am not a fan of on-road racing but live about 10 minutes from 301 Raceway and really like to see those guys run. I am just into the drag racing part more than anything. Hit me on the PM's if you know that you will be at any of those races and at least we can meet.

This is my Pro-Street CD3 that uses a Kangaroo. This car flipped over backwards twice leaving the line it had so much power. I was actually racing Lou when it flipped over. He won't run me again to say the least....lol. I now have a wheelie bar to stop that chit.

One of my Pro-Mods that I built from the ground up.

This was a custom made spool I had to do for the rear ring gear plus I wanted to use a 2-speed with a driveshaft.

Both of the rides together. The red body sits on a Walbern belt driven car.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Darn man up and down the east coast and NEVER stopped here in MD?
well.
It all good, I jus wan ppl to keep it clean cuz customers get easily influenced w/all the fast talking that goes on.

Never stopped in MD, once I decided to give onroad a try wifey got pregnant then lil dirtty was born. Das y the mrx4x took a lil over a yr to get assembled, lol. He'll b 3 in sept now I'm back!!!! Well definitely get a chassis together for the 3.3 vs. TZ. I'll pm u my info

lmao!!! I heard bout that, Lou is FUNNY guy!!! That's my dude tho. I talked to gene on Saturday on their way back from s.c. He's gotta 1/8 chassis he or his son gone race this season. Beautiful weather 4cast for this weekend

Last edited by Jusleanit; 04-05-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

Brent you look good. Yeah Lou is a wild dude. Fish told me about the back flip. Scratch that 3.3 you need to tell the masses about that kangaroo. I my run one in the circuit. We can trade info and meet up at the local race. I was at the two last year didn't run but still had fun.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Tracey, what is happening mang? At least you know what is going on with this stuff nowadays. I heard some guys went some 6's this weekend and also busted two Eric Johnson chassis's up as well. Hate when that happens. Good luck on your testing as well and keep me posted.

Anyways, the dual button design had been tried for the .18 TZ but because the sleeve is much smaller than the 3.3, it won't work. But I guess you knew that already. BBB, like I said here and via PM, your .18 TZ will run just fine. I am here in Waldorf, MD/Northern Virginia where we race 132' drag strips almost weekly. Bring some of these .18 TZ's out and have some fun with them.
Brent,

I will let you know how it turns out this weekend at the track. I got the clutch items installed, reworked the exhaust like we talked about and the steering to come in at 46.6oz., down from 49.+oz. Will see if the KANGAROO holds the track at this weight.

Final word on the .18TZ and the 3.3, which I never liked until Rick. Evidently the stock engine has something special for one of the top modders to invest as much time and money in R&D and testing to improve it. There is no way a modder would invest that time on a "JUNK" engine. It makes perfect sense. The platform was there. AB Mods saw it, and modded a gazillion of them from the Traxxas forum. Rick took it way further and you got a practically bullet proof .20 SB engine for about $350, about the same as the Nova .15 and RB .15 in stock form.

Again, mod the TZ the same way, push it, and the internals just can't handle it. In a pro-mod, maybe for a while, but certianly not in a street car.

If dudes are going 6's already, 5's are going to come early this season.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by OutlawIGT2
Brent,

I will let you know how it turns out this weekend at the track. I got the clutch items installed, reworked the exhaust like we talked about and the steering to come in at 46.6oz., down from 49.+oz. Will see if the KANGAROO holds the track at this weight.

Final word on the .18TZ and the 3.3, which I never liked until Rick. Evidently the stock engine has something special for one of the top modders to invest as much time and money in R&D and testing to improve it. There is no way a modder would invest that time on a "JUNK" engine. It makes perfect sense. The platform was there. AB Mods saw it, and modded a gazillion of them from the Traxxas forum. Rick took it way further and you got a practically bullet proof .20 SB engine for about $350, about the same as the Nova .15 and RB .15 in stock form.
Again, mod the TZ the same way, push it, and the internals just can't handle it. In a pro-mod, maybe for a while, but certianly not in a street car.

If dudes are going 6's already, 5's are going to come early this season.
Tell us this, what other engine does RB make parts for? Any Product that come from the manufacturer and has to undergo a major overhaul is not junk. Your right about that. It's a piece of ish.
I have run the EB mod, ABmod and stocker. I have never had an issue with parts failing. The tz just needs a good mod job.
We will get together later this summer and put the RB engine in a 3.3 block to the test.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Jusleanit and Allspeed, man we know some of the same peeps. I hope to meet you guys out there sometimes man. We have a good time man hangin' out and doing some grudge runs as well.

No doubt about it that the big .21 Kangaroos, 35+21's, FLASH, RB Xenons and o on are absolutely the baddest engines out there. An Australian guy went 1.604@80+ MPH in a Pro-Mod last year in Texas heat using a 35+21.

Hope to meet you guys out at some of the tracks.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:09 AM
Suspended

Jusleanit and Allspeed, man we know some of the same peeps. I hope to meet you guys out there sometimes man. We have a good time man hangin' out and doing some grudge runs as well.

No doubt about it that the big .21 Kangaroos, 35+21's, FLASH, RB Xenons and o on are absolutely the baddest engines out there. An Australian guy went 1.604@80+ MPH in a Pro-Mod last year in Texas heat using a 35+21.

Hope to meet you guys out at some of the tracks.
O fa sho!!!

V.o.r.r.a season opener is this weekend @ the sports park.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jusleanit

V.o.r.r.a season opener is this weekend @ the sports park.
what's that and where?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Suspended

what's that and where?
u gotta pm
Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

ok i went with the 18tz... ab is gna drag mod it for me.. the foams i have on now are a litl wider in the rear than the front.. can you guys give me anymore tips to help beat my buddys 3.3 4tec? this first run grudge match will prolly be for $100-200 so i wanna be dialed in!

I wouldnt mind this car being a drag only car either!!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by *BBB*
ok i went with the 18tz... ab is gna drag mod it for me.. the foams i have on now are a litl wider in the rear than the front.. can you guys give me anymore tips to help beat my buddys 3.3 4tec? this first run grudge match will prolly be for $100-200 so i wanna be dialed in!

I wouldnt mind this car being a drag only car either!!
A centax clutch will give you the edge you will need. You should have no problem beating a 4tec
Old 04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The centax will give me a good advantage huh? There is one on ebay made by team blue star.. is centax a brand or a style? and it says for SG cranks only?? PLEASE enlighjten me man im sorry.. What about tires? Can you recomend a good tire setup!?!

Thanx alot!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.