Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Default Clutch Problem

hi there. i seem to have and proplem with my clutch and i need your help. the clutch seems to be slightly engaged when my car is idiling. but when i give it trottle the clutch engages fully and is not to early or not to late and run ok from there. the clutch isnt getting stuck its just slightly engaged. when the car is siting on the ground it doesnt move but when it is lifted the wheels move. should i shim out the clutch bell or will i tightin the set screw for the clutch?. btw its a centax clutch on a 733
Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

shim it behind the bearing . start at 1.20 mm on clutch nut and a end play of .4 and work you way from there depending on the grip and driving style .
Old 03-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does it happen all the time or only when you rebuild your clutch with some fresh grease?.
If this is the case it is caused by the grease and a too small amount of endplay.
If there is almost no endplay the clutchbell can be rotated by the thrust bearing instead of the clutch shoe.
The amount of friction is just enough to rotate the drivetrain and wheels of the ground, but when the wheels are on the ground there isn't enough friction to rotate the wheels so it just slips.

So I would advice you to try 0.1mm more endplay and see if you still have this problem.
Since you say the clutch is working properly I don't think it is caused by spring pre-tension or a too small gap.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

ok i checked the endplay and i have non. so i took the clutch apart and shimed 0.1 behind the clutch bell and there seems to be abit more endplay and when you turn the clutch bell the flywheel doesnt turn aswell so thats good. so behind the clutch bell i have altogether 0.3 mm shimed. i also noticed that the flywheel pins had been filled down becouse they must of being touching the clutch bell
Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ugglasdav
ok i checked the endplay and i have non. so i took the clutch apart and shimed 0.1 behind the clutch bell and there seems to be abit more endplay and when you turn the clutch bell the flywheel doesnt turn aswell so thats good. so behind the clutch bell i have altogether 0.3 mm shimed. i also noticed that the flywheel pins had been filled down becouse they must of being touching the clutch bell

When i adjust endfloat I shim behind the bigger of the 2 clutch housing bearings.

If you only add shims behind the flywheel you are changing the gap between the clutch housing and the pad.

You have made the gap smaller, which is why now it appears to have given you more endfloat.

This is how the first gen centax worked.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

no i shimed in front of the set screw behind the two bearings
Old 03-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Lord

I think the term "gap" is not that clear to you.

On youtube are some building tips from Michael Salven and one of them is about the clutch. Take a look at it !!!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is how I set mine up.
http://cefx.net/catalog/clutch.php