Search

$$$ to make it race ready R40 or MTX3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:03 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

o yah,

withrespect to the MTX-3 prospec. It is a nice car with goodies. However, you don't NEED them to win
Old 04-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by B
Look at hara, he used the heavy stock (old design) transmission when he raced last year at revelation and his car wasnet any slower than the others.
That is correct. But that's because that wasn't available to him at the time. I'm sure if it was available, he would be using it. Besides, sometimes 0.8 module gearing is more of a hassle than anything else. If you're hit with bad luck, they can strip easier than the normal 1.0 gearing.

I guess he wasn't any slower than the rest of the pack because at that time, the newer cars have not come out yet.

Originally posted by B
So, even if you are a semi-pro, running the R40 stock can get you a podium finish any day. It is not the car, it is the driver
True. When you've reached to a certain level when the car is the only limiting factor, it limits you going faster. That is why many people after changing to a better car, their lap times simply improved. How do you then explain that? Magic? I don't think so...
Old 04-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by B
However, you don't NEED them to win
Of course... But for mere mortal racers like us who aspire to get into the A main, anything that can help you improve is always good. Then, you'll know and eliminate all other variables if it's the car or the driver that is the limiting factor. In the case of Frag, I'm guessing that he wants to know how far he can go as a racer without the car being the limiting factor.

Besides, Mugen include all the goodies in the PRO spec bundle. So what's there to complain?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
That is correct. But that's because that wasn't available to him at the time. I'm sure if it was available, he would be using it. Besides, sometimes 0.8 module gearing is more of a hassle than anything else. If you're hit with bad luck, they can strip easier than the normal 1.0 gearing.

I guess he wasn't any slower than the rest of the pack because at that time, the newer cars have not come out yet.

True. When you've reached to a certain level when the car is the only limiting factor, it limits you going faster. That is why many people after changing to a better car, their lap times simply improved. How do you then explain that? Magic? I don't think so...
Actually he was racing the best drivers in the US with the newest cars. Only car missing I think was the 710. And the 710 is no better than the other newest cars so I think minimising Haras win based on him not racing "current cars" is pretty poor.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Only car missing I think was the 710. And the 710 is no better than the other newest cars so I think minimising Haras win based on him not racing "current cars" is pretty poor.
Ummm, I respect your opinion but I disagree. I think if you take an example closer to your home, you'll know that the 710 is doing pretty well. Previously, Serpent never did good down under.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Ummm, I respect your opinion but I disagree. I think if you take an example closer to your home, you'll know that the 710 is doing pretty well. Previously, Serpent never did good down under.
Ummm, not. Darrin Campbell has been winning a whole bunch of big races with the 705 and the Impulse Pro for the last few years. It just never got airplay on MyTsn. In fact if you look at the article closely you will notice that some of the very good Mugen racers did not compete in the touring segment, and other faster guys have had some equipment failures, and the 950R is yet to win. I am not saying the 710 is a bad car but if you want to cherry pick results look here:

http://www.novarossi.it/21_3_04.htm

No 710 in 1st place here. In fact no HPI in first place either. Don't believe all you read on MyTsn about Serpent dominance, it is a Serpent run site after all.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Don't believe all you read on MyTsn about Serpent dominance, it is a Serpent run site after all.
AMG, you know very well that as a normal RC racer, I take the mystn results with a pinch of salt even though I race a Serpent. You make it seem that my opinion is biased, which I'm not.

Anyway, going by the results on the Novarossi site, then we should all go with the NTC3 ! I mean that's only one race... Look at Spain, France, Belgium, UK, Germany, Portugal, Holland, Venezuela, Switzerland etc. Granted it's just the beginning of the season, but I actually cannot remember seeing so many good results last year with the 705. That's honest.

Ummm, for Darrin Campbell's results, I know that he's always in the top 10 but never in the number 1 seat contention. Who are the good Mugen racers are you referring to? I may be wrong but I thought with Ric Bartolozzi and Simon Camilleri around, that should be pretty much covered with top guys...
Old 04-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

AMG, you know very well that as a normal RC racer, I take the mystn results with a pinch of salt even though I race a Serpent. You make it seem that my opinion is biased, which I'm not.

Anyway, going by the results on the Novarossi site, then we should all go with the NTC3 ! I mean that's only one race... Look at Spain, France, Belgium, UK, Germany, Portugal, Holland, Venezuela, Switzerland etc. Granted it's just the beginning of the season, but I actually cannot remember seeing so many good results last year with the 705. That's honest.

Ummm, for Darrin Campbell's results, I know that he's always in the top 10 but never in the number 1 seat contention. Who are the good Mugen racers are you referring to? I may be wrong but I thought with Ric Bartolozzi and Simon Camilleri around, that should be pretty much covered with top guys...
Chris Reade is the Mugen driver who I was referring to. Ric had a gear failure on the G4. Simon had bad luck from the outset.

All I am saying is on a given day with the right amount of luck anybody can with with any machine. The 710 is better than the 705 for sure, but it is not a magic bullet to make anybody win more than owning a HPI or a MTX3.

The 710 is winning a lot right now, but it is also the European flavour of the month. I can tell you that there is no way a 710 will win at my club since nobody has one. At another track I run at one guy has one. When the NTC3 came out eveybody had one in a similar way. People spend too much time and money worrying about what car is best.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

People spend too much time and money worrying about what car is best.
Because you cannot buy better driving skills. Sigh.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jeffreylin
Because you cannot buy better driving skills. Sigh.
LOL yeah I wish I could.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
B
Tech Master

I am curious, which cars do you mean by the "newer cars"?

The NTC3, G4, MTX-3, and R40 were all in the race. The only new car that has came out since that race is the 710. And I can say postively that it is not miles ahead of the other cars I have just mentioned above.

Hence, further enhancing my point. All the cars out there are not that drastically different.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by B

The NTC3, G4, MTX-3, and R40 were all in the race. The only new car that has came out since that race is the 710. And I can say postively that it is not miles ahead of the other cars I have just mentioned above.

Hence, further enhancing my point. All the cars out there are not that drastically different.
You forgot about the FW-05R! Quite different too!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:15 PM
B
Tech Master

Originally posted by jeffreylin
You forgot about the FW-05R! Quite different too!

O yeah, i forgot! My bad!

I am pretty interested in the 05R myself
Old 04-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by B
I needed to be subtle so that I'll take another 7 post to say what I really wanted to say !

Originally posted by B
Have you seen a 710 in action with the rest of the cars at your local track? Did they release the FT NTC3 before that race? If you consider that as a new car...

Originally posted by B
Driver skills aside, the R40 that Hara drove was certainly different than the R40 that you get off the shelf !
Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Chris Reade is the Mugen driver who I was referring to. Ric had a gear failure on the G4. Simon had bad luck from the outset.
Ahh, I guess Chris Reade decided to concentrate only on the 1/8th scale.

When the NTC3 came out eveybody had one in a similar way. People spend too much time and money worrying about what car is best.
Are you referring to someone I know? Bought many cars including the NTC3... Then now hop onto the bandwagon and bought the R40?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.