Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Bodies have same characteristics as electric? >

Bodies have same characteristics as electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bodies have same characteristics as electric?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Default Bodies have same characteristics as electric?

I'm new to Nitro and want to get some racing bodies. I've always ran touring cars for racing in electric. The bodies are 190mm and have certain characteristics like downforce and push which can be applied to different tracks. Even differences in brands for the same model vary. The Parma Alpha drives different than the Losi Alpha. Anyway, are these same characteristics transfered over to their 200mm counterparts, or when the size is changed, are the characteristics lost? And, is there a different body that is in Nitro that I wouldn't have heard of because it doesn't exist in electric, but still works for racing? Oh, I want the body to be Roar legal too. I'm not intersted in those big wing, crazy HPI nitro bodies. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

200mm "Nitro" bodies basically have no difference than their 190mm counterparts.

If you're looking for a sedan body for Nitro, most people run the Protoform Mazda 6 or the Protoform Alfa Romeo 2.1, just like in electric.

However, the Lola/Can-Am style bodies offer gobs of downforce, but some may not like their styling. You might recognize these from 1/8 Nitro On Road cars.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks. So there's no legal bodies that only come in 200mm? And, the 200mm counterparts are always the same? Sorry, just seems a little too easy. Also, how popular are the Lola/Can Am bodies? Doesn't it put it in a different class and illegal for most races?
Old 04-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Since the CG on the Nitros are higher, don't you have to compensate for it with more downforce or do you just deal with it as part of the deal? Seems like you'd lean towards a body with more downforce. Or offset the push created by the higher CG and move the wing back?
Old 04-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

IMO you will just have to try the different bodies to see which one works where and for you. Not everyone sees the same diferrence in bodies, i.e. I may try a body and feel that it makes my car push, you might try the same body and feel that it makes your car loose. Also nitro cars suspensions are designed differently than electrics to compensate for the higher CG, specially the newer ones.

I also feel that sometimes the bodies dont have as big an influence on handling as some people make it seem. IF my car is setup with a stratus 2.1 and then I decide to try a Alfa Romeo, sure my car my not handle the same anymore, it might have a push for example. In that case all I need to do is put a softer spring on the front and that push will be gone, and the car will handle the same as it did with with the the Stratus. Of course,if the difference is too big, I might have problems in other areas. But I fell that generaly all the bodies are close in handling.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks. That helps narrow it down.