Wiki Posts
Search

exhaust back fire!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default exhaust back fire!

Hi guys today while packing up i wanted to run all the fuel out from the motor and my starter box battery started to go flat so i tried the pull starter! seemed like the engine was getting flooded after 3-4 pulls. so i took the glow plug out and let all the excess fuel out. then put the glow plug back in and started pulling. Then into the 3-4 pull pop! a pretty loud (not so loud that it would make you death but enough to confirm that it wasnt a normal nose you'd hear from the exhaust) back fire coming from the exhaust, a sound simular to a backfire on a carburettor (a real car) but of course lower in sound but in 1:10 scale you'd consider it to be loud. the guy next to me just froze and stared at the car for like 10 secs straight! lol. Now i was wondering is this normal? or have i damaged something?
Old 04-09-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

you are probably okay
on a side note I once started my car without the glow ignitor(yes the motor was running a few minutes prior to the strange occurence, so the motor was still warm) , then one other time while practicing I crashed the car and flamed out (even the turnmarshall agrees he heard the car stop running) then all when the turn marshall got over to my car it started back up
Very strange but from what I have heard these things do happen occasionally/very rarely, (maybe it has something to do with the witch doctor that mods my motors for me
Old 04-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

lol your kidding me? im in disbelief! about the engine starting with no glow plug! as once the pistin reaches TDC it has no compression as there is a big air gap on the top! so how can it start! and with the engine stopping and starting again by it self that is just the nitro fumes getting to you guys haha! either that or your just trying to make me feel less paranoid :P
Old 04-09-2004, 07:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by BrainTeased
lol your kidding me? im in disbelief! about the engine starting with no glow plug! as once the pistin reaches TDC it has no compression as there is a big air gap on the top! so how can it start! and with the engine stopping and starting again by it self that is just the nitro fumes getting to you guys haha! either that or your just trying to make me feel less paranoid :P
I don't think you read his post right.
He said he once started his car without the "glow igniter".
Old 04-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

HAHA damn, i always jump to conlusions before i finish reading or listening to something!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by BrainTeased
HAHA damn, i always jump to conlusions before i finish reading or listening to something!
I'd be tripping out if it started without a glow plug.
I'd call a priest over to perform an exorcism.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:11 AM
FTSPEEDWAY

When my motor was almost new, it was on the verge of being flooded and when i put the glow ignter on it just fired up. The starter ox was still off. I have also had this happen to my plane.

Old 04-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

It's best to take the glow plug off then turn the motor over some to get the excess fuel out of the engine rather than just turning it over b/c that does't get it all out. Your motor prolly just hydrolocked and the loud pop was when that seal broke, then you see some fuel shoot out of the stinger really fast right? Motor should be aight, plug might be hurting, look at the coil to see if it's OK then put in ignitor and see if it glows normally or not.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by SlobbaTech
It's best to take the glow plug off then turn the motor over some to get the excess fuel out of the engine rather than just turning it over b/c that does't get it all out. Your motor prolly just hydrolocked and the loud pop was when that seal broke, then you see some fuel shoot out of the stinger really fast right? Motor should be aight, plug might be hurting, look at the coil to see if it's OK then put in ignitor and see if it glows normally or not.
Thanks so what seal do you think that broke? and ill do the glow plug test in a bit i cant remember if fuel came out of the stinger but a loud pop came out from the stinger.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

I was referring to the piston/sleeve seal being super tight with excess fuel in there. Not like your exhaust or backplate seal broke or something but might want to loosen and retighten head bolts though.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

thanks for that, drove my car today again and all seems fine. I will retorque my head bolts next week when i get my optional blue head for my VoneS GS-15R engine also my glow plug coil doesnt move so its pretty much okay as well. thanks for the input guys.
Cheers.