R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Foam Donuts??? Did the Police eat them all? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/375241-foam-donuts-did-police-eat-them-all.html)

sdphilips 02-28-2010 10:44 AM

Foam Donuts??? Did the Police eat them all?

Ok, only kidding about the Police eating all the donuts.

Does anyone sell foam donuts anymore? that is all we used to by and remount them to our wheels, can't seem to find them anymore. What is everyone doing with all there wheels, just tossing them out when the foam is gone? Not that i am a big tree hugger...but what a waste.

Thanks,

Scott

mblgjr 02-28-2010 11:12 AM

May be a bit of a waste; but I'd say most tire mfg. now have better gluing systems than the average individual can do by hand. Thus, the tires are more consistent and faster this way.

I do remember having the donuts, mounting them, truing them down and shaping them. Took a while, was messy and the glue-jigs weren't that great.

I'd also say for *most* folks, having a set of good wheels to put them on would be hard to find (at the club level). Since wrecks happen and the wheels get nicked/distorted.

sdphilips 02-28-2010 07:54 PM

Yeah, i agree about the glueing and truing...messy stuff. But, what about those with older RC cars...specifically any serpent using the OS1 wheels, i have been told by several people that the manufactures are discontinuing them.

Scott

fallguy 02-28-2010 08:54 PM

some places still have them.. but the cost is too close to a new set with wheels IMO

i have been thinking of getting some foam cut and making my own.. but its hard to find just the right foam...

http://rc4less.com/1/10_RC4LESS_Pan_.../c7/index.html

1fastdude 03-01-2010 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by sdphilips (Post 7069066)
Ok, only kidding about the Police eating all the donuts.

Does anyone sell foam donuts anymore? that is all we used to by and remount them to our wheels, can't seem to find them anymore. What is everyone doing with all there wheels, just tossing them out when the foam is gone? Not that i am a big tree hugger...but what a waste.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, I'm not 100% sure on this but BSR make be able to help you out with donuts. If you would like more information on this just post on here or PM me.

sdphilips 03-01-2010 05:44 AM

I will contact them and see what they say. I did send a message to Jaco last night as well.

Scott

sdphilips 03-01-2010 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by fallguy (Post 7071795)
some places still have them.. but the cost is too close to a new set with wheels IMO

i have been thinking of getting some foam cut and making my own.. but its hard to find just the right foam...

http://rc4less.com/1/10_RC4LESS_Pan_.../c7/index.html

That is what i am looking for, only in 1/8 scale sizes.

Scott

SMcpot 03-02-2010 11:02 AM

I'm also running a 950R and figure it's only a matter of time before the supply of OS1 premounts dries up. I'd also be interested in donuts, since the wheels can still be had pretty cheaply. Worst case, I'll have to buy the tires premounted on the Kyosho/Mugen wheel, soak 'em in thinner to remove the rubber, and remount them on the correct wheels.....brings back some messy memories.

Turbo9000 03-02-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by SMcpot (Post 7080307)
Worst case, I'll have to buy the tires premounted on the Kyosho/Mugen wheel, soak 'em in thinner to remove the rubber, and remount them on the correct wheels.....brings back some messy memories.

:eek: man, that sounds like a nightmare and a half.

I was thinking about buying a large sheet of foam rubber and using a hole-saw or something to make my own donuts.

Then selling them to people like us for an insane profit. :blush:

just kidding.

sdphilips 03-02-2010 12:38 PM

I don't think a normal hole saw would cut it, would need to be a really fine toothed one i wuld think. I think a normal one would really tear up the foam.

Scott

Turbo9000 03-02-2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by sdphilips (Post 7080673)
I don't think a normal hole saw would cut it, would need to be a really fine toothed one i wuld think. I think a normal one would really tear up the foam.

Scott

Yeah, i was thinking that if you could solidly hold a sheet of foam and use a new & sharp hole saw spinning in a drill press at pretty high RPM's.. if you drill down slowly, it would make a clean cut, but i honestly dont know :confused: i have never really cut foam before.

its really the ID that i would be worried about being cleanly cut as the out side dia i would turn in a lathe to get rid of any roughness or runout/true up

it seems like you could even stack layers of foam to make your own multi-ring donuts too.

sdphilips 03-02-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by SMcpot (Post 7080307)
I'm also running a 950R and figure it's only a matter of time before the supply of OS1 premounts dries up. I'd also be interested in donuts, since the wheels can still be had pretty cheaply. Worst case, I'll have to buy the tires premounted on the Kyosho/Mugen wheel, soak 'em in thinner to remove the rubber, and remount them on the correct wheels.....brings back some messy memories.

So, if they still sell the wheels, why can't we buy donuts! I really don't even remember what brand we used to buy.

Scott

robk 03-02-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo9000 (Post 7080986)
Yeah, i was thinking that if you could solidly hold a sheet of foam and use a new & sharp hole saw spinning in a drill press at pretty high RPM's.. if you drill down slowly, it would make a clean cut, but i honestly dont know :confused: i have never really cut foam before.

its really the ID that i would be worried about being cleanly cut as the out side dia i would turn in a lathe to get rid of any roughness or runout/true up

it seems like you could even stack layers of foam to make your own multi-ring donuts too.

You need to look for a hole saw that has grit instead of teeth. It's what you would use on tile or plaster.

Turbo9000 03-02-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 7081506)
You need to look for a hole saw that has grit instead of teeth. It's what you would use on tile or plaster.

ahh that is a good idea!

oreo 03-05-2010 09:09 PM

........I miss the smell of nitro ( can't wait for spring )

Calandra (Team CRC) should sell donuts (medium shore std rubber). With my ol' ReflexNT , I had attempted to experiment (with little success), multi-rings-kinda like what Ellegi used to sell. Back in 2003 , had bought two(2) pairs(fronts) from Bruckner Hobbies(Bronx , NY)........good luck, mounting your own foams jus' may be to your advantage on the track.