Who here still runs a NTC3 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who here still runs a NTC3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Always amazes me that older cars are considered "club level" and "nice if they can keep up". Newer-better-faster-itis consumes this sport.

We're talking about a rolling chassis, it didn't 'get slower' because its not a new design, using the term "new" very loosely here by the way.

Like most of you I've been racing for many years and come on, how much has 200mm touring changed in the last 10 years? New designs are just old designs with tighter performance envelopes as the drivers/designers learn what works. "do this for asphalt" - "set up the suspension this way for rubber" and zoom.

They come out with new cars every year and we buy them, and discard them in a year when the '009 comes out. Gosh how did we ever manage to get around the track with the yester-year dog-slow '008?

NTC3's don't appear at the nationals because no one *drives them* ; sponsored drivers are promoting the newest technology, not emphasizing that a car designed and built 10 years ago will still win if dialed in and driven correctly.

On the third hand, so what? As the saying goes- the fastest way to become a millionaire is to take 10 million dollars and go racing. Its not like buying a new rolling chassis every few years adds up to the cost of fuel, tires, broken components, more broken components, bodies, track-time, etc, etc. Just.... I guess call it a pet peeve.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by curth

They come out with new cars every year and we buy them, and discard them in a year when the '009 comes out. Gosh how did we ever manage to get around the track with the yester-year dog-slow '008?

NTC3's don't appear at the nationals because no one *drives them* ; sponsored drivers are promoting the newest technology, not emphasizing that a car designed and built 10 years ago will still win if dialed in and driven correctly.
This is pretty much how every motor sport works. I think alot of that ends up carrying over to RC..

Its funny, Alot of real race cars are pretty much meant to be discarded after the season is over. The people designing them dont really have longevity in mind while developing them. For instance old sports racers, can am, prototypes,etc that were designed with super light weight as a priority. That lw stuff is meant to be a consumable item, and made for pro-level budgets. .02 thin wall tubing and mag components that were new in yesteryear are probably not safe to see a race track in the present. and probably very hard to find replacements.

RC cars are a little different, I still run my old RC cars, I have built up a huge spare parts lot for the cars i run the most. Its a beautiful thing, once the cars have aged, people dont care as much about them and just want to get rid of them, which means you can find spares on forums and boards for practically free sometimes. so, i dont find is as irritating
Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The gearing for the car and the pipe&manifold that you have to run for the car limit the cars performance on large tracks. Plus the diffs can hold up to the power of today's .12 engines. I had one back in 03 and I am much faster with kyosho vonerrr evo 2 wc, mtx4r, nt1 ec etc. It is like night and day. But by all means have fun and race what you have.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIG DADDY8
I run the NTC3 right now. It's a very easy car to set up and drive. I've done some upgrades and I can run with the best of them. I've turn alot of head of racers from dallas, houston, san antonio. There suprised how well the car handles and runs with them. I like the car cause parts are easy to find, simple car to work on and adjust, and don't have to worry about BELTS breaking or popping off.
He does race this car very well. Handles excellent.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DK9mm
I know the car is approaching 10 years old but who here still runs/races this classic?

It appears the Mugen, Magic, X-ray, Serpent and Kyosho have all made updates to their line of cars over the years but AE has only changed the rear version.

Is this car in your opinion still as competetive with these other giants?

Please post your opinions and/or pics of your NTC3 ride.
No way is it competative you cant put any power in them because the diffs will explode its a great car for parkin lot bashing and a begginner
Old 03-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well we will see how the diffs hold up against the OS .18TZ!!! Sould be here thursday.. Got some stock backups if they "explode" though
Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Diffs should last for a little while if the .18TZ is stock.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCAKid
No way is it competative you cant put any power in them because the diffs will explode its a great car for parkin lot bashing and a begginner
With all due respect, I have run my NTC3 "hard" for an hour. Long straights and technical ( on and off throttle alot and hard ) many times. I have yet to replace the diff gears in the front and rear. I do perform routine maint though with grease so maybe this is why I don not have any problems.

My .02
Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

We are talking about running it with a modified .18TZ or big block.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by *BBB*
Well we will see how the diffs hold up against the OS .18TZ!!! Sould be here thursday.. Got some stock backups if they "explode" though
an os .18 dont put out more power then a competative .12 engine
Old 03-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

It does if the .18TZ is extremely modified. And I have seen diff pop in the TC-3 when it had a highly modified .12 in it too.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

How much more power do you get when you modify the .18tz? and who do yall get to modify them?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I run my NTC3 with Murnan Modified, geared hard. I may not always win but its never because I don't have enough power.

That the gearboxes can't take the power is a myth, as long as they are properly shimmed and lubed they hold up just dandy. Perhaps belts are easier to maintain and build?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I never blew a diff in mine. The best engine I ran in those days was a
OS .12tr. The Ntc3 was nothing but a converted electric TC3. All of the suspension components where just too fragile. I must of stocked 20 pivot balls every race day. Also the clutch was inferior. To convert to a centax style was twice as much as the current cars. But I still liked driving the car.

Pass you soon...
Old 03-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by curth
I run my NTC3 with Murnan Modified, geared hard. I may not always win but its never because I don't have enough power.

That the gearboxes can't take the power is a myth, as long as they are properly shimmed and lubed they hold up just dandy. Perhaps belts are easier to maintain and build?
.................................Not a myth you put a .highly modified .18TZ or a NovaRossi .21 and watch how fast the stock diffs will blow up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.