Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho foam tire question for 1/10 scale nitro

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Kyosho foam tire question for 1/10 scale nitro

Ok, I have done a search and couldnt find the information I am looking for.

Will Kyosho foam tires work on a AE NTC3?

What does the +2mm mean?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DK9mm
Ok, I have done a search and couldnt find the information I am looking for.

Will Kyosho foam tires work on a AE NTC3?

What does the +2mm mean?
+2mm means that the wheels rims have a 2mm offset. you can use zero offset or 2mm offset with no problem The offset will change the width of the track of the car.

The most popular wheel is 0mm offset.

Lee
Old 02-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
+2mm means that the wheels rims have a 2mm offset. you can use zero offset or 2mm offset with no problem The offset will change the width of the track of the car.

The most popular wheel is 0mm offset.

Lee
Will they mount to the NTC3 hub?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Will they mount to the NTC3 hub?
Yes they will.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Yes they will.
I also forgot to ask, do they come in 30mm rear?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

I also forgot to ask, do they come in 30mm rear?
Rear tire width is 30mm and front is 26mm. There are a lot of good brands of tires on the market and recommending one over another on the forum tends to get a pretty good on-line argument going.

Over the 29 years I have been racing I have tried a lot (most) of the brands and there is very little difference the average racer will notice. Some have strong rims that will take a shot and not break and others don't. Some cost a lot and others are bargains. Some chunk more (due mostly to poor gluing at the edge of the rim) others.

My preference is BSR because they do an exceptional job of gluing the foam to the rim. They have strong rims and great foam and don't cost much.

Lee
Old 02-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yes... The fronts are 26mm and the rears are 30mm
Old 02-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Rear tire width is 30mm and front is 26mm. There are a lot of good brands of tires on the market and recommending one over another on the forum tends to get a pretty good on-line argument going.

Over the 29 years I have been racing I have tried a lot (most) of the brands and there is very little difference the average racer will notice. Some have strong rims that will take a shot and not break and others don't. Some cost a lot and others are bargains. Some chunk more (due mostly to poor gluing at the edge of the rim) others.

My preference is BSR because they do an exceptional job of gluing the foam to the rim. They have strong rims and great foam and don't cost much.

Lee
Thanks. Where can I get the BSR's?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

I know this will come as a shock to you, but Winners circle is the place to get BSR tires.

In all seriousness, Lee (owner of Winners Circle) is a straight shooter and a big supporter of nitro onroad racing (along with Robert @ Ashford Hobby). You can trust what they say.. they are looking for long term customers, not just what they can get from you right now.

Now I can say that I have tried a lot of different brands of foam tires (never tried the BSR) and the Kyosho tires are quite possibly the best on the market. They will cost you more than most others on the market.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I know this will come as a shock to you, but Winners circle is the place to get BSR tires.

In all seriousness, Lee (owner of Winners Circle) is a straight shooter and a big supporter of nitro onroad racing (along with Robert @ Ashford Hobby). You can trust what they say.. they are looking for long term customers, not just what they can get from you right now.

Now I can say that I have tried a lot of different brands of foam tires (never tried the BSR) and the Kyosho tires are quite possibly the best on the market. They will cost you more than most others on the market.
Thanks Scott Fisher for the info.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

Are the Jaco Prism pre trued down foam tires designed for electric only?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Are the Jaco Prism pre trued down foam tires designed for electric only?
I am not a fan of Jaco, but here is the deal. Electric tires are different width and compounds. They are 24mm wide front and rear.

Last edited by Scott Fisher; 02-20-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher

It's like me coming on and saying Twister is better than all, buy from me!

I have tried BSR and Kyosho (obviously Twister, which is complicated at the moment) and I can honestly say that they do react differently and require a slight change in setup or driving style but I don't feel that any are dramatically faster than the others so price and value is what I try to recommend to anybody that doesn't have their mind made up already. Kyoshos front wheels are a real weak point though, I see a lot of guys tap one board and the wheel is wobbly but then Twister has a copy of that wheel design and if you slam hard enough it will just break entirely at the hex which Kyosho really doesn't do very often.

Sometimes jaco goes on sale, sometimes bsr does, sometimes twister does, sometimes matrix does... just watch for the crazy $8/box type of sales and you will be good. Spend the rest on fuel and engines and have a good time.