Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro TC and Foams

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Nitro TC and Foams

I have a question for anyone who can give some advice.

I have never ran foams on ashfault and am wondering if
most people run the same shore all the way around or
run 5 shore harder in the front.

Thanks in Advance
Old 03-31-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Nitro TC and Foams

Originally posted by 2QCK2C

Thanks in Advance
Really the best advice you could get is to experiment. Different people have different styles of driving and prefer different set-ups. I personally never liked running the same shore all round. I prefer a car that is a lot harder on the front and more predictable. Other guys prefer the car more on the edge and can run same shore all round.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Nitro TC and Foams

Originally posted by 2QCK2C

Thanks in Advance
I really like your nick...

I agree with Daddy Palmaris...
Old 03-31-2004, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Nitro TC and Foams

Originally posted by BaxterC

me too
Old 03-31-2004, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

I run the same shore all around

it depends on track condition and personal preference

it's safe to try one compound harder up front for starter and adjust accordingly, just buy 1 set of tires each time until you find the combination you like
Old 03-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Daddy Palmaris? Now thats funny!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

I like that. Going to push to get called 'Sir' now.

Ok. ok. Thats probably pushing the boat a little too far.

Master will be fine

Dang, thats D's title.

But on a more serious note. That was real good advice from Fire. No point buying lots of different shores or large quantities until you figure out what works best for you. Ask around at your local track and get a rough idea what the others are using. Then start from that.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks to all for the suggestions
Old 03-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Tech Prophet

I try to use softer front tires to get equal front and rear tire wear. Most of the time, rear tires wear faster even with front and rear equal shore and that can affect the car's handling in a long main. But then again, that depends heavily on your style of driving and car setup.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by InitialD
I try to use softer front tires to get equal front and rear tire wear. Most of the time, rear tires wear faster even with front and rear equal shore and that can affect the car's handling in a long main. But then again, that depends heavily on your style of driving and car setup.
I think it'll give you even more wear on rear tyres as it will increase oversteer (maybe you'll even get aother problem w/ chunking your rear tyres

front tyres are changed less, normally I change my fronts after 2-3 rear tyre changes, I think that's why some LHS put different price on fronts (more expensive) cos (like I do) people will tend to stock more rear tyres as it's consumed faster
Old 03-31-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by orangbaligila
I think it'll give you even more wear on rear tyres as it will increase oversteer (maybe you'll even get aother problem w/ chunking your rear tyres
Yup. I agree with you but like I said, it all depends on your car setup. Using softer front tires does not necessarily lead to an oversteer setup.

front tyres are changed less, normally I change my fronts after 2-3 rear tyre changes, I think that's why some LHS put different price on fronts (more expensive) cos (like I do) people will tend to stock more rear tyres as it's consumed faster
Correct. That's what I did last time. I rotate 1 pair of front tires to 2 or sometimes 3 pairs of rear. But over here, all tires (regardless of brand, shore or front / rear tires) are the same price.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I personally don’t like to run big shore splits, I think it unbalances the suspension too much. I usually run as close as possible without running the same shore. When I go to a track for the first time I will run my favorite, which is 45f 42r, if it’s too hard I will go to 42f 40r, and I have never run less than 40. 42F 40R seems to be the best combination, but if you can run harder you will get less tire wear, which is always good.

Daddy palmaris, open that walet and send one of of those P12s.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

I have personally found that you are almost always better off running even front and rear shore tires on newer cars. I am talking about cars manufactured in the last year or two for foam tires. In fact most cars seem to be "optimised" for 40 front and 40 rear.

My experiences is that tires under 40 shore tend to make the car wander badly in the straightaways and also make cornering inconsistent.

I would always start with 42/42 or 40/40 and tune from there with the chassis unless it is clear that 40/40 is too hard. I very rarely have used under 40/40 and also I find that going softer does not yeild that much more useable grip.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

I currently run 40-40 on my FW05R

normally, if I need more traction (front or rear) I change the springs and/or change the shock oil, or adjust the geometry... if nothing worked to the lever I desired(90% of the time worked) then I change the shores.

but for most ppl, changing the shore is their first medicine to grip problem,... because it's considered faster than a shock-oil change or a spring change,... but less accurate if I may say.... I was being a mech for a friend of mine during a race practice day,.... the car had grip problem,... I was at it and doing some spring changes and all,... but he seemed to be impatient and told me to change the shores instead (no arguments, that was his car, hehe...) tyres changed, practiced for that day.... the next day,... he chew a full set of 35's after only 6 mins in qualifying,... (here it comes),.. then he begs me to make suspension adjustments,... and I was about to have my lunch (he got a new mech. that only knew how to pour fuel and check for temp, hehe..),... my girlfriend was mad and all, hehe... coz I decided to do the rebuild and setting WHILE we have lunch (this is how she looked like at that time, hehehe...
Old 04-01-2004, 03:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

I currently run 40-40 on my FW05R

normally, if I need more traction (front or rear) I change the springs and/or change the shock oil, or adjust the geometry... if nothing worked to the lever I desired(90% of the time worked) then I change the shores.

but for most ppl, changing the shore is their first medicine to grip problem,... because it's considered faster than a shock-oil change or a spring change,... but less accurate if I may say.... I was being a mech for a friend of mine during a race practice day,.... the car had grip problem,... I was at it and doing some spring changes and all,... but he seemed to be impatient and told me to change the shores instead (no arguments, that was his car, hehe...) tyres changed, practiced for that day.... the next day,... he chew a full set of 35's after only 6 mins in qualifying,... (here it comes),.. then he begs me to make suspension adjustments,... and I was about to have my lunch (he got a new mech. that only knew how to pour fuel and check for temp, hehe..),... my girlfriend was mad and all, hehe... coz I decided to do the rebuild and setting WHILE we have lunch (this is how she looked like at that time, hehehe...
I totally agree. Sacrificing tires seems a small price to pay for an easy life on the pit table to most guys. We personally try to run with the hardest tire we can get away with and re-adjust the car until it works or is known it wont work before coming down shores.

But you are real lucky. Your girlfriend only gets mad when you use the lunch time to rebuild a car during a race day. Mine looks like that just cause I say Im going to race .

Do you want to do a swap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.