R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #31
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

IMO the problem is not the initial start up cost, which happens to be very high. The real problem, I think, is the ongoing cost of racing that puts people off. Most of us have the passion, and we get a certain enjoyment out of it and are therefore willing(and able) to spend this kind of money. It becomes even worse when newbies realize that its not as easy as it looks, it takes years of racing and practice(and spending money) to become competitive, and some people just give up and take their money some where else, a hobby with more instant gratification.

Its like going on vacation, most people can scrounge up the $3000+ to take the family to some nice place, but once they're back home that’s where the spending stops, with RC it keeps going.
Steven Muller
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #32
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I don't race nitro, but maybe an outsider's perspective is something to look at too. I'm not far from Leisure Hours asphalt track, so I could start racing nitro. The things that keep me away are #1 tires and #2 initial startup costs. Having raced foam carpet, I know how many tires you can go through. That is an ongoing cost. Then also you have the car kit, plus an engine(s), and the pipe, besides all the other electronics you may need, bodies, etc..

It does look really cool, and is much different than electric, but it's also hard to justify when you might get 4 good months out of the year for it. I have looked at the 1/8 Classic thread here, which is pretty cool. That seems like maybe something that might be more attractive to guys like me: less tire wear, less complicated to start out with, and you can only get so much power to the ground via 2wd.
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

I wonder is it about noise? or Cost? I don't run electric so I could be way off, but cost on good nitro motors for on road is just in my opinion way to high. Now you might run into same cost for electric with motor plus battery but I would think the electric would last you longer time.

As on road driver, there is a lot of cost to it, I am sure that plays a factor in what's going on in past three years with our economy and people leaving the race sene. Off road has been more affordable not only with price difference in 21 motors but less parts replacements.

As for green issue I don't think the exhaust puts out that much to cause any issue based on use and amounts of cars on any given day for practice or race weekend.
Chef Robert
Serpent 977
Serpent 811 GT
I have Byron fuel 16, 20, 25 & 30
Robert R is offline   Reply With Quote