Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

MUGEN SEIKI MRX5

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Just got an email back from Koji Sanada (Mugen Seike Japan). From what I can gather, moving the receiver to the other end of the radio tray has nothing to do with cooling the clutch. I won't go through his entire email, however it appears they are trying to solve the radio interference problems with the receiver being close to the clutch. He also mention that mounting the receiver on the left side of the fuel tank, it is more then likely that fuel will enter the receiver and they are also working on some countermeasure to solve this.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:32 PM
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
No, it's not. As it happens last sunday I talked to one of the Mugen guys and he told me the reason why they revised the tray/box.
They are blowing bearings and the clutchbell/shoe is overheating.
So Mugen have revised the radio box as well?

The receiver box section has been cut off the mold?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Lord

I would go for the MRX4 setup, just a stand up servo with on the side the receiver. I do not think someone can notice the difference in a lay down or a stand up servo.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by West03
Ko ex10 with spektrum. I have a sanwa m11x coming in soon to use at the worlds. Always used the ko with no problems. Others here, who had radio problems with the 5 used the 3PK. Seems random. Have you had any problems yet?
The only problem i had was the older Futaba SS recievers were to bit to fit inside the box properly due the the antenna bulge and when you screwed the box closed it put pressure on it and it lost bind. As soon as i went to the new thinner version and with no buldge i have had no problems at all.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
No, it's not. As it happens last sunday I talked to one of the Mugen guys and he told me the reason why they revised the tray/box.
They are blowing bearings and the clutchbell/shoe is overheating.

Maybe YLLIB (Billy) can chime in. He has some sort of magical, info pipeline, and maybe can elaborate on this issue.

He gets his info from underground sources, kinda like Colonal Hogan getting info from the Germans!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by West03
Just got an email back from Koji Sanada (Mugen Seike Japan). From what I can gather, moving the receiver to the other end of the radio tray has nothing to do with cooling the clutch. I won't go through his entire email, however it appears they are trying to solve the radio interference problems with the receiver being close to the clutch. He also mention that mounting the receiver on the left side of the fuel tank, it is more then likely that fuel will enter the receiver and they are also working on some countermeasure to solve this.
well i think that settles that i was told by mugen usa and he was told by mugen japan its got nothing to do with the clutch if the clutch was overheating to that point of blowing bearings u would b melting clutch shoes as well, just make sure the bearings are greased....

i as well would not switch my rec box to the other side, u not going to find more noise vibration and heat then being next to a pipe!!!

i just ran today my second mrx5 kit i built over the winter and not 1 problem today guys like i said i have been in a race and got a glitch when i got to the pit i have found something loose everytime!! so make sure every thing has thread lock on it
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Radio Tray

Here is a pic of the new tray.

\
----->
Attached Thumbnails MUGEN SEIKI MRX5-mugenmrx5-6-400x306.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tdr170
Here is a pic of the new tray.

\
----->
Huh ?? what's that ?

That's an old radio tray from mrx4 era, isn't it ?

I think its stupid to use open tray system next to fuel tank. The fuel spill directly landed on the receiver, and the cables routing probably can hit the side belt or front belt.

I dont believe a clutch bearing can produce signal disturbance to receiver. Why ?

1. it's 2.4 GIGA Hertz, way way out of range for metal friction can produce radio interferences.

2. my friends who race modified electric cars, they put their radio receiver next to brushless & brush motor, and they have no problem with radio interferences. Brushless motor and brush motor spins at 40,000 - 48,000 rpm.

My suggestion to mugen :

1. make bigger capacity radio box so people can put extra damping foam and dont have to squeezed all cables.

or

2. go back to old style like roelof said.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asw7576
I think its stupid to use open tray system next to fuel tank. The fuel spill directly landed on the receiver
Buy any of these, you can even match the color with your body, put around the receiver, problem solved!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

for anyone that has put the 4 front end on the 5...

Are you pulling the 1mm shim at the hub/steering arm connection and mounting the steering ball directly to the hub arm?

Also...does the front upper arm hinge pin still go in the upper position?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default front upper arm

I have a picture of my new upper arm I will be selling.I am waiting for the turnbuckles and the ball ends.The turnbuckles will be 4mm but they will use the same wrench as the 3mm.The ball ends will be aluminum with reverse thread.I should have the rest complete next week to try out.The dimensions are all the same except for the material added behind the pocket for the turnbuckle so you will be able to adjust camber.I am not saying this is going to cure the problems but I know it will make a big difference.JOHN MULLEN J&S Racing

Last edited by ltrdude; 03-25-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default upper arm

I failed to mention these arms are laser cut out of Nylon 6/6 .It is very strong and its not brittle like other materials.As soon as I get a set done they will be track tested,not by me my track is still under snow and water.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bill Wyatt
for anyone that has put the 4 front end on the 5...

Are you pulling the 1mm shim at the hub/steering arm connection and mounting the steering ball directly to the hub arm?

Also...does the front upper arm hinge pin still go in the upper position?
Not using the spacer under the steering link. I used upper and lower position car felt more stable in lower position.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER
Not using the spacer under the steering link. I used upper and lower position car felt more stable in lower position.
awesome...thanks for the info.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
I think what you wrote is wrong.

Here are some idea why some mrx5 had runaway accidents :

1. Receiver heat problem ( no air cooling inside tiny radio box )
2. Vibration problem. Not enough damping between receiver and radio box. If I put very thick double tape foam, the receiver casing actually touch the radio box.
3. Squeezing all cables ( 2 servos, 1 power, 1 transponder ) in one cramped exit hole probably creates electronic noises.
I agree with this this theory, noise caused by the drive train or by metal to metal is not a problem with 2.4 receivers, however vibration to the receiver or heat could cause problems. I'm not sure about electrical noise but voltage drop from high power servos has proven to cause drop outs in spektrum receivers. That should not be a problem with a 6 volt receiver pack unless the current capability of the receiver is not up to the job. It's a good idea to check battery packs under load to check for voltage sag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.