Wiki Posts
Search

New Used RS4

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default New Used RS4

Got a used RS4 with no motor or pipe seems to be in okay shape needs a few plastic parts like fuel tank and radio box cover. What parts break on these things most often. Want to get a few back up parts for the crash box.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Pope NJ
Got a used RS4 with no motor or pipe seems to be in okay shape needs a few plastic parts like fuel tank and radio box cover. What parts break on these things most often. Want to get a few back up parts for the crash box.
Which model RS4 to be exact? The 2, 3, SS, or Evo...the latter three are closer to similar than the first. The 2 has belts, the other three are shaft drive. I'm only asking since you said used and jsut to be clear.

All the cars are pretty sturdy however the earlier models lost front dogbones quite often. So, if you are jsut blasting away in parking losts, you should be ok. If you are actually doing club or parking lot racing, then you'll want to get some lower supension arms and front-drive knuckles. upgrad to the beefer ballcaps on the steering and throttle arms. Thos used to pop off alot on the older models.

Hope that helps...
Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

It has dogbones no belts.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That looks like the RS4 3 to me. Can't tell if its the SS without the engine, as that was the major difference betrween the 3 and SS. The 3 had a .15 and the SS had a .18 engine and was a 2-speed right out the box. I think the 3 was just single speed. not sure.

As I noted in another post about RS4, you should be ok with the car the way it is if you are just blastign around in the open parking lots. However if you are rough with your toys or racing with others, I suggest a spare set of lower suppension arms and front-drive knuckles, and also upgrade to the beefier steering rods and ballcaps. HPI has a kit for about 18 bucks. This will help keep them from popping off too much....Which I think was by design...but a nuisance, none the less.

Last edited by Kyo83; 01-25-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks needs a few things but it will be just fine for messing around in front of my house after work with my son.