Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Initiate

cab-c01 vs mtx5 with one good kit
sorry i new ni rc
Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PhatPat
How does the offset effect the handling on the capricorn? I run on a large smooth medium traction track. Does anybody ever run the 2mm spacers on the outside odf the uprights?
It's quite a hard question to answer because the offset changes quite a lot of things.

When you change the offset but want the track width to remain the same you change the wishbone length which in order changes the actual spring rate on the wheel.

Basically the offset changes the scrub radius and the amount the car is lifted when the wheels are steered.

According to my own testing you will have the most grip and best tire wear when you run all the shims on the inside on the front and rear axle. Although this is with the Capricorn wheels which already have 0,65mm offset in the front and 0,85 offset in the rear.
Moving a 0,6mm shim to the outside on the front axle feels like it has more steering but personally I think it only makes the reaction faster and doesn't add grip to the front axle.

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
The boy TQed and won the Tourers at the Bayside Cup (combined gas and electric) meeting in Brisbane today, and also bagged the Best Junior's award. The Capricorn car was just awesome, and the Capricorn tires are simply the best tires you can get. We have a lot to thank our sponsors Radical Hobbies & Capricorn for, we would never have got as far this without their support.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Nice one, congratulations!!.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrgsr
Have many other people chopped up the top deck like the lab c02?
I believe this mod will help the car in bumpy tracks and offer more front end grip
I received some feedback from others who tried it and all found it a big improvement, the car feels more balanced, more turn in steering.

Two more pictures from the C02 update kit:

The upgrade kit will be available at the end of this month, hope to have info regarding the price asap.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

I also tried to the cut radio tray and liked it better. I used it cut at the Nationals we just had and felt the car had more steering going in. I used 1 steering rod link to keep the steering smooth through the turn.

I think it will be liked around the World. Who does not like more steering

DJ Apolaro
Attached Thumbnails Capricorn LAB-C01-radio-tray-mod.jpg  
Old 10-06-2011, 03:17 PM
TMF
Tech Initiate

Sorry Dj,

I don't understand why you cut the radio tray (more flex??) and then you put a rod link (less flex??). Can anyone explain me? I didn't understand you.

And... when this solution would be better, on high bite track or poor grip track?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TMF
Sorry Dj,

I don't understand why you cut the radio tray (more flex??) and then you put a rod link (less flex??). Can anyone explain me? I didn't understand you.

And... when this solution would be better, on high bite track or poor grip track?

Thanks
The amount of flex added with the cut radio tray is quite big, and thus adds quite a bit of steering.
But because of the added flexing of the chassis it also "scrubs" more through the corner, which is costing cornerspeed through medium and high speed corners.
By adding one or two braces you reduce the amount of corner speed lost because of scrubbing. But even with two braces you still have more steering compared to the stock radio tray.
Because the cross braces use ball links they only brace the car in the left-right orientation but not up and down, which still allows the radio tray to flex.

It should work on any type of track, but I think it has the biggest advantage on a bumpy, low grip track.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:15 AM
TMF
Tech Initiate

O.K. DS, I understand:

The mod allows flex in longitudinal axle and a little in transverse axle (depending on number of braces) compared to the stock solution.

Thanks!

Last edited by TMF; 10-07-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TMF
Sorry Dj,

Thanks
First let me say I have only tried it at this one track, but I liked it. With no brace the car would enter awesome and on some turns it would not be consistent through the turn. When I added the brace it made the car smoother and consistent through the actual middle of the turn and still gave better turn in. Also keep in mind the flex is still high, as the link is on with ball ends so the chassis still flexes. Not as much as without, but still quit a bit. I did not try it with 2 links so I do not know what this will do. I felt like the link kept the car from over flexing under the stress of the wheels turned, If that makes any sense.

Hope this helps,

DJ Apolaro
Old 10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default Well done

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
First let me say I have only tried it at this one track, but I liked it. With no brace the car would enter awesome and on some turns it would not be consistent through the turn. When I added the brace it made the car smoother and consistent through the actual middle of the turn and still gave better turn in. Also keep in mind the flex is still high, as the link is on with ball ends so the chassis still flexes. Not as much as without, but still quit a bit. I did not try it with 2 links so I do not know what this will do. I felt like the link kept the car from over flexing under the stress of the wheels turned, If that makes any sense.

Hope this helps,

DJ Apolaro
Congrats on an awesome result, some ppl elsewhere mentioned you were lucky... Just in case, on the very slight chance that they might be right, when your finished with your "luck", would it be too much asking if I could borrow it for a weekend?

cheers

h
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blis
Congrats on an awesome result, some ppl elsewhere mentioned you were lucky... Just in case, on the very slight chance that they might be right, when your finished with your "luck", would it be too much asking if I could borrow it for a weekend?

cheers

h

Thanks!!

I am not to worried about what others think. By being lucky, they must mean Paul and I were racing each other all week. We were the 2 consistent faster cars all week. Out of three rounds He TQ'd 2 and I was 2nd for those and I TQ'd the other 1. He had a fast run of 21 in 5:08 and mine was 21 in 5:09. In 1/8 I set the new track record during the event by 2.5 seconds, just had some mistakes in qualifying or I would have been further up. I also qualified for both finals directly (they take 4 cars direct), but hey, we all need some luck in this sport.

As for the sedan final. We could have all tried to push harder and get a faster lap. I will give up 1 tenth to keep all four wheels on the ground and not traction roll any day. Plus I start in last place from the first lap to then chase down Barry and Paul, must also be a lucky break on my part. Paul is a great driver and also a great friend. So no more about this topic. He has more victories than anyone can count.

The car is awesome and that is what really matters. That and this sport is just awesome to do and hang out with friends, which is what I really like.

When I am done with my luck I will mail it to you

DJ Apolaro
Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 PM
TMF
Tech Initiate

Hope this helps,

DJ Apolaro
O.K. With your and DS explanation now I have a better idea on how it feels.

Thanks again guys!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

No Problem and good luck. I know, DS is also here a lot with good support for the Capricorn racers.

DJ Apolaro
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Any word on price of the upgrade in the US?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks!!

I am not to worried about what others think. By being lucky, they must mean Paul and I were racing each other all week. We were the 2 consistent faster cars all week. Out of three rounds He TQ'd 2 and I was 2nd for those and I TQ'd the other 1. He had a fast run of 21 in 5:08 and mine was 21 in 5:09. In 1/8 I set the new track record during the event by 2.5 seconds, just had some mistakes in qualifying or I would have been further up. I also qualified for both finals directly (they take 4 cars direct), but hey, we all need some luck in this sport.

As for the sedan final. We could have all tried to push harder and get a faster lap. I will give up 1 tenth to keep all four wheels on the ground and not traction roll any day. Plus I start in last place from the first lap to then chase down Barry and Paul, must also be a lucky break on my part. Paul is a great driver and also a great friend. So no more about this topic. He has more victories than anyone can count.

The car is awesome and that is what really matters. That and this sport is just awesome to do and hang out with friends, which is what I really like.

When I am done with my luck I will mail it to you

DJ Apolaro
Well said DJ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.