R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post
the kyosho box is good, but get the JLR box if you can. its cheaper and you can power it with a single 3 cell lipo (I assume you have a lipo/nimh type charger, if not then the orion avionics or whatever replaced it is good)

amain doesn't have it, but check out http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...oducts_id=8789 and look at their catalog as well. you can save a lot ordering certain things from nitrohouse.

sorry I can't help you on the manifold/exhaust for the 18, nobody runs them in touring cars that I know of...
Have you used the Kyosho starter box? I've had a chance to use most, and it's one of the best you can buy. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it does have incredibly powerful motors, you can power it with Li-Pos as well, and it has a hard rubber wheel that's durable and much smaller in diameter than any other box I've used. The small wheel provides much more starting torque than a larger one, and it gets through the chassis much easier without polishing the sides of the flywheel opening. I certainly recommend it. I haven't used a better starter box.

P.S. Not to mention, there's exact instructions on where to place the pegs to line up most Kyosho vehicles on the box. It saves a lot of time and headaches when it comes to aligning the car to the box.

I would NOT recommend the JLR box. It only has a single motor and a large wheel, and can only be used on cars with transverse mounted engines. I would estimate that the Kyosho box is going to put out at least three times the starting torque, and its a much more versatile box. It will start engines of any size regardless of configuration, and it turns over even the tightest of new engines. The JLR box is ill-equipped to start a small block engine - no less a big block. There's simply no comparison.

The .18 OS engine uses the same size exhaust port as the .12 engines, so the same exhaust system will work for either engine, as long as they're both rear exhaust.

Last edited by SteveP; 04-14-2010 at 01:22 AM.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote