Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To LSD or not LSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default To LSD or not LSD

I am about to build a new car (FW-05R) and cannot decide to use the LSD gears or not in the rear diff.

I think it gives you a lot of accleration out of corner but it also pushes under power.

What do you all think? worthwhile trade-off or not?

If I were to use the LSD, what weight of oil will you recommend so that it does not lock up too easily?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:29 AM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Are you talking about the TCD, Active diff, Negative diff? If it's the TCD then use the fluid supplied or torsen diff fluid. My own experience with the TCD is that I seemed to have better on power control over the rear end of the car, more progressive.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rjl
Are you talking about the TCD, Active diff, Negative diff? If it's the TCD then use the fluid supplied or torsen diff fluid. My own experience with the TCD is that I seemed to have better on power control over the rear end of the car, more progressive.
I am talking about the TCD gears. I did try the fluid provided but it is so light and seems to lock up easily. Once it lock up, the car goes nowhere but straight forward. I was told that using a heavier oil will prevent the gears to lock up so easily.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:20 AM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

When new the diff may feel a bit notchy but shouldn't lock up ever. Use the fluid that came with the diff and fill as per the instructions none of mine ever "locked".
Old 03-22-2004, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rjl
When new the diff may feel a bit notchy but shouldn't lock up ever. Use the fluid that came with the diff and fill as per the instructions none of mine ever "locked".
My understanding of limited slip differential is that it is suppose to provides a certain amount of slip before it locks up. It works much like a normal diff but will lock up when one wheel spins much faster than the other or under full power. When it "locks up," the rear is essentially working like a spool, thus the understeer.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:20 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

The resistance increases but it won't lock.