Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with my inferno GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Problem with my inferno GT

Hey, new to this forum, so.. Anyway, I've been trying to restore my Inferno GT (the first version, not the new one) because It's been sitting in my basement for a few years. The engine works fine, and I'm planning on getting new servos for it soon, but a problem I've noticed is that it doesn't shift into second gear. The gears are new, just replaced them, and I put the transmission back together just as the manual says. In a way, I'm new to nitros cuz i sorta forgot what to do, and there's really no LHS nearby me. Can anybody tell me if i'm missing something here?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

go to gt buggy base onroad thread they will help you
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds like you need to adjust the 2nd gear shift point. But make sure that the transmission is not shifting into 2nd as soon as the clutch engages.
I recommend the Proboards Kyosho Inferno GT site, http://infernogt.proboards.com/
there is lots of information you can read related to setting up the pawl type transmission to shift.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Check if your 2 speed clutch/changer is working properly.If it is,then you have to adjust it by screwing in the set-screw on it.In your situation,try screwing in the set-screw more,clockwise,it will make the clutch/changer shift later in the powerband enabling you to hear the shift.

Or check your 2nd gear spur,it has the little pin notched in the gear for engagement.Sometimes that pin wears out and the clutch/changer cannot engage/contact the pin.

Check the manual on page 8 for the clutch/changer adjustment.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

When assembling the tranmission it is easy to flip the second gear clutch.... errr... or so I have heard...

Make sure that the little arm is going the right direction...
Old 01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys! it's a little late to go out now, so I'll try it out tomorow. hopefully i can get it to shift into second gear tomorow. got the rest of the car fixed up though, new servos, wheels and tires, glow plug, exhaust, etc.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

These cars are a lot of fun.I love mine.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Rookie

oh by the way, do any of u guys know the stock engine setting on the inferno gt engine? It's the stock one, GXR.28 i think it's called. just want to get the engine set at factory settings before I try tuning it.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Rookie

ran my inferno gt today for the first time in a LONG time, and it was a beast! really happy with how well it works after being left alone for so long. As i was driving it though, I still couldn't hear it shift into second, but i think it does shift. While doing some full throttle runs up and down my street, I can see a great increase in performance after about 3 seconds, but now my question is, is it easy to hear the inferno gt shift?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCADDICT94
ran my inferno gt today for the first time in a LONG time, and it was a beast! really happy with how well it works after being left alone for so long. As i was driving it though, I still couldn't hear it shift into second, but i think it does shift. While doing some full throttle runs up and down my street, I can see a great increase in performance after about 3 seconds, but now my question is, is it easy to hear the inferno gt shift?
I once put the shift mechanism in BACKWARDS and it would not shift. Check to see if you have it put in the correct way.

Lee
Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
I once put the shift mechanism in BACKWARDS and it would not shift. Check to see if you have it put in the correct way.

Lee
I assembled the transmission EXACTLY as it says to in the instruction manual and took a good amount of time to make sure I had everything correct, spent a good hour on that. I'm going to take it to my nearest hobby shop (30 mins away) and see if they can help me out with it. thanks though.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCADDICT94
I assembled the transmission EXACTLY as it says to in the instruction manual and took a good amount of time to make sure I had everything correct, spent a good hour on that. I'm going to take it to my nearest hobby shop (30 mins away) and see if they can help me out with it. thanks though.
Try holding the car with the wheels suspended then give it slowly 1/4-1/2 throttle you should be able to feel the shift even if you don't really hear it.

In my exp with the stock 2-speed there is a good chance it is shifting very early instead of not shifting at all or basically starting out in second gear which is a common occurrence with the stock 2-speed.

To adjust for a later shift turn the adjustment screw clockwise at 1/2 turn increments. (Check your manual for directions how) Keep in mind that because the car sat for a couple of years the spring that is in the 2 speed has been very compressed for a quite some time and has become weaker and could easily be the reason for the problem. You may have to replace the spring if the adjustment bottoms out and it still shifts to early.

Ipanema sells a near bullet proof 2-speed conversion for the Inferno GT you may want to go in that direction.

Take a look at www.Ipanemasports.com

Hope this helps GL