Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You have a point and you are right my bad
Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You are right and you have a point, but a chassis can be faster than another chassis.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hoboshop,

This is more than just the chassis. The pics show that there is little variation in their design between brands. It is more about how efficient the drivetrain is from one brand to the next. With everything else being the same (engine, clutch, clutchbell/spur gears, etc), the car with the better drive ratio will be faster. This is why in electric touring, it is hard to beat the Xray car (has the lowest internal ratio at 1.7 whereas everyone else are in the low 2s).
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
where's the chassis shot of the G4RS '09 ?
Post a picture, I would love to see it too since I have driven all of the other cars except the g4 series. If you have square overview shots we should start looking at upper deck designs as well to learn where the flex is in each car.

lil-bump, if you missed my point I will simplify it for you. For every "revolutionary" change each manufacturer promises, they end up basically copying someone else except for a few. This isn't a 'VS' thread, so I am not taking any sides and don't drive any of the cars involved at the moment but I have driven all of them mentioned except the g4.

I half expected either the Losi or Xray offroad cars to have belt drive or something really revolutionary when they had their spy shots released but again.. just a copy with minor improvements. Or perhaps shaft drive for a nitro sedan, something.. I know its a copy of electric and there is really only one way to get the power from the mid bulkhead to the front but there has to be some ingenuity somewhere?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the reason for all cars looking alike is the fact that designing an RC car is quite simple and straightforward. With all the modern cad and simulation programs pretty much everyone with an engineering degree and a copy of race car vehicle dynamics (by Milliken recommend it to everyone who wants to know the true principles of race car setup) could design an RC car.
And because it all is relatively simple, everyone starts to draw the same conclusions and the computer analyzing will show, for instance which is the best chassis design for a certain amount of flex and certain handling characteristics. Because of CNC-machining getting cheaper (China) you will see more complicated designs and more aluminum, but the basic geometry will stay pretty much the same.
Furthermore you could easily spot that the RC cars generations.
The old generation of 720, MTX-4, v-one blabla and NT1. The next generation was started by the 733 and followed by the Velox V10. The Capricorn is somewhat between both generations, I would call it an evolved NT1.

Regarding Question 1:
You will see some small differences, like different springrates and antirollbars. But the basic setup would be very much alike, at least this is my experience with identical 1:1 racecars.
The small difference are mainly because of driver preference, some prefer a little understeer, some a little oversteer.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I agree that the basic geometry stays the same -

IMHO the handling differences comes from weight distribution and the material strength i.e. the firmness ( is that even a word ) of the plastics on the arms .
Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
Post a picture, I would love to see it too since I have driven all of the other cars except the g4 series. If you have square overview shots we should start looking at upper deck designs as well to learn where the flex is in each car.

lil-bump, if you missed my point I will simplify it for you. For every "revolutionary" change each manufacturer promises, they end up basically copying someone else except for a few. This isn't a 'VS' thread, so I am not taking any sides and don't drive any of the cars involved at the moment but I have driven all of them mentioned except the g4.

I half expected either the Losi or Xray offroad cars to have belt drive or something really revolutionary when they had their spy shots released but again.. just a copy with minor improvements. Or perhaps shaft drive for a nitro sedan, something.. I know its a copy of electric and there is really only one way to get the power from the mid bulkhead to the front but there has to be some ingenuity somewhere?
Thanks for the clarification. But I believe I figured it out.

I'm about as sharp as a bowling ball
Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
I think the reason for all cars looking alike is the fact that designing an RC car is quite simple and straightforward. With all the modern cad and simulation programs pretty much everyone with an engineering degree and a copy of race car vehicle dynamics (by Milliken recommend it to everyone who wants to know the true principles of race car setup) could design an RC car.
And because it all is relatively simple, everyone starts to draw the same conclusions and the computer analyzing will show, for instance which is the best chassis design for a certain amount of flex and certain handling characteristics. Because of CNC-machining getting cheaper (China) you will see more complicated designs and more aluminum, but the basic geometry will stay pretty much the same.
Furthermore you could easily spot that the RC cars generations.
The old generation of 720, MTX-4, v-one blabla and NT1. The next generation was started by the 733 and followed by the Velox V10. The Capricorn is somewhat between both generations, I would call it an evolved NT1.

Regarding Question 1:
You will see some small differences, like different springrates and antirollbars. But the basic setup would be very much alike, at least this is my experience with identical 1:1 racecars.
The small difference are mainly because of driver preference, some prefer a little understeer, some a little oversteer.
This may actually be the point, everyone in the RC industry is going through the same schools, reading the same books and using the same programs unlike when the industry started and some guy drank some sake and just drew it on a napkin and bam we had the grasshopper.. So when you have a limited set of dimensions to work with and then principals to work around (cog, balance, narrow diffs/long arms and such) you apparently end up with nearly the same stress points so the main differences become the materials.

I watched Serpent first hand testing new plastics for the 733 that they believed were dramatically better than their original set although one team driver believes that the original plastics have their moment to shine and he is storing them until that moment. Perhaps more durable or perhaps faster, I am not sure of their exact findings.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HoboShop
They my look similar but they don't perform the same! Get over it the kyosho and the xray are better cars then the mugen. I can show you laptimes of drivers who use to drive the mtx4r and are now faster with the 733,vonerrr evo2 wc,nt1. The mtx4r is great car had one 2years ago with all the hopups made for the car but I was alot faster with the vonerrr evo2 wc last year. This year I am going to run the nt1 ec to see how I like it. I don't go off of what other people say about motors, and cars, I buy them a test them out my self. So stop these stupid mtx4r vs the world threads the car is outdated. By the way the only reason why the mtx4r won the 2006 worlds is because Andrea rossi broke Chris toso car when he was up by over 2 laps on the entire field. And it still took him the whole race to reel Chris in even through he was driveing with a broken front suspension. Kyosho tqed at every 10 scale world chamionship and either won or had two cars on the podium. Enough said!!!!!
I can tell you that it's mostly about the driver.

When Robert Pietsch drags his bone stock MTX4-R to one of our regionals, he usually puts at least a lap on all of those newer cars out there.

I have actually overheard strong supporters of brand X or Y considering to buy a Mugen, since Robert can't be that much faster

Yes, the MTX4 is an old car, but when you UNDERSTAND it, it's still very competitive.
I'm not saying I do, but there's certainly people out there who do.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
where's the chassis shot of the G4RS '09 ?
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
Post a picture, I would love to see it too
Bah! Here you go. Earlier G4XX series on left, G4RS on right.

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 01-16-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Slapped Together History of Rear Camber Links

Move convergence ...

I can't begin to tell you what a pain it was to create this. This is the best I could do given the limited images and dates available on the internet. If something is wrong, please let me know so I can fix it.

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 01-16-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

I actually think that mugen always was upgraded when others brands had upgrades as optionals....Seems the easier car 1/10 atm....
But i have to notice that xray makes the different cause indifferent the set up you use simply it works!!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Question:

Yes or No? Since everyone isn't converging to the same design independently and at the same time, as you map changes over time, does innovation give the first company to implement a change a competitive advantage over the other cars until the other companies implement a similar design change?

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 01-16-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Question:

Yes or No? Since everyone isn't converging to the same design independently and at the same time, as you map changes over time, does innovation give the first company to implement a change a competitive advantage over the other cars until the other companies implement a similar design change?
I would say yes at a pro level. If you look at Formula 1, it is the first team that can adapt to the seasons new rules that is drastically faster (0.5s per lap sometimes) and then the rest catch up mid season too late to score any points but they all get there independently.

I race formula ford, spec miata and 125cc shifter light and I can tell you that there are guys out there that spend 10x the normal budget on their cars and yes they are a tiny bit better but a driver is more important at the grass roots level but a pro driver and a 10x budget car is hard to beat.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Do you guys prefer driving with 3mm or 4mm chassis ?

Can you feel the handling differences ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.