R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   OPS engines question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/3594-ops-engines-question.html)

RAP66 03-10-2002 10:12 AM

OPS engines question

A long time ago... (well over 15 years) OPS engines (from Ireland) were the ones to get for RC boating...

I recently saw an ad for OPS engines for RC Cars... KEWL!!! So that lead me to this.....

Does anyone run this brand anymore? If so how does it compare to the newer engines... like the Mugen MT12?

Thanks

Rich

FREAKAH 03-10-2002 12:33 PM

As far as I know only Europeans are currently running OPS. Nobody has imported this brand to the US in 5 years or so. Last I heard was that they merged with BMT.

I'm pretty sure OPS is an Italian company. Also, I think Mondial(the other Italian engine co.) and OPS is one and the same.

IMHO, I don't think that they are up to the current standards that Novarossi, Picco, OS etc. have set but then again I havent seen one run in 5 years.

I had an interesting observation though. Anybody notice some resemblance between CMB and OPS as far as case design.

RAP66 03-10-2002 01:40 PM

OPS used to be imported by a copmpany called Shamrock Imports, base out of Missippi (I believe).... ANd are now brought in by Horizon..... I could be wrong though...

HEHEHE DO we have anybody racing this engine from Europe?? I would like to hear about how the engine compares to the Nova's and PIccos....

Reason why I bring this up is because I want to race an engine that is different... every one and their mother is running tha MT12... I just wana be diferent......

Rich

MOTORMAN...

what's your take on these motors?

Motorman 03-10-2002 05:53 PM

Unfortunatly their not a serious player at the moment. They are way behind.
The new collari roar motor looks good, good enough I will be putting my name on some.

Rossi had a new line of 12 engines comming out last year but I don't think it ever materialized, I tried to get some but their importer would not respond to emails.

RAP66 03-10-2002 06:11 PM

Thanks Motorman!!!

I was talking to a buddy of mine also about this, he mentioned a motor from Spain.... MONDALE? that was an OPS knockoff... but that was for his MP5... hehehehe

Rich

BallPy 03-12-2002 10:47 AM

I know they are still running the OPS in boats. There is club not far from my house that between OPS and CMB that is about all those guys are running in there boats. But Hard Jokur is right there has to be something that everyone is not running that is as good as any of them. People jump on band wagons and stay there until some big name person comes out with an engine and bust everybodies butts. Then everyone wants the engine that he ran and they will all go out and get that engine. It is a never ending story of who has the right stuff today. Sorry I just hate when everyone uses what everyone else has instead of tring to find something that works for them.