Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My batteries are melting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Default My batteries are melting!

Hello, I tried starting a engine using the Orion Race Starter Box, but it will not turn stiff flywheels very well. I am wondering; is there a better starting box with more torque?
And when I press down and the electric motor stops it heats up the batteries (Orion Sport Power 3300mAh Stick Pack) to melting point, well it melts the plastic casing. Are there any better batteries I could try that will solve the problem or is it just a case of getting a better starting box?

tjfm
Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Use a heat gun to pre heat the motor before you try and start it. It will loosen up the sleeve and make it easier to start. 175°F is the magic number.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default batterys

hey im not sure if it will fit your starter box or not. i've been using a 12v gell
battery in my associated starter for two years with no issues. their a bout 20. bucks
Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cyberacer
Use a heat gun to pre heat the motor before you try and start it. It will loosen up the sleeve and make it easier to start. 175°F is the magic number.
+1, your engine probably still has pinch in the piston/sleeve. Also, heat the sides of the block where the piston and sleeve are besides just heating the head.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Initiate

So cheers, any recommendation on a new starter box?
And about the pinch in the sleeve I have had it running a few times, lets say for 15 mins max, how long does it take for it to run freely?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

If your batteries got hot, I would imagine that the motor/s in the starter box have been damaged also. It dosent take much for the brushes to burn out.

As for the pinch, depending on the motor, it could take at least a dozen tanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

There is another possibility. And I have seen it too many times. The rubber wheel is touching the chassis at the same time it is touching the flywheel. No starter box can start a chassis!!! Make absolutly sure the rubber wheel only touches flywheel.

Last edited by wizby; 01-06-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A better starter box with more torque. the one which uses a real 1/1 automobile starter motor which is bigger than 775. that is huge motor indeed but the torque was marverlous. ppl use it to crank up 1/8 off road buggy engine. but it can be use for multipurpose.

i myself personally use dual 775 motor starter box & happy with it.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

One more thing if your batt is melting. If you are using LiPo do check if the batt does bloats. If it does it will explode with flames when you charge. But for starter box most ppl use Lead Acid batt or NiMH 7.2V x 2.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm curious do you have one Orion pack or two? If you only have one that may be the issue. I use 4s lipo's and would suggest you use at least 12v, 14v is better and will turn tight motors. My box spins the motor so fast the clutch engages .
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After you setup that box to not rub things and you prewarm that engine... after a pinch you will have a MOFO of a time starting it so warm the thing up...

Dump the white tamiya connectors on those batteries for some DEANS connectors. That should help alot with battery heat...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

My starter box has 2 tamiya connectors & I m using both 3800mAH NiMH stick pack. To date no issues cause I m using dual 775 motor on starter box. Never at all it stalled. If it does your batteries need recharging.

If you are using a charged batteries when stalling happens. Do expect heating on battery end.