Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Super Nitro RS4

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Default HPI Super Nitro RS4

Does anyone have a good starting point in suspension setup for this car? I'll be running this car in parking lot surface when summer hits so it'll be warm-hot. Also any suggestions for tire/insert combo? Thanx guys and gals.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

icon;

Unfortunately because of design limitations and Tire availability, the SN can be hard to dial in on some surfaces.

5-6mm Ride Height at both ends.

Try to get 5-6mm of Droop in the Rear and 3-4mm in the Front.

HPI 33R Tires with the supplied inserts work good on a warm to hot surfaces.

-0- Front toe and 10 deg caster blocks are a good starting point.

45wt Shock oil Front, 40wt oil Rear.

Thick silicone grease in the Front diff and the Kit grease (Vasoline) works good in the Rear.

Green progressive springs in Front and Red in the Rear.

This should be a reasonably good starting point for a medium traction.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Tech Addict

thanx pops :-).

I'll try a similar setting to what you recommended but i may have to pump up the suspension slightly stiffer cuz i'm using a decent powerplant (Novarossi RR12L5). also do you recommend the use of sway bars? i've heard of the stocker being inefficient but my friend's SNRS4 has a custom rear sway set.

any tips for the kit itself? i decided to go super nitro and selling my R40 cuz i wanted to try something different. parts are starting to get hard to find so hopefully i'll have mine pieced together by the middle of next month.

thanx again for the setup.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:32 AM
Tech Master

Arrow super nitro

icon: does your kit have a foam bumper included? mine doesnt so i have to order at tower hobbies including the two speed gears..
Old 03-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

icon;

I think you'll miss the handling of your R40.

The Super Nitro suspension geometry is based on the older NRS4-2 and just isn't as capable and tunable as the R40.
I truely believe that this is a big reason the SN's lost popularity at the race tracks.

I alway liked the Car with a Front swaybar, but the Rear bar never seemed to make a noticable difference.

To bad HPI couldn't make a R60 (Super Nitro) version!
Old 03-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

popsracer:

hehe, i have the R40 kit but have not put it together. i was going to wait until the 2004 ed. upgrades to build it.

but i think i know what you mean. the design itself is inferior to the tourers nowadays. the only saving grace is that it is very light weight and fairly simple concept. still, it is a beautiful car and i have seen some crazy stuff people did to upgrade it, so its a very "fun" car, although cost of ownership is more than the R40 with all the options i have started to acquire.

it would be cool to see HPI develop a "R60". IMO the class would be a nice alternative to 200mm tourers for those who want something a little bigger but more cost effective than 1/8th or the closer sized 1/10 235mm class. the car is definitely more scale than the grossly outrageous GTP offering from OFNA.

buboy:

the car stock does not include the foam bumper or 2 speed transmission. i'm doing quite a buildup and it wont look anything stock. hopefully i can acquire all the parts by the middle of april and start construction then.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up SRS4

It was my oldests first car, 6 years ago.

I liked it better as a rally car than a road car. The limited tunning was well within its range.

As a road car, it worked fine for him, since he was into "The fast and the furious" and loves to "slide" now...or he did....pounds of dust on it and he won't let me snatch it from him either! LOL
Old 03-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: SRS4

Originally posted by Tom G
It was my oldests first car, 6 years ago.

I liked it better as a rally car than a road car. LOL
Let me tell what has crossed my mind before.

You COULD buy a Super Nitro Rally and using the shocks and towers from the Nitro 3, build a on-road SHAFT drive Super. The Nitro 3's have better suspension geometry and handle better.

It might require a few more parts to complete, but I don't think it would be unreasonable.

Something to think about.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default SNRS4+R3, hmmmm

Now look what ya done! I'm actually considering sneaking into the boys room and "lifting" that car! LOL LOL

I ran the rally-version in a dirt oval with no rocks or objects on the track. Dialed it in using the same principle the 1/8 buggy guys had with only two or three tweaks after that.

I stopped when I felt my self thinking "sprint car"! LOL LOL

Seriously, it can work, or at least in theory [in the vast, dark galaxy of my grape]. Shock towers, arms, shafts and shocks...sounds simple enough [last time I said that, the mods cost more than the kit!].

Thanks Pops.
^5
Old 03-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Addict

I think the current Nitro 3 uses suspension borrowed from the 2nd generation RS4, which of course shares parts with the Super Nitro. How would a converted super nitro rally to onroad be better than the belted one in the suspension department?

It would be cool just to not have to worry about pebbles, but i dont see the benefit of a Nitro 3 suspension.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

icon;

If you compare set-up sheets between the Nitro-2/Super Nitro and the Nitro-3. You will notice that there is another camber link mounting postion availible on the Nitro-3's.

This really makes a noticable difference in how the Car handles (better). I think there was something else that was better, but it's been a long time since I've had the sheets in front of me.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Ah, i see what you mean. The setup is the similar to my old Pro 2. Dont know if this would work but i have seen people change their shocktowers in the Pro 2 to graphite units that has different camber positions to change the roll characteristics (but you must use a tie rod with ball ends).