Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on car choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Advice on car choice

im looking into getting a nitro onroad car for this seasion whats a goot kit. im looking at getting a used kit.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Default new to touring

my 2 cents look into the team magic rtr...you just need fuel and a glow plug starter...and your off. its a great car to learn on and plenty fast. 309.00 @ wolfhobbies.com. wolf is a great guy and very helpful.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D-Bizzle
im looking into getting a nitro onroad car for this seasion whats a goot kit. im looking at getting a used kit.
Stick with the top 4 brands (in no particular order):
  • Team XRAY NT1
  • Kyosho V-ONE RRR
  • Mugen Seiki MTX4
  • Serpent 720 or 733
If you're just racing locally, then your best choice is whatever your LHS supports of the above cars. Also, go to your local track and checkout what the other guys are using. The more guys that have the car you get, the more help you'll be able to tap into when you need it.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default advice

i run electric onroad now and have for the past couple years. what about motors? i want a car that handles good and a good motor
Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nitro car do not use motor. They run on engine & the sizes are different for 1/10 as well 1/8 scale.

But for sure the 1/8 scale is much powerful & faster depending on their build quality.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

i run electric onroad now and have for the past couple years. what about motors? i want a car that handles good and a good motor
For 1/10th, any .12 OS Engine (not Speed versions) or an OFNA JLR Red dot would be just fine.

What engines do they carry at your hobby store?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default new to nitro touring

I don;t know...maybe its me. but i wouldnt advise anyone thats new to nitro racing to buy a top end roller.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roach
I don;t know...maybe its me. but i wouldnt advise anyone thats new to nitro racing to buy a top end roller.
He's not new to racing, just nitro! Get one of the major brands that you can find local support at your hobby shop and track! As far as engines, the ones mentioned are great, or you can always go with a Novarossi based motor!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Default advice

well the shop that runs the outdoor program has the nt1. i ran a xray electric mod. i know the value in a high end car kit, i want to be competitive.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

XRAY NT1 EC
Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Default lighten up!

geezzz guys lighten up!...i only said that because he said maybe a used kit.
and thought maybe he didnt have a grand to drop!. and thought that might be better on the wallet. thats all...my bad.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Serpent 733...good choice.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Stick with the top 4 brands (in no particular order):
  • Team XRAY NT1
  • Kyosho V-ONE RRR
  • Mugen Seiki MTX4
  • Serpent 720 or 733
If you're just racing locally, then your best choice is whatever your LHS supports of the above cars. Also, go to your local track and checkout what the other guys are using. The more guys that have the car you get, the more help you'll be able to tap into when you need it.

Good luck!
This is the best answer. Maybe we should make this a stickie...
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spenzalii
This is the best answer. Maybe we should make this a stickie...

Once I finish the beginner section of my Web site, there will be a full set of articles to help people choose the right car to meet their needs, budget and skill level. I just wish more people would chime in (as you have) to help me provide the best information and advice possible. See my other post here.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

When evaluating what is a good choice of car for you, you have to ask yourself this:

1. What are you looking to do: bash, club race, or high-level competitive racing? This will determine what car you will eventually purchase. You don't want to sink $800-$1000 into a car just to bash but you don't want to buy a cheaper RTR that will get smoked at a regional or other big race.

2. What kind of support for the car is in your area? It is great to get a top-level car but if you have to jump through flaming hoops for parts, was it worth it? Check into what car(s) you local hobby shop (LHS) carries or what they can get for you (if they don't carry it) and how easy is it for them to obtain parts for you when you need them.

3. If you club race or race at a higher level, what are the guys running in your area? You don't want to get a car that none of your fellow racers run so set-up and parts help will be non-existent (ie: you get a Team Magic G4 while most everyone else is running an Xray NT1).

There will be many guys tell you to get this car or that car, but you have to get what will suit you. Personally, I run Mugen Seiki products (MTX4 & MRX4R) but will not tell you it is the best there is, was, or ever will be. That is just my preference (and I have tried many of the other cars on the market over the years). A lot depends on what you want to do and what your budget can withstand. Do research on all the cars that are available for what you are wanting to do (1/10th, 1/8th, or 1/8th GT), weigh the pros and cons for each car, and choose what you feel most comfortable. What we don't want is to see you buy a car, be completely dissatisfied with it in a short matter of time, then completely bail out of racing because of it, possibly never to return. Take your time and make the right choice for you. Good luck!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.