R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   new to on road any suggestions on a good all around touring car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/353512-new-road-any-suggestions-good-all-around-touring-car.html)

Brinkster96 12-20-2009 05:51 PM

new to on road any suggestions on a good all around touring car

im new to on road cars but not new to the sport i have three off road trucks and i thought i might try an on road car so any suggestions to good 1/10 scale touring cars that are good for beginers would be appreciated.

any coments are great
THANKS

blis 12-20-2009 09:50 PM

What do the others run...

Originally Posted by Brinkster96 (Post 6744548)
im new to on road cars but not new to the sport i have three off road trucks and i thought i might try an on road car so any suggestions to good 1/10 scale touring cars that are good for beginers would be appreciated.

any coments are great
THANKS

Unlike offroad racing where transmission of power on offroad allows for traction loss by the surface alone, it relieves the stress on the car. On road racing is all about traction and managing the bite. In addition, off road cars are spec'd to be tougher and more resilient, on road racing is all about reducing weight to near breaking points.

We use belts that wear, we devour pinions and spurs, we chew tyres in far less time and we need additional gear like starter boxes, tyre truers, clutch tools, 2 speed transmission etc etc etc.

Go to your nearest on road race track and see what the others are using, identify the clutches they use and what the most popular choice is there. Consider the additional expenses involved in getting as much power down as possible, no slip, no drift and no airtime.

Race bred Xrays, Mugens, Kysoshos, Shepherds, Team Magics, Serpents, they are all good in the right hands and careful preparation. And consider why it is off road racing is growing faster than on road. Personally and while I do not use them, Mugen would be my choice if others in the garages use them. Tougher and well race bred out of the box.

Id be bold enough to say we spend more time and $$ on the components that are attached to the crank shaft of the engine than an off roader would spend on the whole car. Bold statement.. indeed! Intended to fuel your thoughts and decision process.

h

wizby 12-21-2009 02:30 PM

It think "blis" is trying to say onroad is harder to do than offroad. And I agree Dirt was alot easier. Betwwen centax style clutches, tire stagger, and geometry setup. Its alot harder. But very satisfying when you finally get a car you can hustle around a track. I think the XRAY in the default settings is the best you could start with. You really dont want a car thats not hooked up to the track. (thats not fun) Onroad is where you can use every ounce of power your engine can put out. Without any tire slip! Buy a good engine!

jameslow 12-21-2009 03:56 PM

any coments are great
THANKS

since u are not the first time into this sport, get a better car. You will end up spending more if u get a basic kit. And it is easier to sell if u end up feeling on-road touring car is not ur type of tea!

- Go for what u like
- Gd parts support at ur local hobby shop

I would suggest Xray and Team Magic!:sweat:

blis 12-21-2009 05:19 PM

The cost of prep outways the initial purchase.

Originally Posted by wizby (Post 6748309)
It think "blis" is trying to say onroad is harder to do than offroad. And I agree Dirt was alot easier. Betwwen centax style clutches, tire stagger, and geometry setup. Its alot harder. But very satisfying when you finally get a car you can hustle around a track. I think the XRAY in the default settings is the best you could start with. You really dont want a car thats not hooked up to the track. (thats not fun) Onroad is where you can use every ounce of power your engine can put out. Without any tire slip! Buy a good engine!

Tks Wizby :)

TfnG 12-21-2009 05:45 PM

whatever car has the most support at your local track is the right car to go with. personally, at my track its an Xray.

also, u may as well spend more $$ up front and get something good than go cheap and just spend more later. just my advice.

blis 12-21-2009 05:56 PM

Ditto..

Originally Posted by TfnG (Post 6749075)
whatever car has the most support at your local track is the right car to go with. personally, at my track its an Xray.

also, u may as well spend more $$ up front and get something good than go cheap and just spend more later. just my advice.

+1

YmeBP 12-23-2009 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by blis (Post 6749131)
+1

+2

I went the Used Associated Nitro TC 3 route when i started in nitro last year. Although the car was good, to be honest it would have been money better spent on a good motor instead of that car. The irony is i spend less maintaining my Kyosho RRR Evo2 than i did on the TC3 :).

HarKonnenD 12-24-2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by YmeBP (Post 6756689)
+2

I went the Used Associated Nitro TC 3 route when i started in nitro last year. Although the car was good, to be honest it would have been money better spent on a good motor instead of that car. The irony is i spend less maintaining my Kyosho RRR Evo2 than i did on the TC3 :).

+3 Same thing when I ran the R40 and spent a ton of upgrades getting it lighter. Honestly though I placed B main with an OS .12TR and turbo pipe out of 35 drivers on a fairly large size track. All was well until the car lost control. The MTX4 I am definitely faster with.

blis 12-24-2009 04:57 PM

It's good to read...

I can finally enjoy the read when Mugen, Xray, TM, Shepherd, Kyosho drivers and other race bred drivers are drumming to the same beat. It's refreshing that we can put our personal brand preferences aside and be honest about the reality that most of the race bred chassis' are ALL GOOD.

Each have their pros and cons, they leave room for mods to satisfy the person's personal race craft and while personal preferences are left aside, performance on track under race conditions can be acknowledged as too the driver's skill during setup and steering.

Engine wise, I have learnt that the metallurgy is key, and throughout history, Japanese and Romans were the artisans and engineers of metal, so you get more intangible R&D than you can read in specs. Certainly on specifications some are faster than others, ultimately the engine needs reliability to extract a satisfying experience. Winning alone doesn't fulfill me as much as performing from start to finish and realising a "trusty little motor" often returns more enjoyment than a "hand grenade" and speed.

A very merry festive season to all, on road numbers can improve if the pleasure of ULTIMATE power to ground performance can be realisticly realised.

Viva RC.. 2010 is just around the corner... Trust you are all pulling down, lubing, shimming and cleaning like we are.

cheers

h

TM America 12-29-2009 03:53 PM

I would look at the Edam Spirit 981 before you purchase any touring car.

The Edam 1/10th Touring car is stout and will take a hit. It is a bit over the minimum weight spec set by ROAR and EFRA. As your driving skills increase for on-road racing it is easy to lighten the car to get to min specs.

The car is a great car in regards to being a competitive race car. There are more upgrades one will ever need. Some upgrades add strength. Some upgrades add speed. But running a completely stock kit is still a winning car.

The racer support program by TMA Marketing and Edam Racing keeps you in the loop all the time for new products and new ideas.

Now here is the best part. A major competition car priced at only $395.00. This car is $200.00 less than other cars in the market place. Also it makes no difference where you purchase the car. The retail price is set so everyone will sell the car at this great price.

Fast, stout, super handling, wide sweet spot, parts support, and racer support.......... all at the best price. See the car at www.teammarketingamerica.com/Edam_razor.html. The Edam Racing site is under construction right now - www.edam.com.tw

Good Luck and have fun!

fastharryDOTcom 12-30-2009 05:21 AM

any coments are great
THANKS

Now that you have all the advice from everyone that will turn you into the next barry baker, let me ask you a question that will help determine what kind of car you need or want...

Do you plan on racing this car at a track or are you looking for a runner that you can use for fun by yourself or with a few friends on the local streets and parking lots?

Kyo83 12-30-2009 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by fastharryDOTcom (Post 6782049)
Now that you have all the advice from everyone that will turn you into the next barry baker, let me ask you a question that will help determine what kind of car you need or want...

Do you plan on racing this car at a track or are you looking for a runner that you can use for fun by yourself or with a few friends on the local streets and parking lots?

Thank you Harry!!!!!

This is the one thing that always gets over looked on this kind of thread....and yet it should always be the first thing that is talked about.