Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Thumbs up

bump
nice car from a nice guy
Old 04-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #78
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM America View Post
Hello Guys, Haven't been on for a while due to be busy racing and business as well.

I recently ran the Edam Razor at the RCX Expo race in California. This is the second race I have run this car. I am continually finding better ideas to increase the handling of the car all the time. I have been receiving email from all over the world asking about what I am doing. I am pleased as always to answer any questions as I can. What I don't know I will find out for you and get back to you as quickly as possible.

As soon as I can get more Edam Racers here in the United States it will help greatly in obtaining new and better ideas for handling problems.

I will give you some ideas about the lack of front grip on the Razor and how to help cure the problem. This is the most common question.

First part of the solution with the Razor's lack of front grip is the very low RC (roll center) of the rear. Putting in a minimum of 2mm to 3mm of shims under the mounting position of the rear upper A arms and where it mounts to the rear hubs. This will help in raising the RC in the rear. Making sure you have a least 4degrees of caster in the rear will also help. Best way to determine if the caster is correct is by the cone shape of the rear tire wear.

The next step would be to work on your front end to obtain more steering. Here is where the "rule of thumb" sometimes does not always hold. However here is what I did to gain a lot of steering. The RC in the fron was also quite low and in turns the car rolled so much and so deeply it rides on the stops. When a car rolls that deeply you are not using the suspension system as all. The car will then push. I decided to make a major change to the car after talking to someone that has great knowledge in car design and has driven the Razor.

I fabricated the front bulkheads to accept an upper A arm hanger that is designed for the Mugen. Positioned the hanger so the Upper A arms inside pins are position 2mm outside the chassis, 2mm lower that stock. I cut the upper A arm by 2mm. I have a picture attached.

I now have a car that steers quickly and turns excellent in off power, middle off power and out on power. These changes if one would look at it could make the steering go the opposite way since the RC is higher. However it matches very well to the rear and has created a nicely balance car.

At the RCX main I had some problems in the beginning but got the car to third place and held that position until less than two minutes left the one way bearing in first gear went out. This ended my day but it was good to hear the announcer of the race compliment the car on how well it was handling. I am going to try placing the upper A arm pins 1mm lower than stock and see how that works for me as well. I feel right now I may have too much steering. But for racers overseas where your traction is not as high as ours here in the States, this may be an interesting start.

Stephan sent me a step by step "Building Tips" for a new person building his first 1/8th car or first Razor. I will place this on this thread soon.
Have you run the car with this new change yet, did it make any difference?

Is it worth doing?

Luke
Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #79
Tech Regular

I ran the car just a couple weeks ago at a race in California. The changes were in the right direction. To be perfectly honest I had to much steering. It is always kinda of hard to write on RC Tech about changes and set up because here in the states our tracks have different traction than our overseas friends. So what may work here may not work overseas and visa versa. However I have to say this will work anywhere.

I had to take some steering out of my car because at first the car was to loose. So I went a bit backward and took the shims out of the Upper A arms to again lower the RC so that would help take some of the over steer out. I also adjusted my radio during the course of the week as well.

The nice part was the car turned well in the middle of the corner and did not push out on power out of the corner like it did previously. I never had a problem with turn in.

The picture that I displayed is showing an upper A arm hanger made for a Mugen by a friend Brad at YBSlow. I will tell you I did ruin a couple of front bulkheads (lol) before I finally sanded them down to fit the hangers as I wanted to fit. It is not perfect but I hope Edam will redo the bulkheads we presently have and then have hangers with different pin placements to fit the needs of drivers all over the world. A low cost refinement with excellent benefits.

I will say this now, when the new car comes out with the different rear end we are back to zero again. All of us will have to start testing setups and setup ideas and past them along once again. But for now with this car the changes did help the car a lot. It is nice to pass other cars on the "inside" of a turn now as compared to what I was doing previously.
TM America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #80
Tech Apprentice

@Sam
Please check out your webside. At the Link to the tires, you lost the a at amerikA! The Link is not working.
Stephan
Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #81
Tech Regular

Hi Stephen,

I hope all is good. I have been down with allergies and sinus problems for 2 weeks. I couldn't talk for 3 days. My wife was so happy! lol

About the website, please make sure you refresh any page you my save as favorites. I actually have gone through the entire website and most pages have new names and locations. You will notice the easier navigation catalog list on the left top of each page now. We are simply trying to make it easier for dealers and consumers to flow through everything we have. Edam is becoming a very complete manufacturer with the addition of engines, tires, starter boxes, clothing, RTR's, kits, parts, hardware (titanium screws) and etc. So we are doing our best to make everything available to USA racers.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #82
Tech Apprentice

Hello Sam
Nice to see you back in better health.
Now the Link is working well. What i miss, is the presentation of your new hangars for upper front arms. Iīm very interested in....
Here in Germany bad news arrived. LMI has stopped working with Edam. Sure, all the parts were give away to another dealer, and he will support al Edam-Drivers too, but now in Germany we have no distributor, so we canīt get new produced parts from edam.
I dont know, what i shall do, ir i should change the car or stay and wait what will happen....
Stephan
Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #83
Tech Regular

Hello Stephen,

Yes I am sorry about the LMI situation. There was a misunderstanding between the two companies and I guess they didn't get it worked out.

The hangers are from an aftermarket company that I fabricated into our front bulkheads. I would like to see this style of front bulkheads that would use hangers for the upper A arms. This would give us many opportunites to get the handling and performance we need.

I don't feel a real need right now to go to much further with this because the car handles great with this system. I was going to have some hangers made with different pin locations for drivers to try out. But the new car has a completely new rear end and so we wil all have to start from zero in any case. The car you have now will be the parts car for the new kit. lol

I will email you with some ideas on getting the parts you need later.

Have fun!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #84
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leichtmetall View Post
Hello Sam
Nice to see you back in better health.
Now the Link is working well. What i miss, is the presentation of your new hangars for upper front arms. Iīm very interested in....
Here in Germany bad news arrived. LMI has stopped working with Edam. Sure, all the parts were give away to another dealer, and he will support al Edam-Drivers too, but now in Germany we have no distributor, so we canīt get new produced parts from edam.
I dont know, what i shall do, ir i should change the car or stay and wait what will happen....
Stephan
Hello Stephan,
there are news from Germany. We just came to a cooperation with EDAM here in Germany, so everything LMI did will be possible in the future too. We just placed our first order and have everything available that you need to race your EDAM car.
The difference to LMI is, that you will meet me at races because I am an active driver too. I started my "second driver career" at the end of last year, but was driving for many years round about 20years ago.
If you need my assistance, don't hesitate to contact me!
Eckart
rc-tyres.de
rc-tyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #85
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-tyres View Post
Hello Stephan,
there are news from Germany. We just came to a cooperation with EDAM here in Germany, so everything LMI did will be possible in the future too. We just placed our first order and have everything available that you need to race your EDAM car.
The difference to LMI is, that you will meet me at races because I am an active driver too. I started my "second driver career" at the end of last year, but was driving for many years round about 20years ago.
If you need my assistance, don't hesitate to contact me!
Eckart
rc-tyres.de
Welcome aboard rc-tyres and Eckart. I am glad you have joined our Edam family.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #86
Tech Apprentice

Hello Sam
Sorry, i have to say, that i changed my car to a Serpent 966. I would like to ran further with the edam, but the understeering in corners, i couldnīt solve that problem and i was to slow. Nowhere i could get a good answer about the newer car, the used rims and anything else. In USA the razor can be fast, but here in Germany.... someone can handle the car well and made some tricks to get a good setup, but i didnīt find the perfekt for me.
So i changed, and my 966 is ready and Razor is Spare-Car for fun. If i had your hangars and more steering, i think, i did not change...Itīs possible, that this is my last active Season, and therefore i will look up, how fast i can be, if the car is fast.
When i have a little more Time in Summer, i try to mount upper-arm-holder from the 966. I think, the RC-Inserts are same as by Edam, only the Axles have 3mm at Serpent.
Iīm not realy happy, because parts of Serpent are much more expensive than the Edam, and the wear-out of the edam was very low. 15 Liters of fuel and first pinions and belts, first clutch and one-way-bearing in gear-box.
But, i need much more gripp in front.....
When i can help edam-drivers, i will help them.
good Luck
Stephan
Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #87
Tech Rookie

help me out i need to make my igt2 the fastest on the road what set up is best
pepsi151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

EDAM Champion 2010 - South Australia Jessie Davies

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Enjoy
Frankie
Old 05-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #89
Tech Apprentice

Wow, a cool and fast racetrack, and good drivers. I think, an amazing video.
LM
Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #90
Tech Regular

Sorry for the time in between writing on this thread. Unfortunately there seems to be a small number of 1:8th Razor racers throughout the world. This is Edam's fault and problem. The car is good and all it needs is some attention and a good driver and it would be a top racer and seller.

I haven't heard as of lately the release date for the new Razor. I hope it will be soon. There are just a few things the present Razor needs that the new car has on it. The new car if given the correct amount of attention can be a great asset to Edam. I have come a long way with the present Razor and look forward to the new car.

I did go to a race and the prototype front end I had on the car broke the bulkheads. Since it takes a lot of time to sand and form them down properly I decided to just put on the stock parts. And yes when I first went out I did not have the steering I wanted and needed to go fast. So the trial and error time had begun. Unfortunately during the practice day I did not hit the correct setup using the stock Razor parts and geometry. So going into Saturday and three qualifiers with an ill handling car was not my intention for this weekend. But Oh Well!

With help from a friend, Brett Parker, who watched my car as it went around and told me what he saw and I could compare to what I felt the changes made Saturday proved to be successful. On the third heat I felt I had the car turning as I wanted and going around the long sweeper into the straight at full throttle the car was smooth and into the track. I was happy and the car was very happy. FYI I got hit half way through this qualifier which ended a nice run. However the car felt good and looked good on the track. Therefore I was still happy. The car was fast and handled nicely.

I was in the lower main but this was okay because it would give me a chance to learn this car more and fine tune it if necessary. I did have a good run going until a driver error. Oh Well! again. I need to get my rust off as well. The good part of this main was I learned that trhe Edam Razor was fast. I started 5th and was first in about three laps. Lap times were good until I made my mistake. So this week the car was better than the driver!!

What I was happy about is the track, although a permanent track had good traction. Not real high but good. I think this traction would be similar to what a lot of European and Asian tracks would be in this regard. This meant that the setup on the Razor would be good for all drivers no matter where you race. The Edam Razor proved to me that this car can be very competitive. It will challenge the best of drivers and bring them to successful racing.

Don Cezar from California ran the Edam Razor car at the Kamikaze race and qualified 9th in the A Main Expert class. I think this was his second time out with the car. Don is excited about the new car as well but has found early success with the present Edam Razor Pro Kit.

I see good things happening in the future with the Edam Razor. I just hope that Edam is willing to keep the Razor Banner flying high and come out with the new Razor Car and new performance parts so we can have a positive showing at the 1:8th World Championship next year.

I am looking for drivers that can go to the Worlds next year and would enjoy driving and showing the Edam Razor. If interested please message me or email at the address in my signature.

Good racing to all!

Tags
edam, edam razor