R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #61
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
Sam:

I alway thought Team Magic hadn't won any World titles... They had won two European titles with Dario, but i could be wrong???

Thanks
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Yes you are right it was two European Championships and not Worlds. Just had Worlds on my mind at the time. But just wanted to make the point. Although now forgot my point (hell to get old!) ...lol

Also read someone wanted to know what was "done" with the car at a recent race. Interesting that some don't realize that an equal or more knowledge can be gained by running a car under race conditions and not racing the car for results. We are growth oriented right now and I personally leave the top racing to the top racers. But knowledge is gained every where, by everyone, and every time the car is on the track. We are like a sponge right now and that is why all of our Edam drivers are vital to us. Our dealers are also vital to giving us the information they hear from their customers. We have a great network to help all Edam drivers so they can keep becoming more competitive. Our car is good but we just wish to become better.
TM America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM America View Post
Hi Andrew,

Yes you are right it was two European Championships and not Worlds. Just had Worlds on my mind at the time. But just wanted to make the point. Although now forgot my point (hell to get old!) ...lol

Also read someone wanted to know what was "done" with the car at a recent race. Interesting that some don't realize that an equal or more knowledge can be gained by running a car under race conditions and not racing the car for results. We are growth oriented right now and I personally leave the top racing to the top racers. But knowledge is gained every where, by everyone, and every time the car is on the track. We are like a sponge right now and that is why all of our Edam drivers are vital to us. Our dealers are also vital to giving us the information they hear from their customers. We have a great network to help all Edam drivers so they can keep becoming more competitive. Our car is good but we just wish to become better.
No worries Sam...

It looks like i am going to shelve my Edam Spirit for now as i can't get the 2 speed to work for me. I just haven't got the time at the moment... actually with all the rain we have had in the last fortnight i think i will buy a boat!

Take Care
Andrew
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #63
Tech Apprentice

Hello
Sorry for asking, but which Problem does your gearbox make? not shifting high?
At Razor the gearbox is working well, and my friends spirit was shifting perfectly. If it will not work, i think it is a problem of assembling.
If translation/making better to read of my manual-editions, i think it will help you, if gearbox is working in same way as at Razor. This Question can be answered by Sam
LM
Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leichtmetall View Post
Hello
Sorry for asking, but which Problem does your gearbox make? not shifting high?
At Razor the gearbox is working well, and my friends spirit was shifting perfectly. If it will not work, i think it is a problem of assembling.
If translation/making better to read of my manual-editions, i think it will help you, if gearbox is working in same way as at Razor. This Question can be answered by Sam
LM
It just doesn't change! I think Edam realize they have a problem as there is already a revised two speed and a complete new unit from what i understand is on it's way!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #65
Tech Regular

hum.... that is very strange. I never had any problem with the 2 speed for the Spirit or the Razor..... Maybe one thing you can try is went I build them, sorry forget if it is the Razor or Spirit. I notice the "edge" of the hole of the two speed shoes where the adjustment screw go into is very sharp. I just round off the edge slightly. I am not sure if it will make any different as it had been done from day 1.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the information and feed back. I have not been an Edam Distributor very long but I can say to date other than this report I have not had any reports of troubles with the 2 speed. Now on the other side of my mouth I heard the original springs for the adjustment screws were to soft and we have a new hard spring set for the 2 speed. There hasn't been any overhaul of the 2 speed as mentioned.

I have, as gpm-parts, found the edges of the shoes on my Razor and replacement shoes to be sharp and a bit intruding. I also filed them down to keep them smooth. I check the inside of the gear housing to make sure there are only normal marks from the shoes engaging. I also found at times where the ends were not perfectly flat. So when the shoes are screwed down and the shoes should be touching and flat, becasue the ends were not flat the shoes would be out of round. I fixed this also with a file to make sure the ends were flat and when the shoes are press together everything was even and the shoes were in perfect round. Would any of this cause a problem? Not sure but I just check every piece before I place it on the car to make sure. My driving will cause enough problems for the car and myself so I don't need to add any others!

The hard spring kit stock number is SG00054.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
My driving will cause enough problems for the car and myself so I don't need to add any others!
haha, thats Funny Sam.
i see you are still providing great support for a product you believe in.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Hi Patto, My wife Wendy was just asking about you the other day. She wanted to know if I had heard from you and if you are doing good. I see your post so I just hope all is going good for you! Wendy said she missed those early morning instant messages she would answer for me! Hmmmmm .. I just figured out you were hitting on my wife and I going along with it??!! haha

Have fun!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Patto, My wife Wendy was just asking about you the other day. She wanted to know if I had heard from you and if you are doing good. I see your post so I just hope all is going good for you! Wendy said she missed those early morning instant messages she would answer for me! Hmmmmm .. I just figured out you were hitting on my wife and I going along with it??!! haha

Have fun!
you got me, i dont know how to reply to this.
ill keep browsing from time to time, see how things are going. take care Sam, talk soon.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #70
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this thread but i was reading on the problem about the 2 speed on the Spirit.I am the distributor for Edam in Malta and i have been running the spirit from the first time it was available(almost a year now).I have never had a problem with the 2 speed and have been running the old 2 speed clutch for a long time now and i changed it for the last championship race we had with the new one.Before i changed it with the new one i had erretic changes in the gear shift but the clutch was too old and needed to be changed.Maybe that was the problem.I use a Picco IDM .12 engine and gear shift is very smooth.Thanks.
Regards
Henry
speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #71
Tech Rookie

We have had this problem with Spirit's with the later green second gear hub rather than the earlier hubs which were not coated.
The anodised coating will not allow the second gear shoe to grip fully so it drops out of second.
We have removed the inner anodised coating with a dremel and problem has disappeared. Razor doesnt have this coating on the hub hence why there are less problems.

Edam UK Rc-Direct
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)
Default Brand new Razor 150.00 shipped Still needs Completed

Brand new Razor 150.00 shipped Still needs Completed.. 95% assembled. Will post pics soon
steve wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)
Default pics

pics
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor-edam-car-001.jpg   1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor-edam-car-002.jpg  
steve wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #74
Tech Regular

Hello Guys, Haven't been on for a while due to be busy racing and business as well.

I recently ran the Edam Razor at the RCX Expo race in California. This is the second race I have run this car. I am continually finding better ideas to increase the handling of the car all the time. I have been receiving email from all over the world asking about what I am doing. I am pleased as always to answer any questions as I can. What I don't know I will find out for you and get back to you as quickly as possible.

As soon as I can get more Edam Racers here in the United States it will help greatly in obtaining new and better ideas for handling problems.

I will give you some ideas about the lack of front grip on the Razor and how to help cure the problem. This is the most common question.

First part of the solution with the Razor's lack of front grip is the very low RC (roll center) of the rear. Putting in a minimum of 2mm to 3mm of shims under the mounting position of the rear upper A arms and where it mounts to the rear hubs. This will help in raising the RC in the rear. Making sure you have a least 4degrees of caster in the rear will also help. Best way to determine if the caster is correct is by the cone shape of the rear tire wear.

The next step would be to work on your front end to obtain more steering. Here is where the "rule of thumb" sometimes does not always hold. However here is what I did to gain a lot of steering. The RC in the fron was also quite low and in turns the car rolled so much and so deeply it rides on the stops. When a car rolls that deeply you are not using the suspension system as all. The car will then push. I decided to make a major change to the car after talking to someone that has great knowledge in car design and has driven the Razor.

I fabricated the front bulkheads to accept an upper A arm hanger that is designed for the Mugen. Positioned the hanger so the Upper A arms inside pins are position 2mm outside the chassis, 2mm lower that stock. I cut the upper A arm by 2mm. I have a picture attached.

I now have a car that steers quickly and turns excellent in off power, middle off power and out on power. These changes if one would look at it could make the steering go the opposite way since the RC is higher. However it matches very well to the rear and has created a nicely balance car.

At the RCX main I had some problems in the beginning but got the car to third place and held that position until less than two minutes left the one way bearing in first gear went out. This ended my day but it was good to hear the announcer of the race compliment the car on how well it was handling. I am going to try placing the upper A arm pins 1mm lower than stock and see how that works for me as well. I feel right now I may have too much steering. But for racers overseas where your traction is not as high as ours here in the States, this may be an interesting start.

Stephan sent me a step by step "Building Tips" for a new person building his first 1/8th car or first Razor. I will place this on this thread soon.
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor-026.jpg  
Old 03-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #75
Tech Regular

Just an added note, I will have a couple of new after market parts for the Edam Razor on my website, http://www.teammarketingamerica.com. I have a Titanium 2 Speed Shaft that cuts the rotating mass weight in half from the stock 2 Speed Lay Shaft. Our Titanium 2 Speed Lay Shaft weighs 12 grams and stock is 24 grams.

I will have a middle shaft in a short time also. Again this should change the weight by 1/2.

Cutting static weight is always good, however cutting rotating mass weight is like adding horsepower!

Tags
edam, edam razor