R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
Sam:

Thanks for your reply... Look forward to hearing more about the steering bind and what the factory has to say about it.

How do you compare the Spirit to your G4S all those years ago?

Thanks
BB
Ahhh what a question. Honestly speaking, because most will say the best car is the car that they are presently selling or being sponsored by at the time, so with that rhetoric being said I would say the Spirit at this time in its life is ahead of the G4S. The geometry is good but can use some updating. But it is really good and the car has a great foundation to work from. Most cars you throw away and start again.

I have talked to Rene Cornella and he has some great ideas for this car that you will see come into reality in a short time. Rene is a car designer and knows what he is doing. So change will not be a hit or miss. It will be dead on. Edam is working very hard right now on the Spirit. This car will surprise a lot of people and will put Edam on the map.

With all that being said, the Edam Razor is in the same position. A great car that drives really very nice. But needs some changes to make it become a really top contender. Like the Spirit, the foundation of the car is very good to work from. So as we work the car is still very competitive and will just get better in future months ahead. And be ready, I know some of the future for Razor and can also assure racers that this car soon will rock the RC world.

Now I can get the best driver in the world like Mike Swauger to drive the car today and everyone will proclaim this car to be the best because Mike could drive a Mattel car with a motor and win. So I am speaking in reality to the 98% of the people who race today. The Razor is an excellent choice for 1/8th and the Spirit is an excellent choice for the 1/10th. Edam racing as a company has a true desire to make their cars one of the best in the RC Market place and at very affordable prices.

This makes Edam Racing cars good for Dealers because they have an excellent car for the newbie and their experienced racers that wish to purchase another car but have a budget. We present these cars to dealers in this manner because it is true and the Edam Company is always making their products better. What more can a dealer want? And same for the retail customer(racer).

Long answer I am sorry, but very much into this company and we hope to be with them for a very long time.
TM America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM America View Post
Ahhh what a question. Honestly speaking, because most will say the best car is the car that they are presently selling or being sponsored by at the time, so with that rhetoric being said I would say the Spirit at this time in its life is ahead of the G4S. The geometry is good but can use some updating. But it is really good and the car has a great foundation to work from. Most cars you throw away and start again.

I have talked to Rene Cornella and he has some great ideas for this car that you will see come into reality in a short time. Rene is a car designer and knows what he is doing. So change will not be a hit or miss. It will be dead on. Edam is working very hard right now on the Spirit. This car will surprise a lot of people and will put Edam on the map.

With all that being said, the Edam Razor is in the same position. A great car that drives really very nice. But needs some changes to make it become a really top contender. Like the Spirit, the foundation of the car is very good to work from. So as we work the car is still very competitive and will just get better in future months ahead. And be ready, I know some of the future for Razor and can also assure racers that this car soon will rock the RC world.

Now I can get the best driver in the world like Mike Swauger to drive the car today and everyone will proclaim this car to be the best because Mike could drive a Mattel car with a motor and win. So I am speaking in reality to the 98% of the people who race today. The Razor is an excellent choice for 1/8th and the Spirit is an excellent choice for the 1/10th. Edam racing as a company has a true desire to make their cars one of the best in the RC Market place and at very affordable prices.

This makes Edam Racing cars good for Dealers because they have an excellent car for the newbie and their experienced racers that wish to purchase another car but have a budget. We present these cars to dealers in this manner because it is true and the Edam Company is always making their products better. What more can a dealer want? And same for the retail customer(racer).

Long answer I am sorry, but very much into this company and we hope to be with them for a very long time.
Sam:

Thanks for your reply and feedback!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #48
Tech Regular

I have been getting some request through emails to see pictures of my car. I will take them today and post them here . But it looks like all the rest of the guys cars that have already posted.

I thought I would take pictures before going to Florida. The car may look better now than after the racing!!! lol
Old 02-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay since last posting. I have the pictures for all to post and I will do so within the next few days. Also Stephan has given me a really great Razor Build Guide Tips to post on this thread. I am making the English flow a little bit better before I post it. However, Stephan has put a lot of thought and work into this guide. The loyality to the Edam Razor and our other cars is what makes distributing and racing Edam Cars so much fun.

I will mention that I attended the Florida Winter Nationals. Edam Racing and TMA Marketing were one of the Sponsors for this event. It is our goal to sponsor many more events through the year to insure we can help people and clubs that are willing to give their time and efforts to keep this hobby going in the USA.

Edam Race cars like the Spirit and the Razor fulfill a very large need in our hobby. How? For new and present racers to purchase a competitive car at a very low reasonable price. Our Spirit 1/10th Sedan has a retail price of only $375.00. This sure helps the younger racer and the young racer with a family to still race in this hobby without the normal high cost of Pro Kits. Also allowing racers that have a 1/8th or a 1/10th cars now and would like to get into a different scale without the high cost normally associated with doing so.

Our cars have a solid base design that will allow new racers to be able to build and race these cars easily. The experience racer will find that our cars are very competitive. Yes World Class Drivers, which are 2% of the racers, will have to make some changes to be a winner at that level. However it can be done. My point for racers and dealers is the car is great for the other 98% of racers. And dealers that truly have an interest in helping Nitro On-Road Racing grow in their own state and in the USA as a whole, should offer these cars to their customers. Look at your club and get the average age of your club members and racers. We did this at the Florida Winter Nationals in 1/8th expert class. We have a problem with so very few new and young people entering our sport. (off-road doesn't, there are reasons for that also.) We need racers and dealers promoting cars like Edam Racing has available to help our hobby grow so we don't continue to loose tracks in the USA.

Sorry on my band wagon but it had to be said.

I will mention how the Razor did at the Nats. Of course I had rust but kept getting faster as I hit the track. Then as I got better setups on the Razor times kept getting better. I had a few problems I will mention with one being the clutch. I think I have a fix for that also and will pass that along. I hope to write about these things tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Can you be a little more specific in what was done @ the Florida Winternats just wondering cause I was there also
2015 Roar Fuel On Road Nationals,U.S.World Nitro Cup Completed
2016 U.S. World Nitro Cup Dec 7th - Dec 11th
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Can you be a little more specific in what was done @ the Florida Winternats just wondering cause I was there also
I would also like to know how this car faired against the favored brands of cars.
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabrc View Post
I would also like to know how this car faired against the favored brands of cars.
--> This sure helps the younger racer and the young racer with a family to still race in this hobby without the normal high cost of Pro Kits. Also allowing racers that have a 1/8th or a 1/10th cars now and would like to get into a different scale without the high cost normally associated with doing so.

I think the above seems to be a fair statement. One other statement that comes with it is that you can not compare this brand against the Pro Kits on top level.
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #53
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSorber View Post
I think the above seems to be a fair statement. One other statement that comes with it is that you can not compare this brand against the Pro Kits on top level.
Sorry, if i misunderstand this. Do you think, the more expensive Pro-Kits are much better?
Look on Championship in Luxemburg. Ruud Schuitmaker was Master there with the Edam Spirit. http://edamracing.blogspot.com/2009/...lusenburg.html
Have a look on the Blog of Edam.
It is one thing to have a competetive Car, but it is another thing to have a driver, who can show it. OK, an Xray i build out of Kit with Setup from manual and i have a quick Car. That is the disadvantage from Spirit, you have to find out a good Setup yourself. But therefore are the distributors, they will help you in any way with support.
And the Razor is not much slower too. If you will work a little on it, it can be a fast car to. The young germand Driver Björn Möhring reached the Final in german chapionship Class 2. He was faster than many other Drivers with "pro-kits-on-a-high-Level" And in German Hobby-Cup, where all Drivers have to use an Novarossi N21 5T Engine, Timo Schröder was 4th overall and i was 8th overall.
Beginning will be hard for everyone, but Basics are OK.
Stephan

Last edited by Leichtmetall; 02-26-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Leichtmetall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #54
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leichtmetall View Post

german chapionship Class 2.

German Hobby-Cup,

but Basics are OK.
Stephan
1) The name is Ruud Schuitemaker, not Schouten...
2) Top level is EC-A, WC, etc... Not a Hobby Cup or Class 2.

Dont misunderstand me, EDAM does a good job by providing low cost kits to parking or hobby drivers. Its good for the market.
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #55
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
1) The name is Ruud Schuitemaker, not Schouten...
2) Top level is EC-A, WC, etc... Not a Hobby Cup or Class 2.

Dont misunderstand me, EDAM does a good job by providing low cost kits to parking or hobby drivers. Its good for the market.
1: thanks for showing my bug, i edit it. sorry about
2: OK, that is a follow for being a german with bad english. Sorry about it.
Position of Edam Spirit we will see at WC this year, whenn good drivers with edam are runing against serpent, xray mugen kyosho and shepherd on top level. Ruud made a good beginning, this will give hope for more
How fast the Razor realy can be, i hope we will see this year. It needs a good driver to show realy difference. I think, Razor only needs a bit more gripp in front to be so fast as a serpent or any else car....and this problem should be solved next time.
greetings from germany
Stephan
Old 02-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Quote:
--> This sure helps the younger racer and the young racer with a family to still race in this hobby without the normal high cost of Pro Kits. Also allowing racers that have a 1/8th or a 1/10th cars now and would like to get into a different scale without the high cost normally associated with doing so.

Point taken just was a little confused on his post thanks for the clarification
2015 Roar Fuel On Road Nationals,U.S.World Nitro Cup Completed
2016 U.S. World Nitro Cup Dec 7th - Dec 11th
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Thanks Stephan for the excellent replies. Not sure where the confusion can be made but I guess you got it covered.

Every car has to start from some point and then grow from there. I was with TM and the G4 and all said the same about that car until it won the worlds twice. Same car but just good driver. Note: Some that have written asked for sponsorship from Edam. When we get to that point where we can have a top World Class driver our growth in knowledge and speed will skyward. But as mentioned our base is very sound and as we grow our knowledge will grow as well. I hope soon I will be able to place a top driver here in the USA. If all plans continue in the direction as they are now with Edam Racing this may happen sooner than I even expected.

Now to continue with help to new hobbyist that have purchaed the Edam Razor (we will have the same for Spirit soon), Stephan Leithmetall has taken the time to write up some tips for setting up the Razor. Stephan also has some step by step building tips of this car also. However what I have below is Stephan's tips for setting up the razor. I just tried to help with the English to make it flow a bit better. Hope all enjoy the tips:

It will be in the next post so this one isn't so long.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leichtmetall View Post
Sorry, if i misunderstand this. Do you think, the more expensive Pro-Kits are much better?
Look on Championship in Luxemburg. Ruud Schuitmaker was Master there with the Edam Spirit. http://edamracing.blogspot.com/2009/...lusenburg.html
Have a look on the Blog of Edam.
It is one thing to have a competetive Car, but it is another thing to have a driver, who can show it. OK, an Xray i build out of Kit with Setup from manual and i have a quick Car. That is the disadvantage from Spirit, you have to find out a good Setup yourself. But therefore are the distributors, they will help you in any way with support.
And the Razor is not much slower too. If you will work a little on it, it can be a fast car to. The young germand Driver Björn Möhring reached the Final in german chapionship Class 2. He was faster than many other Drivers with "pro-kits-on-a-high-Level" And in German Hobby-Cup, where all Drivers have to use an Novarossi N21 5T Engine, Timo Schröder was 4th overall and i was 8th overall.
Beginning will be hard for everyone, but Basics are OK.
Stephan
Still Ruud isn't as fast with his Edam as when he was with his Serpent 720.
But from what he told me, Edam is really working hard to improve the car and get it closer to the top end kits.
Also with Rene Cornella on the team, I think stuff will improve rapidly.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #59
Tech Regular

Hello Racers
Here I is a guide which will help you to setup the Edam Razor in a fast and
easy way. This guide will be of great assistance and importantance to insure that both the left and right side are setup identically. This is a very important and a good base to be followed. I will explain in steps to make this guide easy to understand and follow. Also, I will sho and explain how to build an easy setup-plate with a cost of $10 to $15.00.

To build this set up board all you need for it is a Square piece of wood or anything else similar that it is flat. The Size is 50x30cm (20"x12").
Additonally you need two pins 2mm in length, 2mm drill bit, a ruler and a
goniometer. And of course, a waterproof Pen. Look first in my handmade picture, it will explain a lot.

First make two holes in downside the Chasis. One in front and one in rear,
try to be perfect in the middle. Same distance as these small holes, make two holes in the plate and glue the two pins in it. Now you can adjust
your chasis on the selfmade setup plate. For a good setup, you also need a
set of clean rims.

Now make lines with a dark marker or fineliner, whatever you want . In the front, the line has to have 0 Degree toe. The reason is you do not want a changing wheelbase. Toe in or out line will not give true and constant measurement. The zeroline measurement will allways work because it is independent from the wheelbase.

The rear, make a zeronline also and a line with 2 Degrees Toe-in on each side. Make sure, that zeroline and 2-degree-line are crossing exactly in same
Line as the Wheelaxles are. Have a look on my schematic illustration.
Now you have a plate where you can adjust the car on Pins and you also can setup track width and toe identical from right to left. The easiest way I will describe in the following:

Assemble the car without shock absorbers in place. Put the clean rims without foam-tires on car. Adjust car on the two pins. Look for front and rear end. it must touch the plate, therefore reason for no shocks mounted.
Lean a rule on outside of the rims and turn in or out the pivot balls from
front steering blocks until the rule is exactly on line on setupboard.
With the goniometer, you now can adjust the camber to 0 Degrees. Check again with rule on zero line. Do this exactly the same on both sides, left and right, and you will have both sides trackwide and camber identical.

Now put your radio on and bring your steering servo to neutral. Now you can adjust steering rods to set the toe to zero. Lean the rule on rim and check both sides until you have zero Toe and zero Camber with a track width of 254mm. This is 127mm on each side. Screw out one screw from sway-bar-mount, so sway bar may not disturb. Now turn in or out the upstops, so, that steeringblock is touching the setup plate. If you turn in the screw a little more, the steering block should leave the setup plate. Screw it back, until Steeringblock is touching setup plate. Do the same on left and right sides. Mount again the sway-bar-mount, open the srew on left lower arm, where the eccentric adjustment is located. Adjust sway bar in this way so that lifting one side then other side is lifting also. Reaction speed should be the same for both. When this is done, turn in the screw into left lower arm.

Lets adjust rear-end.
Chasis is on plate, rear are clean rims on. Adjust trackwide in same way
with rule as at front, but till 264mm, 132mm on each side away from middle
line. Turn in or out both lower pivotballs and adjust upper arm. You should
adjust 0 camber and toe in of 2° on each side. I dont use upstops on rear.

Now, when chasis is on plate, all rims are ouching plate from inside to
outside, at this moment you have 0 Degree Camber. But, you normaly dont drive with zero camber.

Front: Turn in upper pivot-ball ,screw out the lower pivot ball. Turn both
identical turns until you have 1,5 or 2 Degrees negative Camber. Use a
goniometer leaned outside on rim. Do this left and right. (Display of
goniometer is showing 92°)

At rear you have 2 Degrees toe in. use goniometer in same way as on front
to adjust camber, but on rear you only short the upper arm, until
goniometer is showing 4 Degrees. (Display of goniometer is showing 94°)
Adjust the length of sway-bar-rods so, that reaction during lifting one
side from the other side is identical for both.
Now car is identical on left and right side. This is the most important
base for your own setup which is dependent on your driving style.
Whenever you make a change on toe in or camber, caster or track-wide, make the same on each side. Otherwise you will get a car, which reactions are different turning left and right. Now you can mount the shock absorbers. Adjust the height of chasis in front to 6mm, rear to 8mm.

Check out the tweak of chasis in following way:
Mount new tires on car.Touch car down to ground , keep hands away and than lift up left front tyre. Look, which tyre will left next when you lift front left. Do again touch down, lift right front tyre and look which tyre is lifting
next. Reactions should be inversely the same. Then you have no tweak on chasis. Do this on each tyre.

If during lift the front left tyre the rear left lifting, and during lifting
right front tyre, the left front, you have to adjust springs!
When you are ready with this all (with a little practise, it needs only a
few minutes), you can go on racetrack to check out the car.
Front tyres should be plane after driving, perhaps a little conical to
inside. Rear tyres always should be conical to inside. For springs, you also can use the serpent-springs in colour yellow, red, blue and purple.
If car is not runing as you want or expect because oversteering or
understeering, you should test another setup. Change always only one thing! Do same on both sides (except sway bar, you can, but you must not) and
check out the changes during test drive. Take notice, what you changed and what happend. ( for example: front sway bar from smooth to hard> more gripp at turn in, less gripp in corner) check out, which changes will bring which effect and make notice.

If you do this you will quickly learn how to setup your car in a way that you are happy with. It needs time, but the performance will be better and better. I always try to get "harmony". It is bad, when car is sometimes
oversteering and some times understeering. If car is allways oversteering, use tyres with less hardness in rear or harder front tyres.
If car is allways understeer, use less hardness on front tyres or harder
rear tyres. When I search for "my perfect setup", I try to be happy in low and middle-speed corners. Over and understeer in fast corners, I adjust with the "rear gurney flap" (tear-off edge)
If you found your "perfect" setup, you can change your "ground-setup" for
the future. Make new lines for track-width, camber and toe-in toe-out, so as your drive now and in the future you will be happy.

Sure I know that this setup guide is not perfect, and there are many
things some others can add. However, nobody is perfect, and my request is not to tell a race-driver how to setup his car. No, my request is, to help a beginner with such a car in setup and learn how to setup a car. I will help you to come on feet, but walking and runing, you have to learn yourself

Greetings from Bavaria
Stephan

Thank you Stephan for your time and excellent information. This is what our thread is for. Edam racers and future Edam racers!
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor-setup_plate-stephan.jpg  
Old 03-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM America View Post
Thanks Stephan for the excellent replies. Not sure where the confusion can be made but I guess you got it covered.

Every car has to start from some point and then grow from there. I was with TM and the G4 and all said the same about that car until it won the worlds twice. Same car but just good driver. Note: Some that have written asked for sponsorship from Edam. When we get to that point where we can have a top World Class driver our growth in knowledge and speed will skyward. But as mentioned our base is very sound and as we grow our knowledge will grow as well. I hope soon I will be able to place a top driver here in the USA. If all plans continue in the direction as they are now with Edam Racing this may happen sooner than I even expected.

Now to continue with help to new hobbyist that have purchaed the Edam Razor (we will have the same for Spirit soon), Stephan Leithmetall has taken the time to write up some tips for setting up the Razor. Stephan also has some step by step building tips of this car also. However what I have below is Stephan's tips for setting up the razor. I just tried to help with the English to make it flow a bit better. Hope all enjoy the tips:

It will be in the next post so this one isn't so long.
Sam:

I alway thought Team Magic hadn't won any World titles... They had won two European titles with Dario, but i could be wrong???

Thanks
Andrew

Tags
edam, edam razor