Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #212
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Well...

End of the year here. I did manage to break a few parts at the snowball rally but nothing I could blame on the car, when your eyes water up suddenly (note to self, get goggles) and you run full tilt boogie into immovable objects, things break. I was able to get fixed and back on the track no sweat.

The better part of this year was to run on a budget and see if the car could handle the load. I'm satisfied I did both and I'll be running the Edam next year as well. I never had a handling issue all year long with the thing, I sure can't complain about the cost of the cars and parts, and after learning how to do a full set, I haven't changed a thing since. Still running the same shocks, springs, ride height, droop, etc...just stuck fresh tires on and went. I have a much better engine lined up for next year and got some expert advice from Rick Davis as to clutch setup so I have high expectations. I gave one of my cars to a friend of mine who was completely new to racing, never driven before in his life, and he's now running about two seconds behind me (tho in fairness he did spend a bigger buck on an engine than I did.)
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

That is great news there Great Job on min breakage and a running on a budget i will try and call you later today

Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #214
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default 1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor

where can i buy this car. I live in long island , NY. what Hobby shop has this car in USA. is it Larry's Performance R/C's has the Power Racing XR80 Version 2. can buy it at teammarketingamerica.com. Edam Razor car looks beter. looks like more of a pro car. i had a Power Racing Parts XR8 pro it was great. the car handling was great
speedrace1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #215
Tech Master

pm hitcharide1 he is a import dealer of this kit if he does not have one he can get 1 I also at this moment have a spare kit on hand .

Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Good to see some more fresh faces running Edam, would love to see some more people running and chatting on here about the Spirit Tourer.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #217
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
Good to see some more fresh faces running Edam, would love to see some more people running and chatting on here about the Spirit Tourer.
Edam is a viable option. It's not any more durable than the others...all of 'em seem to self destruct on certain impacts, and I don't know of any car with a sufficiently durable front hub assembly (tho I'm working on getting some quality aluminum pieces made up for that issue. That said, Edam is a LOT cheaper. I'm selling cars and parts at not much above cost, partly because I love playing with the toys more than I love money, but partly because I think it's a crime what some stuff sells for. And at my level of driving, it wouldn't make much sense anyhow. I suspect that Capricorn is the best quality product made; it also carries an extremely high price for the car and parts. I wouldn't mind paying more for a car up front if I knew it was going to save me money over the long haul (like Delta was back in the day, it was the most expensive car on the market, but it was unbreakable...which is why I still run my SuperJ.) But at a race last year, I saw a guy with a Serpent whack a board and completely detach the entire left rear hub and arms. I've seen nearly every other car do the same exact thing at some point, and a LOT of the parts on the cars are interchangable (Edam and Shepard, for example, have a ton of interchangable parts...which leads me to wonder if everything isn't made in the same factory.) But the price difference between cars and parts is just ridiculous. For me, Edam is an economic move. If I hit nothing, nothing breaks, so I save money on the kit. If something breaks, I've saved money on the replacement parts. Too many of us have mortgages, kids in college, etc., to the point where we can't afford to piss away money on toys...and at the same time, we deserve a little fun without having to "rob Peter to pay Paul."

When I first showed up at a club race this year with my Razor2, a few people (being charitable) claimed my car was a crappy cheap knockoff of others and wouldn't perform. As the year went on and I started putting together some decent runs, I heard less and less of that. I managed to win my main at the GLC, which I thought wasn't half bad for a guy just back in the hobby after being gone for 27 years, running a 125 dollar SH engine. Everyone should get the car that fits them best, and whatever product someone has, if they are happy with it, they should stay with it, but we need every financial option we can get in this day and age, and I have no complaints with the way I'm going.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #218
Tech Master

I agree some of us are addicts<G> and the car is worth a second look for sure handles well rolls easy works as well as anything else out there ok so i am not out on the bleeding edge and as much bling as some others but for what i have in this car is less than what i got invested in engine and clutch in my 10th that i cant run to its full potential

Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #219
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks guys, not disagreeing think they are great value and we have great support here in Australia from JPM Racing. Wish more people ran them especially the tourer to bounce ideas and thoughts of others!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #220
Tech Master

agreed info sharing is always a good thing for the continue success

Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #221
Tech Addict

Default For anyone that wants a Razor2...setup info

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeroth View Post
agreed info sharing is always a good thing for the continue success
I've gleaned a few details this year, timesavers and tips...

1. I've used the 2011 Mugen setup as per camber/tow, etc, and it's worked really well for me. For the most part, I haven't even had a problem with tires coning.

2. Some parts, most noticeably the servo saver, are a little stiff and don't move as freely/smoothly as they should. A little emory cloth or fine sandpaper to clean these parts helps.

3. The bearings for the bell housing included in a kit are crap, absolute crap. I upgraded to ceramic bearings late in the year and found I was no longer eating clutch pads. The Edam clutch is a four pin setup, pretty much the same as the Shepperd. The black pads hold up really well (I think about five bucks a pad or so) but Mugen/Shepperd/Kyosho all make a similar pad that also fits. If you have a clutch setup from another car you'd like to use, make sure of tooth alignment as I've found the Serpent clutch isn't quite right, I had to elongate the engine mounting holes just a little in order to make it fit.

4. The set screws in the back of the lower rear a-arm for the bottom of the shock mount tend to work loose and wear out the hole after awhile. I've gotten around this by using a drill bit to make the hole slightly larger in the bottom of the shock, then I used a small sheet metal screw with phillips head and coarse thread to put it back together and haven't had a problem since.

5. From the middle of the year on, I ran 45 front/40 rear. I had no traction issues, no handling issues...any problems I had were entirely due to my driving, the car had excellent traction. I also didn't have to true tires at any time, and the one time I had a left tire eat slightly smaller than the right, I merely rotated the tires from side to side and continued to run them to the end.

6. The car I ran this year was almost completely stock, out of the box, with no hop-ups. That said, I've noticed enough of the various cars are so similar that a lot of parts are interchangable with other cars (for example, Serpent pinion gears fit the Edam bell perfectly.)

7. Parts most likely to break....front upper a-arms, bulkheads and ball pins. When I don't hit anything, I don't break anything (what a surprise.) But when I hit something full tilt boogie head on or close to it, like I did at the Snowball Rally, I broke some parts. I suspect as hard as I hit, it would not have mattered what car I was driving, similar parts would still break. However, Edam parts are very cheap compared to everyone else.

Azeroth needed parts for his car (before he bought an Edam) and he thought the Edam parts would work....and they did (again, I sometimes wonder if everything isn't made in the same factory. I understand parts being similar...even close...but exact??)

The Razor2 is not what I would consider a "fine tune" car. It does have plenty of adjustment in lots of places, but not nearly as much as a Mugen. Now, someone like Ralph Burch might actually get the use out of all those points of adjustment. But it's a little like a full size car and personal preference, some guys don't want or need power seats, automatic headlights, and so forth....so why pay for things you'll never need (or even recognize?) Then again, I work on cars (and boats and motorcycles and pretty much anything with an engine) for a living, and when I go to the track, I get a little lazy....I want to DRIVE, not spend all my time wrenching in the pits for a dubious slight advantage which may only result in the final impact being that much harder, and thus creating more work. I may not be the driver to demonstrate it properly (I was lots better 28 years ago) but I know that XRay and Capricorn are probably the two fastest things on the track. They are extremely well engineered cars that reward a top notch driver. Me, I'm a middle of the pack guy, and I figure I've got a middle of the pack car. The main point tho, in my humble opinion, in this hobby of ours, is to have FUN. For the most part, this is a car you set up and then, for the most part, leave alone. I've had excellent support from Edam, typically quick shipping (except at Christmas time, when the Pony Express would be quicker) and they stand behind their product (I could tell a horror story about my buddy, his Kyosho GT2, and Kyosho not wanting to stand behind their product) but that'd make this run longer than it already has.....
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #222
Tech Rookie

Hi there everyone,

I have some EDAM Razor stuff for sale. A pretty much ready to race car and a new kit with a bunch of spares and hop-ups. If you're interested please let me know via pm perhaps we can figure something out....
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor-imag0256.jpg   1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor-imag0257.jpg   1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor-imag0260.jpg   1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor-imag0262.jpg   1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor-imag0264.jpg  

Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #223
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default 1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor

if you still have this car.I like to buy it email me at speedrace1701@gmail.com
speedrace1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #224
Tech Apprentice

Was there any Razor-Dirver at Winternats in Florida?
LM
Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #225
Tech Master

i didn't get too had way to much going on to close the shop maybe next year

Tags
edam, edam razor