R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #61
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Default Topic is Nitro Sedan Racing. racing demise

Originally Posted by fastharryDOTcom View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of interested in the first comment myself.......And what is an RCTECH DB index? (because I KNOW you ain't talkin' on HarD.....)
When I went to see if there was a new RTR Nitro 1:10 from Kyosho (as Im always interested when advising newcomers on best performance, budget and longevity) I found myself looking at tub chassis EP shaft drive with plastic shocks and a perfex AM controller.

I really thought the post was a spoof, so I apologise if the sarcasm in return was the impression of EP cars versus GP cars.. hence very much a reason for the demise of Nitro sedans and I didnt want to spend the time explaining myself like I am now for a spoof or wrong post.

The Kyosho RTR posted and the "end front straight issue"... The Perfex controllers use an outdated 27Mhz technology and having bought an Inferno buggy myself with the same controller. The very first time I used the Perfex to run in the engine, my buggy "full throttled" across the road and into a gutter.. hence new front end parts. I swapped out my radio immediately and used it on our first muck around car and gave it to my neighbours children.

On a sincere note, if you really want to enjoy electric racing (as we do too - see http://www.beachmumsracing.org.au/20...grades-for-e4/ ) head out to your nearest EP track and see if the guys there are offloading old RACE chassis with lots of spares. Or look in the FOR SALE section on RCtech. Then put whatever motor / ESC you can afford and buy (again used) a good Spread Spectrum radio (they are cheaper and cheaper ). Sure you wont get your hands on good servos that can handle the loads placed on then when traction is high, and stripping gears will be almost inevitable.

Im not a gear junky, nor pushing one brand more than another, my opinion is based on experience where a RTR like the one you've chosen will end up costing you twice as much as a race bred chassis and radio combo if you take it anywhere near a serious racing track.

As a real world example:

I was with my sons racing at tracks and had a mother and son invest $400 on a RTR from LHS, in the first race he stripped his perfex servo gears, mum was SO DISTRESSED over the expense and the satisfaction return. She felt ripped off and misinformed.

I ignored my own sons and sat with mum and son, clearly stating to drive within the limits of the car and not chase the other racers. I donated an old servo and sorted it out for them. 1 hour later he was on track and doing quite well, mum was almost in tears seeing her son doing so well and very proud she was.

The boy was 12 years old, I tried to get through to him not to chase the others as they had Race bred chassis' and he wouldnt catch them and break his car. Needless to say, the racing got the better of him and he smacked the wall over driving and that was the last I ever saw of them again.

Every experienced racer or serious enthusiast will tell you to buy the best possible gear, not because they want you to melt down your bank balance, but becuase they know in the long run you would have saved a LOT of $$ if you bought a used racers setup and paid a little more from the start.

It's all too often disheartening when newcomers grab hobby cars and head to a race track. It's one thing to be impressed with the speed of a car in a car park or your neighbourhood smooth bitumen, once you get on track a distinct speed difference becomes very obvious and newcomers start to push harder than the car is capable. The tyres arent race tyres, the suspension isnt race bred and the chassis and woodscrew begin to fade and fail very quickly.

I trust that my explanation is well founded with many of the others in this thread who have witnessed the same situation and investment in our sport end up with the other broken toys.

Fair enough?

PS: The RCtech Database index is the index of posts which sometimes get confused and post messsages in the wrong threads.
RC Cars: E4/G4/TCX/LAB-C02/T4'15/MM Engines
WEB: Beachmums Racing - MYRCM Race Registration
Media: Amain - RCRacingTV - RedRC - LiveRC - blisx264
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #62
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Here's a nice Sportsman class. It's electric, but I mean with an RTR nitro class I would expect the same thing. Those F1s are powered by the Tamiya Silver can motor and Lipo battery packs. A track this size is perfect so that beginners wouldn't be focused on more power to win a race. You can have a box stock class. Sportsman would be allowed minor modifications such as anything tuned pipe, servos, wheels. Expert class could have well just about anything.

Tamiya F1 sportman round 2

Tamiya F1 Race 2009 Pro Round 2
Trying to live every day like its the last....
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote