whats a good 1/8th car?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Wink whats a good 1/8th car?

well i'm just lookin into these trying to get some input on if there any good
what are some perks about this class
what are some down sides to it also.
whats an amzing car to start with if i got into the class?

any oppions of these would be great just curious to see what peole say about em

thanks mark.t:smil e:
Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mark.t
well i'm just lookin into these trying to get some input on if there any good
what are some perks about this class
what are some down sides to it also.
whats an amzing car to start with if i got into the class?

any oppions of these would be great just curious to see what peole say about em

thanks mark.t:smil e:
The best car is the one that is supported by your LHS.
If it is a Mugen MRX4X then that is a right choice. The Mugen is easy to build, maintain and cheap in parts and drives as a winner straight from the box.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Initiate

there are many choices out there....SERPENT 966,MOTONICA P81,MUGEN,KYOSHO EVOLVA....i am about to make the jump myself...it is a tie between MOTONICA OR SERPENT....
Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by losipoppa
there are many choices out there....SERPENT 966,MOTONICA P81,MUGEN,KYOSHO EVOLVA....i am about to make the jump myself...it is a tie between MOTONICA OR SERPENT....
There is one you forget
Old 12-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It's probably the most expensive class to run. Definately the F1 of RC though
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

you forgot about the shepard velox a very good car fast out of the box multiple pastic so if you want a more rigit car you can have it or itf you want a less ridget car. incredible car i love mine oh btw way the best advice is the caR SOLD at your locAL HOBBY SHOP SO YOU CAN NGET PARTS
Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

the koyosho is the oe are shop has.
what are some good things about this car and what are some down things about it?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Mark, if your LHS sells Kyosho, then that is the only right choice, since availability of spare parts is the most important criteria. And euh, it goes without saying that Kyosho is a good car, as the Evolva is WC ever since 2003, until today.
My personal experience is that the car is very easy to build, good manual, maintenance is easy, all parts fit perfectly straight from the box, settings are easy to access. Price wise, overall I do not see much difference in spare parts comparing for instance with Mugen. And most important, the Evolva drives so very easy straight from the box with the factory setup. From my enthusiasm you might probably already comprehend, I can sincerely recommend Kyosho!!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

1/8 scale class is an abosolute BLAST. I went from 1/10 scale on road nitro to 1/8 scale and never want to go back. I miss driving my 1/10 but 1/8 scale is def. A LOT technical, faster and much more enjoyable (my personal opinion).

A lot of people consider 1/8 scale on road to be the F1 of RC racing and I now know exactly what they are talking about because it is. Its fast, fun and the cars are extreamly easy to work on.

Parts break on these cars just like any other RC but you also have to take in consideration the higher speeds these cars reach versus the 1/10 scale cars.

The downside to some people is the higher cost of 1/8 compared to 1/10 on road. Tires cost more and don't last as long when compared to rubber tires on the 1/10 scale cars, motors def. are more expensive when compared to .12 and .15s for 1/10 scale cars. Bodies are more expensive as well. But when you sit down and do a break down. The tires and bodies are only a few dollars more so if you're on a budget just make the bodies last They also do eat a lot more fuel versus 1/10 scale. As far as parts they are too much more expensive depending on what exactly you break

It really boils down to personal perference. Some prefer Serpent and others drive the other brands,

I personally like Serpent and own a 966. Its a great handling car and to boot its a beautiful piece of engineering when it is sitting on my office shelf .

If your LHS supports a brand, that could be a good reason to choose one or the other.

Then again you can always order parts online. Kamikazetoysandhobbies.com carries parts for all major brands and Sam is very quick with shipping and has excellent customer service. You could always choose a car you like that is not supported by your LHS and just stock up on spare parts (a-arms, spur and pinion gears, front bumpers, bulk heads etc etc).

Really boils down to what you like .. if you have never driven a 1/8 scale and totally out in the cold on this, that, and the other on these cars ... just buy a Serpent 966 .. you won't regret it Kamikazetoysandhobbies has a great deal on their SPECIALS section on a COMBO package which includes a motor.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by freestyles
It's probably the most expensive class to run. Definately the F1 of RC though
Not if you run a spec class, like GT.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

what is a good upgrade engine i could throw in the koyosho?
i'm looking for some thing with quick accelaration and pretty good top end.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mark.t
what is a good upgrade engine i could throw in the koyosho?
i'm looking for some thing with quick accelaration and pretty good top end.
I see a lot of racers running the Novarossi motors, which I do as well. My race engines are 35+21's that have been modified, so great power.

However, I picked up an OS, header and pipe. I have run it for club racing and even some practice at nationals. Motor tunes easily, good power and was $175 less than the Novarossi. Plus plugs are easy to pick up and a little less as well.

My 2 cents
Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i don't know Paolo personally, but i am certain he is a good fellow. i do know Garen, and i know he is a good fellow.

local parts support is a good thing if you aren't the best planner. (stuff will get broken no matter which brand you choose) so OPB(other people's brand) or parts that your buddy next to you has can be important in a pinch. with motonica, you can sub in many mugen drivetrain parts (pinion, spur, cvd, all clutch parts).

i will also add, that if you are a motonica owner (in the US) Garen will know you personally, and make a personal effort to ensure you are on the right track.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Roelof
The best car is the one that is supported by your LHS.
If it is a Mugen MRX4X then that is a right choice. The Mugen is easy to build, maintain and cheap in parts and drives as a winner straight from the box.
Based on experience, i think it is a sound advise!! Any IFMAR winning kit is good. But more importantly, it is the support of your LHS. Try also looking at what the guys are using week in wee out and in races....
Old 12-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (",)
Based on experience, i think it is a sound advise!! Any IFMAR winning kit is good. But more importantly, it is the support of your LHS. Try also looking at what the guys are using week in wee out and in races....
If you want the fastest kit, IFMAR results are the way to go. Collari drives the Kyosho M3 and won the last worlds with Swauger in 2nd with the Mugen. Mike Swauger tore everyone apart in Toledo at nationals just a few weeks later by nearly lapping the entire field.

Serpent has plenty of victories and the new car is redesigned and made in a new factory, very nice craftsmanship and proper use of aluminum instead of plastic like some other kits.

The fastest kit is not necessarily the right kit for you, some break easier than others or have very little parts support locally or even in the USA. The right kit is the one people are having success with locally so you can get advice from them, we can't really help you online as much as your local drivers (hopefully you have some fast and helpful guys)

2009 ifmar results
1 Lamberto Collari Kyosho
2 Mike Swauger Mugen
3 Adrien Bertin Kyosho
4 Robert Pietsch Mugen
5 Alberto Picco Mugen
6 Dario Balestri Motonica
7 Takaaki Shimo Kyosho
8 Mark Green Serpent
9 Rick Vrielijnck Mugen
10 Robin D'hondt Motonica