R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Why no nitro VTA class ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/347509-why-no-nitro-vta-class.html)

Transamman25 11-28-2009 04:09 PM

Why no nitro VTA class ?

It could be an easily regulated so why not ?

Danny-b23 11-28-2009 04:19 PM

Because 200mm sedan was supposed to be the spec class when it first started, and it quickly got out of hand.

jrxsMike03 11-28-2009 09:54 PM

vta

My experience has been most of the races have been in doors. Also motors i.e. novak 21.5 can fit in many different chassis from a tc3 to a jrxs. I dont know that much about nitro but it would be harder to regulate what upgrades the engines have on and the % nitro youo use. Electric you can look at the comm and tell if its a 27 turn or with the brushless the bell rings are color coated. Just my 2cents

Taylorm 11-29-2009 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by jrxsMike03 (Post 6653523)
My experience has been most of the races have been in doors. Also motors i.e. novak 21.5 can fit in many different chassis from a tc3 to a jrxs. I dont know that much about nitro but it would be harder to regulate what upgrades the engines have on and the % nitro youo use. Electric you can look at the comm and tell if its a 27 turn or with thebrushless the bell rings are color coated. Just my 2cents

..........except that extreme motor/nitro combos would easily overpower hpi's tire/wheel combo even on sticky track...........would be a cool cheap class just like electric VTA.........:nod:...wondering myself why something like this hasn't taken off.........

robk 11-29-2009 09:23 PM

I think this was going in the MD/NJ area at one time, but I don't know the full details. I thought it was the same vintage HPI tire, but they let the cars run clear wings to help keep them on the track. Also, a big motor will not help you, since the tires will be the limiting factor.

JLock 11-30-2009 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Taylorm (Post 6654669)
..........except that extreme motor/nitro combos would easily overpower hpi's tire/wheel combo even on sticky track...........would be a cool cheap class just like electric VTA.........:nod:...wondering myself why something like this hasn't taken off.........

A class like this has a hard time taking off due to many that want to buck the rules from the start. They don't want to run this tire or that body or that engine due to wanting to dominate the class from jump. To some racers, winning is everything and it doesn't matter at what cost. Where I race, we have this problem where we would start a class for the less experienced/knowledgable racers to compete and have fun while learning and the "expert" guys decide to build a car, jump into the class, obliterate all the competition just to say they won, then cry about why we can't get new racers to come out and grow the racing program. I like the concepts of this class and would even dust off my old HPI Racer 2 just to run in it (and be at a disadvantage to the other racers with the newer cars) just to get the class going in my area.

oeoeo327 11-30-2009 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 6657251)
I think this was going in the MD/NJ area at one time, but I don't know the full details. I thought it was the same vintage HPI tire, but they let the cars run clear wings to help keep them on the track. Also, a big motor will not help you, since the tires will be the limiting factor.

This class has been gaining speed in our area, and should continue to grow once we return to outdoor racing in 2010. Basically, it's an open class, as you can run any chassis, engine, etc., with the only restrictions being limited to the HPI Vintage tires/inserts and a "vintage" body. We've had a few racers get creative with their body choices, using choices from the Parma 1/10 scale classic body catalog.

The spec tire is what allows this class to work without creating too many rules and restrictions. It's been proven that there's only so much power you can use effectively with these tires, and the limited downforce makes a nitro VTA car a real handful...;)

20 SMOKE 11-30-2009 10:49 AM

spec class with the OS red head,bring back the read head

Transamman25 11-30-2009 12:03 PM

hell yeah .... .12 red heads and traction issues- now we will see who can really drive !

oeoeo327 11-30-2009 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Transamman25 (Post 6659500)
hell yeah .... .12 red heads and traction issues- now we will see who can really drive !

With OS .12CVs, traction would no longer be an issue...:sneaky:

Believe it or not, resisting the temptation to spec the motor actually HELPS keep things fair. Basically, if your car isn't driveable (because of too much power), it's your own fault; if it's not fast enough, that's your fault too!!!:lol:

FWIW, I've been working on a good friend's Nitro VTA ride all season (HPI R40 w/OS TR12), and the TR12 falls just SHORT of having too much power. :D

Seisick 11-30-2009 02:40 PM

since the indroduction of our national 3 dates championship
we did notice the difference between engines, basically there
are basic, middle top and no matter the cost engines!
by this we had some piccos red dot, then some jp black and max rr3
some nova 353 sirio xxx, and then some other as 353 maxys, and all kind
of murnans, some were discouraged by how fast the near $600 engines are
so it has been decided that for the next year championship a
one brand engine was the logical choice to bring the cost down, guess what
the os 18 was chosen due to its hight output and low cost, everybody fron now on
is going to use this engine and for i;ve heard, all drivers are loving this engine, runs like
a 353 nova at a half its price including pipe, also 20 nitro was the fuel limit
and we'll see how it goes, at least the engine is not going to make the difference in some!
but heres what it is important, since the introduction of this engine, new members have
come to the club so that is the main reason to do this also!
os 18 tz, is $150 including shipping since tower has a sales coupon!
i now that for that reason there are specs for ifmar sanctioned racing, but
for those in our club that want to have fun at a low cost, the news for this engine
is a blast!

will let you know how it goes next year
'til then!