Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Serpent 966

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Solara
If you really looks thru all my comments...at the end, I am still waiting to see the "TRACK" performance of this vehicles. I DID NOT mention anything NEGATIVE from what Serpent did....I owns over 12 serpent thruout the last 20 years of RC racing and I don't know why I am still buying Serpent. But I am disappointed to seeing you saying I am bad mouthing SERPENT when I was clearly "concerning" about the 966e electronics specification.
My apologies. I have overstepped the line there...
I did not intend to say you are bad mouthing anyone. I have just felt that you're comments generally look at the impossibles in stead of the possibles.

If I have offended you I apologise. Let's get this thread back to what is usefull.
Julius
Old 12-03-2009, 04:48 AM
Tech Regular

Batteries are only part of the problem, and finding an easier quick change system. Getting a reliable speed control that can handle the huge power draw on full throttle acceleration is a major problem. It will have to be a ramp up power draw. A two speed transmission will ease some of this power draw. The other thing is weight balance and c/g. The batteries are incredibly heavy and the car will have much more weight in the front of the car. I don't see these cars really being as competitive handling wise w/o a suspension redesign.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Julius
My apologies. I have overstepped the line there...
I did not intend to say you are bad mouthing anyone. I have just felt that you're comments generally look at the impossibles in stead of the possibles.

If I have offended you I apologise. Let's get this thread back to what is usefull.
Julius
Julius...no apologies needed, I am sure that has to do with my broken English as well.
I have mentioned before...SERPENT did a lots of the "FIRST" in the market, including this 1/8th production on road...instead of all of us "homemade conversion"...I am 110% happy about Serpent did step in and tell us there is a market or interest in this 1/8th E-conversion even though all the ppl I have talk to rather hear the NITRO instead of seeing the lipo/bl version.

I know you from a long time thru the Serpent thread and know you are a well represent person from SERPENT....now the car 966-e is here, my only interest are the specification that you guys are using to POWER this thing. The car itself need not require any explaination...966 must be a great car already. I want to see what mah/c-rating of those 4S lipo that you guys are planning to use..? Then the speedo spec....the motor Kv, then a video of the 966-e running along side a 966 (even it might be slower then the nitro one)...then the run time. Will that make 5 minutes..? Motor temp after 5 minutes..?

Those are the target you guys can write down and post it on the site to back up the 966-e project.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RayJ
Batteries are only part of the problem, and finding an easier quick change system. Getting a reliable speed control that can handle the huge power draw on full throttle acceleration is a major problem. It will have to be a ramp up power draw. A two speed transmission will ease some of this power draw. The other thing is weight balance and c/g. The batteries are incredibly heavy and the car will have much more weight in the front of the car. I don't see these cars really being as competitive handling wise w/o a suspension redesign.
Alot of ppl already thinking about quick change system or try to get this thing has a long run time like the nitro car does. However, once you have get involve with this kinda conversion, you will relized that, trying to get this 1/8th on-road to have a GOOD, kinda like the nitro version RACE PERFORMACE for 5-6 minutes is hard enough.Not to mention...the speedo, lipo and motor temperature after the 6 minutes time are all getting to their acceptable temperature already. To do a quick change and keep on running with a HOT speedo and motor is like asking something to blow up.

The amp draw is indeed a big problem for the speedo...using 2-speed might help by a little, but there are test saying the shifting actually draw more amps and the straight line performace is not as good. I have seen 1/8th conversion with 2-speed go very slow on 1st gear, then it will slow down while it shift, and jump off the line after shifting...I am not sure that require the shfiting adjustment or that is the electric motor thingy, but they don't look good at all.........someone said they tried to make the shift point alot eariler and it as quite OK, but I have not seen video of that to back that up....

1 step at a time I think....let them figure out what motor, speedo and lipo will get this 966E has a good 6 minutes FAST run (not kinda move around run) then we can start thinking about getting to 15 minutes run by changing lipo.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof
Yes there is on the Serpent website.

It seems they have choosen the LRP SPX8 combo set and probebly the 2800kv version. I have calculated the theoretical speed with the rpm, transmission and 76mm tires and it will hit the 100km/h
But does it work with 4S battery? What are the runtimes and can esc and motor keep up with all of that?
There is a lot of talk on this forum about people testing e-cars. And it is said that 6S is the way to go with about 2000 kv or so motor and high geared.
How than is it possible that Serpent goes the opposite way?
That is 4S and 2800 kv motor.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jdesoto
Our first S966e was shipped to us this week and we will start testing next week. We'll post some info on what we find and if you happen to live in Florida you'll get to see it run in person at the Kissimmee and/or Homestead track.

Keep you posted.

Joaquin
Serpent America
Any video of the 966e @ Kissimmee? Then what are the spec of the electronics..? Motor kv and what lipo that was used..? I can't wait to order the 966e or the conversion and I am planning to use 5500mah saddle packs and Speed Passion Slotless Cirtix system/Tekin RX8...2050kv, 2200 or 2500kv..

I still believe...6S with lower turn motor (2000kv) might have a chance for 5-6 minutes hard running.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

if i am not mistaken they have been running one here in Houston, texas during the 200mm pre-worlds. tomorrow is the last day. when i looked at it, they had a novak hv 6.5 system in it and single speed. they said it was weak in the straight. anyways i think a dude by the screen name john stranahan had been helping them some. a local to the gulf coast raceway. check the thread for that track in the texas forum.