Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
who thinks they should make 30mm slicks for the touring cars? >

who thinks they should make 30mm slicks for the touring cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

who thinks they should make 30mm slicks for the touring cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by modellor
I personally think they should ban slick rubber tires from nitro racing.
Just my 2c.
hmmm nice ban the biggest 200mm IC class in th UK!!

why suggest stopping something that works if you know what your doing and has a good healthy championship?
maybe i should say ban foam "keep it scale keep it real!!" foam ain't real for full scale!

Last edited by Cartman; 03-01-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

the main reason that drivers can not make rubber tyres last is that they have a total lack of understanding of tyre/ insert and car set up!
in the UK the biggest IC 200mm class is the rubber series, i made an A final at Halifax and used one set of tyres wheels and inserts all day! inc 30 min A final (thats not possible with foam)
at the last foam national a few of the top drivers were fitting a NEW set of tyres EVERY run! reason? as they had trued them to the optimum size! (not diameter change on rubbers)
all the drivers who run rubber enjoy and do it for the challenge, many have tried foam and don't like the wear, chunking, tyre wear.

one last thought, we race SCALE model cars when was the last time you saw any 1:1 car on foam tyres?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Manufactures wont make wider tyres as there is no championship to require them and no need to use them!
Old 03-01-2004, 03:14 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by Cartman
the main reason that drivers can not make rubber tyres last is that they have a total lack of understanding of tyre/ insert and car set up!
in the UK the biggest IC 200mm class is the rubber series, i made an A final at Halifax and used one set of tyres wheels and inserts all day! inc 30 min A final (thats not possible with foam)
at the last foam national a few of the top drivers were fitting a NEW set of tyres EVERY run! reason? as they had trued them to the optimum size! (not diameter change on rubbers)
all the drivers who run rubber enjoy and do it for the challenge, many have tried foam and don't like the wear, chunking, tyre wear.

one last thought, we race SCALE model cars when was the last time you saw any 1:1 car on foam tyres?
I totally agree with your post. That is exactly our reality here in Peru, so we run only rubber class. Costs less, runs great, last longer.
This is my point............lets see, when was the last time you saw a BTCC touring car on foams.............uhmmmm!!! jajajajajajaja
Old 03-01-2004, 03:19 PM
afm
Tech Master

the main reason that drivers can not make rubber tyres last is that they have a total lack of understanding of tyre/ insert and car set up!..........................................
Cartman, why don't you share with us your knowledge on choosing and setting a car on rubbers correctly.
We run with PMT tires from Italy. Do you know them????
They come pre-mounted and in 4 different shore ratings.
AFM
Old 03-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here in brazil there is a local company who makes 235mm tires in rubber ...
Old 03-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by afm
Cartman, why don't you share with us your knowledge on choosing and setting a car on rubbers correctly.
We run with PMT tires from Italy. Do you know them????
They come pre-mounted and in 4 different shore ratings.
AFM
i do and have tried them but we only had the hard ones and it was a cold day and if i had have spent more time setting car i would have gone better!

its hard to say explain how to set your car up for rubber but if you want i can mail you how i run my mtx3. and ill try to do a bit on setting car and i will put together a bit about tyres!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:08 AM
afm
Tech Master

i do and have tried them but we only had the hard ones and it was a cold day and if i had have spent more time setting car i would have gone better!

its hard to say explain how to set your car up for rubber but if you want i can mail you how i run my mtx3. and ill try to do a bit on setting car and i will put together a bit about tyres!
Yes i'm sure you would've, and imagine when the slicks are ready for the market. The ones we've been using are the threaded ones.

Every car has it's peculiarities. I run a Yokomo GT4 and have used different settings from UK drivers posted on CML's web page.

As per posting basics about car settings, and how to's and dont's about rubber tires, it would be helpful.

Thanks
AFM
Old 01-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys, I was about to buy some vintage slicks (31mm) and I was wondering if anyone knew how long they would last if your just playing around instead of racing?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Champion

Just regular information if you like.

I think Tamiya has belted 28mm super slick ( type A and B ).

& there is another type : extra wide version, maybe 32mm slick, but it's not belted version.

I remember these tyres come from TA03 era.

Check again at tamiyausa.com, or buy tamiya rc model book.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)

Originally Posted by modellor
People complain about foams not working on anything other than special prepped surfaces. What I ask is how did we manage for many years to run 1:8th (both 2WD flat pan and 1:8th 4WD) on non-prepped car parks and concrete yards with foam tires before all the tracks started to spring up.

Just my 2c.
QFT.

-Ant.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kyle_12345
Hey guys, I was about to buy some vintage slicks (31mm) and I was wondering if anyone knew how long they would last if your just playing around instead of racing?
You might be disappointed.

Most probably you will be doing doughnut and spin alot.

Standard tires normally find in kits are not meant to be played. Only for display.

Ditto with vintage tires, you don't know where did they come from. Even if the vintage tires were hop up option tires back then years ago, these tires probably have lost stickyness due to age. ( to old to use ).

Use them for display only.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

HPI has the vintage racing going on. Part of the rules requires that we run vintage rubber tires. We race with those slicks as well as the ribbed tires. On most sufaces, we get pretty good traction. The only problem that we have is the insert. They come pretty soft. Because of the soft insert, there is some roll and you have to adjust your car for that. If you look at my avitar, that is a picture of my Vintage AAR Cuda with rubber tires. There is traction with those tires!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is a link directly to HPI for the 31mm Vintage D Compound tires - (http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/4792/).

The insert on these tires are a soft foam and the outside side wall on these tires is fairly tall. I've only raced with the treaded tires, but I will say that this design does tend to have a little bit of roll. However, once you get a setup that works for them, the rear has plenty of grip. Granted, the USVTA motor rules create slower overall speeds in the straights, but the handling in the infield is on par with much faster classes.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

I think rubber tires suck.No way they grip as much as foam,I dont care what you say its common sense.Why dont 8th scale,and touring cars have rubber tires if there so great???Ive run rubber on a touring car,that used to be all there was til foam.My LHS sells 2 pair for 22 bucks.Rubber tires on nitro touring cars,thats crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.