Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Traxxas 3.3 VS. other >

Traxxas 3.3 VS. other

Traxxas 3.3 VS. other

Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Traxxas 3.3 VS. other

So I hear that the Traxxas 3.3 engine is one of the best on the market. I'm looking for a drift car engine, so I'm mainly wanting speed and high revs not torque. Is the traxxas still the best or should I go with a different engine?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

lol who told you that?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Tech Rookie

one of my friends who runs a mini-t. he said its one of the best. thats why I'm on here trying to verify it. what's better? For drifting I mean.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Tech Regular

The best ones are definately not kit motors. Ones like Novarossi, Sirio, Ninja, RB etc etc are the best ones. For Nitro drift you dont want stupid amounts of RPM cos you wont be able to control it. Get a torquey motor.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I would think that drifting would be done better with an electric chassis. Trying to find the perfect clutch setting and (low)needle settings with a nitro engine is going to be tricky. I would think the 3.3 would be a good engine for drifting. I would certainly not put an expensive motor into something thats just going to be revved all the time.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lil is absolutely correct.....

Nitro drifing is nothing like the electric counter-part. The Traxxas engine would make a excellent drift motor because of it high torque and durability.

I've heard of people putting OS carbs on them for holding a tune better, if you want to go that far. I would just change the o-rings and put some sealer on engine if it were me. Plop on some HPI or tamiya drift tires and you should be good to go.

With that said, the chasis matters too. Weight placement and shift will determine how well you car can enter and hold a drift, or lack thereof.

So far the HP drifter does this this the best. Some modding will have to be done to get the Traxxas motor working on that car.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

traxxas motors are junk you definently dont want to waste your money on them motors you will sling a rod out of them they are JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 10-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default drift

tttt!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Seems my view is completely contrary to the last post. I've owned a 3.3 now for about 1+1/2 years. Regular maintenance and had no probs. Very powerful engine all through the range. You don't want any high revving motors like novarossi or sirio etc. Only prob is that it's a bit heavy seeing it's a .20. Maybe an HPI nitro star .15 would be better. After alot of searching seeing as Traxxas don't have a rating for this motor, I've found a dyno test that says it's about 1.4-1.5 HP whereas the HPI is rated at 1.2 . I don't think you'd need more power than that for drifting. My 2 cents.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Actually If the point of drifting is to break rear wheel traction and keep it maintained and under control then shouldn't I go with a high revving motor. I mean say the Traxxas 3.3 is say, a low revving Chevy Impala(which has a rev limiter at about 6 or 7k) and that Novarossi is, a Honda S2K (rev limiter at around 8-9 maybe even 10k). Since drifters run S2K's and not Impala's shouldn't I go with the Novarossi. Couldn't it give me a wider "Tire-Spin" band?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by smokinmaxx
Actually If the point of drifting is to break rear wheel traction and keep it maintained and under control then shouldn't I go with a high revving motor. I mean say the Traxxas 3.3 is say, a low revving Chevy Impala(which has a rev limiter at about 6 or 7k) and that Novarossi is, a Honda S2K (rev limiter at around 8-9 maybe even 10k). Since drifters run S2K's and not Impala's shouldn't I go with the Novarossi. Couldn't it give me a wider "Tire-Spin" band?
Rhys Millen uses a 7.0l Corvette motor and Sam Hubinette used a Viper. Real cars are completely different to rc engines. they have wheels and thats where the similarities end.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Rookie

i'm sorry to discredit your information Renault but Mr. Millen used a Hyundai Genesis this year, a Pontiac Solstice for the 2 or 3 years before and a Pontiac GTO to years prior to that. There was no 7.0L Vette motor. But my question was regarding the RPM's not the Horsepower.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Rookie

But just out of curiosity with Rhys being such an understanding man of car engines and power makers, then why would he put the 7L LS7 in a drift car instead of the 6.3L LS3 that would make better room for customization and power?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Tech Regular

Because he could.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Rookie

I just purchased a Nitro-4-Tec 3.3 and i must say the thing hammers. Traction is an issue and i've already destroyed the standard tires (ripped the foam inserts out) as well as another set of glued tires and rims. I'm having a few issues with it but hoping to iron them out soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.