Wiki Posts
Search

Glow Plug numbers ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Glow Plug numbers ?

Do I have this right? the lower the number the hotter the plug?

My car turns off under throttle as soon as I apply it. However it tends to not do this with the igniter on the car...

I am using an RB #6 my engine is a Novamega 3P turbo. Do I need a hotter plug? like a 5 or 4 ? I am running 20% j-tech fuel.

thanks !
Old 02-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Angry

no one knows? - incredible

come one guys, I am pretty disapointed at the fact I spent all this money and I cant get my car to run ... =(
Old 02-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

If you are using turbo head, I would use a cold plug. Typically I use cold plugs for high powered engines like your NovaRossi. But it is really up to you and it depends on what you are tuning your engine for.

Unfortunately, it is sometimes hard to get many responses from the forums for specific problem. If you wanna get up and running, your best bet is to go to the track and ask around. I'm sure you will have a much better chance of getting some help.

I have always thought that you use the medium to warm plugs for lower percentages in nitro. As in under 20%.

Oh and if your engine was running ok before now, then maybe your glowplug has become worn and you may need to replace it.

If you have changed nitro fuel, then that may have an adverse effect on idle too.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

As a general rule for Novarossi plugs you are right. But not for plugs like OS etc. Don't worry about the plug temp for now, run what comes with the motor.

The symptoms you describe are due to tuning most likely. Get a brand new plug if yours is old and tune the engine to that plug first. The play with plugs from there.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

ok, thanks, I will do
Old 02-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

A 6 RB turbo plug would be just fine for your engine. In really warm/humid conditions I would use a 7, but otherwise 6 is just what you need. If your engine dies when the plug is of the igniter, it is a sure sign you need a new plug (maybe combined with some needle adjustments) though.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

and you are correct, the higher the number, the colder the plug. Really, the higher the number, the later the plug will ignite the fuel/air mixture.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

I was told that if the tip of the plug (wire) has a different coloration, bronze like, while the rest is silver, it mean I have burned some of the plug?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Well,

If you know what you are looking at it is possible to read the plug and see how your engine is doing. If the filament looks greyish-silverish the carb is too lean. If it has some oil residue on it it is fine, too much and you know that you are too rich, but it is hard to describe without a show and tell. Trust me, if the engine stops maing noice when you pull the ignitor, you need a new plug.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

thanks, I will give that a try this week.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

So, can I ask how do you know when a plug is too hot or too cold? I mean provided when you the test the glow plug its working correctly or not burned out.

I actually think that the 5 and 6 I ran where too hot, bc a friend put an 8 and it worked pretty good. - now I am not sure if it was a serpent plug or OS...
Old 02-25-2004, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

It is one of those touchy feely things. If your engine seems to run well, but you have problems that it eats plugs (and assuming you have a head clearance that is in the ballpark), you are probably using a plug that is too warm. If your engine does not seem to want to go (as in rev high and responsive) you are using a plug that is too cold. If anyone else has a better way to explain how you choose plugs, please offer your thoughts.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:36 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by fmolzer
.........................If anyone else has a better way to explain how you choose plugs, please offer your thoughts.
You might try reading this article, it is a good 101 on plug basics.

www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/glowplugs.asp

Hope it helps
AFM
Old 02-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

thanks, I will read it right now.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:26 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by Profoxcg
thanks, I will read it right now.
You are welcome, after reading it if you still have questions, just post'em.
AFM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.