R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-22-2004, 10:29 AM   #16
Tech Elite
Default New STS motor not working

I have found that regardless of the brand of engine, it usually will take about 10 tanks of fuel to FULLY seat the P & S.

One or two tanks at idle, the rest driving the car at a gradually increacing pace, keeping engine temperatures ABOVE 200 F.

If you have a very tight engine that is giving you trouble on the starter box and nothing else seems to work. Try two 7.2 stick packs in the box instead of the 12v Gel-cell. The extra voltage helps get that motor turned over when the pinch is extra tight. Also make sure that the Rubber wheel on the box fully contacts the flywheel. Any misalignment will cause slippage, which you don't need at this time.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:14 PM   #17
Tech Master

I agree pops, the STS is the only engine ive had thats different so far

Quotes from STS guy in STS thread:

So I have to notify all STS users that;
1)Be patience to break in your engine. Don't lean it before 2L fuel through it.
2)After 2 liter fuel(about 27 tanks/75cc),replace with a new conrod.
Full message (re: crankshaft breakages)

5. After about 1~2 liter fuel through it, take out the glow plug and turn the flywheel by hand, let the piston pass the top dead center in the sleeve. When you don't have any significant friction or just a little snug, you can start leaning the main needle incrementally in small steps, and keep it around 100~120 oC (212~248 F).
[b]PS.Yes,you need about 1~2 liter fuel through for sure that you can start to lean it. STS's piston is harder than Novas. If you have more patience to break in our engine,you will find our engine more lasting. Mine D3 borrowed to my racer for racing last weekend,he still win the A-champion. In fact I got that engine about half year ago.(practice plus 4 times races) I guessed about 4 gallons through it already. But still have unbelievable compression. [b]
Full message (running in):
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote