Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by azeroth
g 10 would give you the flex but floating one of yours would be faster and allow you to adjust tweak easier IMO but hey what do I know i run a GT

and yes i will be club running my edam this weekend in portage
On reflection, I'm inclined to do both, float the front and do the G10. For your Edam, remember to be patient, especially with the bloody clutch (man but I hate those things.) In Davids main, his clutch was still not right....AND...we discovered afterwards that a large part of his problem handling wise was he broke the front right shock mount (hitting the wall at 80 head on tends to do that) so it's pretty good on his part that he managed to finish at all. Boy got skillz and can only get better. As for GT, were I you, I'd beef it up just a tad like what Tom has done to his, get over some of the inherent built in weaknesses of the thing.

Another quick note on pan...looking at my tires, I think they have another full weekend on them. They were used 4wd tires at the beginning of the year....I've never seen so little tire wear in my life, but then again, I'm running 45 fronts and 40 rears and I'm not having any traction issues. Not even when the track was a little slick from the rain did I have too many problems. And since I can run the things all the way to the pan (since my rims are just a hair below the pan) I'm getting full value out of the foam. Sweet!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Here's a good one....

I noticed, both at Toledo and at Portage, that the car didn't have all I'd like on the backstraight. Our build has gear options but none that go in the direction we need. Hm.

So Tom looks at the thing and suggests I use an Edam gear on it, maybe make a hub since there are some differences in the sizes of the gears. Yeah, that's workable...but then he suggested I just put the entire Edam gear assembly on it. I had to cut down a spare lay shaft since I didn't have a drill bit that'd cut a hole for a pin, but believe it or not...perfect fit. Perfect mesh. I installed the stuff, and I may have to change it later, since I made a rather large change in tooth count, but I have a LOT of Edam gears, pinion and spur. Even if I've gone too far in gear ratio, I should be able to shove a gear on it that'll have a happy balance between top and low ends. I'm just so amazed that the lay shaft out of the Edam is the exact same size as the one out of a Kyosho GT, I strongly suspect that the same assembly out of any car would have worked just as well.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

LOL of course
Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

hey phil how small you want them tires<G> i'll save the ones i ran on the razor yesterday all day if you can use OS1 on that rig
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

Default Heh

Originally Posted by azeroth
hey phil how small you want them tires<G> i'll save the ones i ran on the razor yesterday all day if you can use OS1 on that rig
I have plenty of rubber....and I screwed up huge. In my haste to get things ready, I went completely the wrong way on gearing and made it worse, so I had to withdraw the car from running. More proof of my increased stupidity as I get older. I know how to fix it, but I'll have to make another pan and some corrections to make it right...I'm just really irritated at how I made such a screwup in the first place. Based on how it ran at Portage, I'm prepared to stack it up against any other car (other than an old Delta, that is) in terms of durability and handling, I just have to get the speed issue nailed is all.

Also, I've received a few orders for the three shoe Edam clutch setup for guys running pan. Joe P ran it and was well pleased...I ran it in Portage and it keeps the r's up while delivering the power properly when needed, and with so little wear I can barely notice it. One of the neatest parts about it is it'll fit almost any application and accept most everybodies pinions, and I've always been a big fan of multi-use stuff. It's probably I was such a big fan of AMC in the day.....
Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I have plenty of rubber....and I screwed up huge. In my haste to get things ready, I went completely the wrong way on gearing and made it worse, so I had to withdraw the car from running. More proof of my increased stupidity as I get older. I know how to fix it, but I'll have to make another pan and some corrections to make it right...I'm just really irritated at how I made such a screwup in the first place. Based on how it ran at Portage, I'm prepared to stack it up against any other car (other than an old Delta, that is) in terms of durability and handling, I just have to get the speed issue nailed is all.

Also, I've received a few orders for the three shoe Edam clutch setup for guys running pan. Joe P ran it and was well pleased...I ran it in Portage and it keeps the r's up while delivering the power properly when needed, and with so little wear I can barely notice it. One of the neatest parts about it is it'll fit almost any application and accept most everybodies pinions, and I've always been a big fan of multi-use stuff. It's probably I was such a big fan of AMC in the day.....
it also fit the p8c perfect putting the flywheel in the middle of the slot in chassis. for the price it can't be beat for our application
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Is it just me, or does everyone go to sleep while talking about Edam stuff?
Old 06-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Is it just me, or does everyone go to sleep while talking about Edam stuff?
i think they are a great club level car. and the parts are affordable. maybe the talks just get a bit long winded
Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Sorry, I was asleep....what's that you say??
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Sorry, I was asleep....what's that you say??
Quit sleeping and get my parts ordered....
Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HPI Proceed 2wd

Here is my take on the pan car. I built it using a HPI Proceed I know it is not "a true pan" because I still have suspension. but it is a good proof of concept.

I built the diff using the Proceed spool, removing the inner support leaving only the outer ring. Then built a support ring to hold the differential from a HPI RS4-3/HPI super nitro rally, and joined everything together using some JB weld. Using some o-rings and some RTV I was able to seal the diff allowing for diff fluid to be used.

The spur gear is from an ofna buggy which fit perfectly on the rear shaft of the Proceed. The clutch bell is also from an Ofna buggy. In order for the diff to fit into the Proceed I had to make some bearing cups to accept the smaller bearings. There was little bit of rubbing so had to make some minor modifications but was able to get the diff to drop into the Proceed.

Eventually I would like to make the diff and bearing cups using a 3-D printer, but for some parts I had sitting around it looks OK. I'll let you know how it handles the .21

X
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1084-r.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1086-r.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1080-r.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1088-r.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_1079-r.jpg  

Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by X-Factor
Here is my take on the pan car. I built it using a HPI Proceed I know it is not "a true pan" because I still have suspension. but it is a good proof of concept.

I built the diff using the Proceed spool, removing the inner support leaving only the outer ring. Then built a support ring to hold the differential from a HPI RS4-3/HPI super nitro rally, and joined everything together using some JB weld. Using some o-rings and some RTV I was able to seal the diff allowing for diff fluid to be used.

The spur gear is from an ofna buggy which fit perfectly on the rear shaft of the Proceed. The clutch bell is also from an Ofna buggy. In order for the diff to fit into the Proceed I had to make some bearing cups to accept the smaller bearings. There was little bit of rubbing so had to make some minor modifications but was able to get the diff to drop into the Proceed.

Eventually I would like to make the diff and bearing cups using a 3-D printer, but for some parts I had sitting around it looks OK. I'll let you know how it handles the .21

X
have you ran the diff yet?....wondering how the JB weld will hold up to heat...I have a brake system on my 1/8 pan car where I JB welded a brass piece to an... aluminum hub.....held for a short time....then the heat got the better of the JB weld and it fell apart...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default JB

Originally Posted by Taylorm
have you ran the diff yet?....wondering how the JB weld will hold up to heat...I have a brake system on my 1/8 pan car where I JB welded a brass piece to an... aluminum hub.....held for a short time....then the heat got the better of the JB weld and it fell apart...
Matt,
Did you use "Quick Weld" or regular? The regular has better properties im my experience....
Old 06-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Matt,
Did you use "Quick Weld" or regular? The regular has better properties im my experience....
.I used the regular...it held for a few runs..then let go.....I thought I was done for the day then Mastermind Davis to the rescue...did the 'ole blacksmith trick...peened the aluminum hub (you made) corners over the end with a punch and hammer...Genius Rick is...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.