Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #1456
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
I getting ready to go out to the Toledo track for T&T! Have my DXF, P8C , and RC 300 Davis/Schmaltz ready to go! (I think!) HAsn't rained all moring at Lon Sr.s house so should be dry, 80F but windy. Main objective is to see if I can get the engines running and go from there!!

Phil, I'm kinda a re-nubie on 1/8 but best I can tell is 4wd guys run about 35 rear and 32 fronts and on the Classic Pans 35 rear and a bit harder fronts, may 37or 40. I think harder would probably not work well. I can run "modern Wheels on my RC 300 D/S and will try the same as Classic to start, 35/37. My guess is 30 to 32 might be good for rears blut might bounce too much and I'd like to try around 40 fronts....

By the way, had a great time "helping" at the Toledo Weak Signals show Friday and yesterday! The club guys did a great job getting a booth set up on very short notice and we had lots of people stopping by to talk and expect to have some check out the racing and maybe join in!

Good Job, Guys!!!
What I've seen is some in 10th, for example, running 42 front/40 rear..probabaly because the rears are wider so as to try to get more even wear throughout the four tires. I'm thinking, instead of going that route, making combo sets, say like 35 rear, but 35/40 front, one ring of each (on 4wd). Obviously it's a pain in the rear for me, I have to get the rubber, then try various stuff till I hit on something that works. When I get the stuff, I'll pass out some rings so others can try it as well, and maybe this way, with a few cars running it, we can figure what works best with the least amount of maintenance/truing. Do you know if they are running electric on the 28th...I'll be up there probably night of the 27th and spend the weekend, if no one is running the 28th then I can get another day of experimenting in.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #1457
Tech Addict

Default Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
..that just may be the ticket....harder outer ring and softer inside..........2 bux per tire for my pan would be sweet.........then i only have to get killed on tires for the 4wd
I know the rims are throwaways for what is sold now, but I'll be dumpster diving for 4wd rims so I can try my rubber out on them as well. I'm not wanting to just solve the rubber prob for pan, but for 1/10 and 1/8 4wd as well. I know some ppl don't want to bother with mounting their own stuff, and some ppl have plenty of money to buy whatever premount rubber they need or want, but I know some of us po' folk have to economize. I just want to give ppl the option either way, at least till Jaco sends a hit team out to find me, that is....
Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #1458
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
I know the rims are throwaways for what is sold now, but I'll be dumpster diving for 4wd rims so I can try my rubber out on them as well. I'm not wanting to just solve the rubber prob for pan, but for 1/10 and 1/8 4wd as well. I know some ppl don't want to bother with mounting their own stuff, and some ppl have plenty of money to buy whatever premount rubber they need or want, but I know some of us po' folk have to economize. I just want to give ppl the option either way, at least till Jaco sends a hit team out to find me, that is....
.i also would mount all my 4wd tires if it could be possible to get the same performance out of a set of donuts........the tire prices are ridiculous and you can't tell me markup on tires isn't huge.........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #1459
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Tires+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
What I've seen is some in 10th, for example, running 42 front/40 rear..probabaly because the rears are wider so as to try to get more even wear throughout the four tires. I'm thinking, instead of going that route, making combo sets, say like 35 rear, but 35/40 front, one ring of each (on 4wd). Obviously it's a pain in the rear for me, I have to get the rubber, then try various stuff till I hit on something that works. When I get the stuff, I'll pass out some rings so others can try it as well, and maybe this way, with a few cars running it, we can figure what works best with the least amount of maintenance/truing. Do you know if they are running electric on the 28th...I'll be up there probably night of the 27th and spend the weekend, if no one is running the 28th then I can get another day of experimenting in.
1/10 sedan and 1/8 4wd are totally different animals, in my opinion. The tires so much smaller they wear faster and therfore they need harder tires. The loads are considerably different. Again, I'm pretty sure the majority are running softer fronts or at least egual duro front and rear. I would suggest maybe you could experiment with current pre-mounted tires to find the balance you need, then look for the same type set-up with the rubber you can get. I'm pretty sure anything over 35 fronts will be too hard.

There are electric races scheduled for every Saturday. But if it is the same a last year, guys practice with the gas cars after the E-Races.
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #1460
Tech Addict

Default Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
1/10 sedan and 1/8 4wd are totally different animals, in my opinion. The tires so much smaller they wear faster and therfore they need harder tires. The loads are considerably different. Again, I'm pretty sure the majority are running softer fronts or at least egual duro front and rear. I would suggest maybe you could experiment with current pre-mounted tires to find the balance you need, then look for the same type set-up with the rubber you can get. I'm pretty sure anything over 35 fronts will be too hard.

There are electric races scheduled for every Saturday. But if it is the same a last year, guys practice with the gas cars after the E-Races.
That's what I did at the last club race I attended last year, waited till they were done, then got a few laps in. I'm short of 4wd rubber till I get some rims, so I'll probably do most of my running with the pan to see how the rubber holds up and if the rest of my setup is good. I rebuilt my carbs over the winter and not entirely sure if they're up to snuff yet, plus my plugs don't get here till next week...feller from Canada selling S&H plugs at 3.50 a pop and they seem like good plugs...
Old 04-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #1461
Tech Adept

Default WRC 2wd pan car

FG supply shipped my WRC kits yesterday, should have them early next week. I will post pics when I get them in.

Dale
djmachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #1462
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmachinist View Post
FG supply shipped my WRC kits yesterday, should have them early next week. I will post pics when I get them in.

Dale
oh no not another new car!! can't wait too see it. anyone have tips too make my paint jobs more durable? besides not hitting the wall

an'
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #1463
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
oh no not another new car!! can't wait too see it. anyone have tips too make my paint jobs more durable? besides not hitting the wall

an'
....use Pactra(lacquer) and not the acrylic/ faskolor..........
Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #1464
Tech Regular

Default Panning out

Our 1st race is just around the corner and the pan action is mounting. Brent Gottried is on his way, this guy knows how to run a pan car and if he needs help, he has a National Champion at home to give him pointers. Another fast pan guy that just got his P8C is Joe Tuttle, never a big buck racer, but always able get outstanding results. A battle to watch at the top. Between the two of them, they have 2 good eyes. I'll pick Joe on this one, he gets the most out of what ever he runs, the P8c will remind him of his MRP days.
I watched Matt T. and Joe P. play around today and they both looked good at times. P8C vs. RC 300, I vote on the P8C on this one but when Matt's motor was running good, he looked tough. I respect the racer running the older cars and wish them well! Just stay out of my way!!
It looks like there are going to be 3 or more young racers running with us, and I say beat em while you can cause they're up and coming stars!
Our season just gets going and Rene Young will be bring the fastest Cincinnati pan car on to our track for the MWS. Ned will be back with his french fry car too. He run his car for the first time last week. It's got the right stuff and Ned will get the most out of it. Yet in the end he'll figure out he sold T-Bone the wrong car.
LETS RACE!!!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #1465
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
I watched Matt T. and Joe P. play around today and they both looked good at times. P8C vs. RC 300, I vote on the P8C on this one but when Matt's motor was running good, he looked tough. I respect the racer running the older cars and wish them well! Just stay out of my way!!
!!!!
..........what the hell u expect at 45 degrees and 100mph winds.......lol.............fingers numb and eyes full of tears............still a fun day at the track..........to bad the Nedster went home.............
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #1466
Tech Addict

Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
I respect the racer running the older cars and wish them well! Just stay out of my way!!
Hmm. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's slow...and remember the law of gross tonnage! lol
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #1467
Tech Regular

Default For got

It was less then ideal condictions, but Matt's eyes are always full of tears any how, he should be used to it! How could I forget the Delta Super J? Speaking of tonnage, it's a tank, but a fast tank for sure. Not sure where it will fight its way into the field but Phil and his "J"car will be adding to the fun for sure. It's gonna be a great season!
LETS RACE!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #1468
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

I'm looking forward to unleashing Lon III on the pan car class and he almost seems excited about running it. I'm going to work on his car this week and get it dialed in so it is easy to drive and has a bad push for him. I ask that you guys remember he is 9yrs old and new to the hobby. When I started racing in the 80's I had my Dad, Ned, John Fong, Ed Bird, Marvin Davis, and a few others who treated me like a fellow racer but I know I was just another object they had to get around on the track. I have always remembered that and hold all those guys in the highest respect today. I guess what I'm asking is that we don't yell at the kid and make him feel bad for being on the track. I will play the roll of the bad guy for you guys since he doen't really care if I yell at him.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #1469
Tech Addict

Default Heh

I need to remember to paint bullseyes on the car so everyone has a better target to hit...lol. Hey, quick question, I need a new body for the car. I have some unpainted bodies from way back but I'm loathe to cut them as I have only one of each (and I promised Ned if he needed them for templates he could borrow them.) Anyhow, I've having trouble finding a body...for example, apparently most of todays cars have a wider set in the front, big dip between the wheel wells, so I can't use a body like the Blitz because the tires would rub on the inside. Any ideas would be appreciated....
Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #1470
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

This is Lon III's body
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote