R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #1411
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Hey guys I got a problem! Trying to finish my "Davis" car with a 3 port NR engine. WEnt to put a header and pipe on it and NO GO! The header hits the tire. Matt, Joe, Rick, anybody, what header can be used on a "modern" engine to clear stuff on an RC 300 car? I ahve a work around but wonder how I got into this situation...

Ned
ok i have same problem, i just put a big chamfer on the inside edge of the tire and maybe ran the track a bit wider
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #1412
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
...nice work Ned.....looks good............
Thanks Matt. I hope it stays on ok, should work.

Man, I mounted a Porsche 962 body on my Davis! Now that's a race car!!! I can't wait to try her out!!!
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #1413
Tech Addict

Quote:
Here are some pix of my "solution" to my exhaust problem. I'll find out soon if it works!! Basically I reversed a standard header, using an adaptor to deal with the different diameters of the engine and pipe.
you may find the os2 wheels clear better than os1(yellow)
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #1414
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
ok i have same problem, i just put a big chamfer on the inside edge of the tire and maybe ran the track a bit wider
That was my next solution, Joe! I may have issues with the next set of tires I use!

What are your plans for the next two weekends? I hope to run the electrics now that that's a go. I think the 15th is an official "test and tune" day at the Mall track are you going to make it down? I plan to go to the Model Engineering show on the 21st as early as possible and then back to the Mall to race electric as much as I can, then practice gas. And of course race on the 22nd!!!! yahoo!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #1415
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
you may find the os2 wheels clear better than os1(yellow)
Which are which? Isn't OS1 the original Serpent offset and OS2 the Mugen/Kyosho/NEW offset? Are they still around? The old offset seems to fit my DXF better than the "new" wheels.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #1416
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
That was my next solution, Joe! I may have issues with the next set of tires I use!

What are your plans for the next two weekends? I hope to run the electrics now that that's a go. I think the 15th is an official "test and tune" day at the Mall track are you going to make it down? I plan to go to the Model Engineering show on the 21st as early as possible and then back to the Mall to race electric as much as I can, then practice gas. And of course race on the 22nd!!!! yahoo!
The club might be in need of your help this coming weekend so don't make to many plans.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #1417
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
The club might be in need of your help this coming weekend so don't make to many plans.
We goin fishin'??? Yeah!!!!! ;-)

Klunk says the Monster Cars are the "for sure" class, and seems unsure what else electric may run, so that looks like a no-go for me. Until classes are set, at least.....

I might try to drum up some UF1 with Dish and Brad!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #1418
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey Ned

Quote:
We goin fishin'??? Yeah!!!!! ;-)

Klunk says the Monster Cars are the "for sure" class, and seems unsure what else electric may run, so that looks like a no-go for me. Until classes are set, at least.....

I might try to drum up some UF1 with Dish and Brad!
Sitting around and ruminating while healing up from various ailments and wondering...I recall Rick Davis and Art Carbonnel at the GLC last year. I know Rick still has a pan since he drove it at a club race. So I'm wondering...what're the odds of getting them to both drive a pan at the GLC? I know Art is running a Capricorn and all, but I'm wondering if we can talk them into giving pan a little extra boost. I don't know if Art still has a superj around (I'd bet he does tho) but I'd be willing to donate a superj to the cause. Any other old pan drivers you can think of to convince/coerce/bribe? Lol.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #1419
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
Sitting around and ruminating while healing up from various ailments and wondering...I recall Rick Davis and Art Carbonnel at the GLC last year. I know Rick still has a pan since he drove it at a club race. So I'm wondering...what're the odds of getting them to both drive a pan at the GLC? I know Art is running a Capricorn and all, but I'm wondering if we can talk them into giving pan a little extra boost. I don't know if Art still has a superj around (I'd bet he does tho) but I'd be willing to donate a superj to the cause. Any other old pan drivers you can think of to convince/coerce/bribe? Lol.
Sounds itnteresting! I really have been out of 1/8 for so long I don't know who's a possiblility other than Rick and as you say Art. Rick ran his a bit last year when I was in Toledo and was FAST (as you would expect!).

The problem in "giving pan and a llittle extra boost" is that we are talking two totally different classes of cars. The "Classic Pan", P8C type, belt drive, and adjustable stuff, is the class that Toledo and the Midwest Series will race. The "Vintage Pan", Super J, RC 300 etc, direct drive, straight rear axle, etc. is totally different and not really a part of this class.

What I believe is happening again, is that the wishes of some (to go back and run the vintage pans, is getting confused with reality. I'm fairly sure Rick and Art could run competitively, and beat most of us running Vintage vs. Classic, but there are not built to the same rules (Classis's are to run 3 Port non-turbo plugs).

An exhibition race might be a good idea.

For me, I intend to try to make the MWS and run Classic Pan and have a VIntage Pan along just in case! ;-)

Hope to see you at the races!!
Ned
Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #1420
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Quote:
Sounds itnteresting! I really have been out of 1/8 for so long I don't know who's a possiblility other than Rick and as you say Art. Rick ran his a bit last year when I was in Toledo and was FAST (as you would expect!).

The problem in "giving pan and a llittle extra boost" is that we are talking two totally different classes of cars. The "Classic Pan", P8C type, belt drive, and adjustable stuff, is the class that Toledo and the Midwest Series will race. The "Vintage Pan", Super J, RC 300 etc, direct drive, straight rear axle, etc. is totally different and not really a part of this class.

What I believe is happening again, is that the wishes of some (to go back and run the vintage pans, is getting confused with reality. I'm fairly sure Rick and Art could run competitively, and beat most of us running Vintage vs. Classic, but there are not built to the same rules (Classis's are to run 3 Port non-turbo plugs).

An exhibition race might be a good idea.

For me, I intend to try to make the MWS and run Classic Pan and have a VIntage Pan along just in case! ;-)

Hope to see you at the races!!
Ned
Does that mean vintage won't be allowed to run in the series with the "classic"? I don't have a classic and really don't plan to get one. (I just bought a 4wd, rehabbed all the old stuff, and daughter starts college this year, I'm officially broke.) I dimly recall my car held its own against the motonica's at a club race for the most part, and that was with ghastly handling probs (no traction, 33 yr old foam, etc.) because I just threw the car together for the weekend to run, was the first time that car has been run on a track since probably 1980. My three port Picco wasn't giving anything up on the backstraight, either. I'm going to be a tad disappointed if that's the case.....I'll still drag the SuperJ to the club races but if vintage is to be excluded, then I'm left with 4wd only. Please let me know asap so I can plan accordingly.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #1421
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Does that mean vintage won't be allowed to run in the series with the "classic"? I don't have a classic and really don't plan to get one. (I just bought a 4wd, rehabbed all the old stuff, and daughter starts college this year, I'm officially broke.) I dimly recall my car held its own against the motonica's at a club race for the most part, and that was with ghastly handling probs (no traction, 33 yr old foam, etc.) because I just threw the car together for the weekend to run, was the first time that car has been run on a track since probably 1980. My three port Picco wasn't giving anything up on the backstraight, either. I'm going to be a tad disappointed if that's the case.....I'll still drag the SuperJ to the club races but if vintage is to be excluded, then I'm left with 4wd only. Please let me know asap so I can plan accordingly.
You bring your pan car and it will be fine out there with the other pan cars. No worries.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #1422
Tech Regular

Default Panning for Gold

The boy is 100% right. As far as I'm concerned,we really went the pan car racing to be focused on fun. There well be old cars and new cars, old drivers and young drivers (even a girl or two). We're trying to start out with CanAm type bodies for 1/2 season, then GT. Your Super J and you are very welcome to come and play, but you better duct tape your little doors on!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #1423
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
All pan cars will be allowed to run the Midwest Series races. As with most classes, driving will determine the outcome.

Dennis
dyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #1424
Tech Addict

Default One more question for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyoung View Post
All pan cars will be allowed to run the Midwest Series races. As with most classes, driving will determine the outcome.

Dennis
As if I haven't complicated things enough...I know it can't be run in the Midwest Series but would there be any objection to me running a Thorp at the GLC? This thing has sat in a box since the late 70's, it's never been run. I don't want to run it to compete with it, I just want to run it because I've never driven a Thorp and it seems wrong somehow to have something that never ran. I expect the rule against it is that it is a variable speed belt drive (pretty forward for its time I think) and that's an unfair advantage in competition, but I think there'd be a lot of people might be interested in seeing something that old and that nice run on the track since all the other Thorps I've heard of have become shelf queens. And no, I'm not too worried about breaking it or anything...lol...it survived this long, and it'll eventually get sold (where someone will stick it on a shelf, I'm sure) but it deserves a lap or two since it never got one. Thanx....
Old 04-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #1425
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyoung View Post

Dennis
Dennis, Lon II and Lon,
Sorry I stuck my nose where it didn't belong. I'm old school, there were always written/published rules for classes when I was involved in running the One-Eighth Racers and the Mid-West Series. (I know, ancient history! LOL) I am simply not used to a run-what-ya-brung, anything goes class! I understand Lon's idea of a "FUN" class, but also know "FUN" has different meanings for different people....

PLEASE do not take this as a complaint, I was merely trying to fill in blanks as I thought they had been discussed. I'm too old and feeble to worry about being competitive and living 400 miles from the nearest 1/8 gas racing, it is not like I can be a weekly participant anyway.

Good Luck,
Ned