Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default Marker Spur Gears

Originally Posted by 5italkart
not sure if we could get old school spur gears it would be easy. as of now was going too make 2 fronts (one for the monclava missle) for the 300
I purchased my MARKER on Ebay about 8 years ago with no spur gear,clutch bell,flywheel or clutch shoes after a five year Ebay search,I finally gave up.What I ended up doing was installing Associated motor mounts,flywheel,clutch and clutch bell.For the spur gear I purchased 2 RC200 spur gears and had them hogged out to fit on the back of the MARKER rim (the stock location) and mounting holes drilled in proper places.It's not a box stock MARKER as I would have liked but it's as close as I could get.It might be as close as you can get too.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
I purchased my MARKER on Ebay about 8 years ago with no spur gear,clutch bell,flywheel or clutch shoes after a five year Ebay search,I finally gave up.What I ended up doing was installing Associated motor mounts,flywheel,clutch and clutch bell.For the spur gear I purchased 2 RC200 spur gears and had them hogged out to fit on the back of the MARKER rim (the stock location) and mounting holes drilled in proper places.It's not a box stock MARKER as I would have liked but it's as close as I could get.It might be as close as you can get too.
I may be able to help you a bit! Depending on what the Marker I just bought has, I have motor mounts and a flywheel I shouldn't need. You may have modified your chassis to fit the Associated mounts and not want to mess with changing...
The marker gears were a finer pitch, maybe 32?, than everybody else used but your solution will work fine for sure.

I'll let you know what I get!

Ned
Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Here are views of the McClaren and Indycar. The wings were mounted on vertical struts from the chassis. I don't recall the source of the bodies but I have some RC Car newspapers from the era in storage. Perhaps there are ads in them, I'll see. Roy Moody may recognize it.
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_0092.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_0095.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Left out a view.
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-img_0093.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Toom Raider
Here are views of the McClaren and Indycar. The wings were mounted on vertical struts from the chassis. I don't recall the source of the bodies but I have some RC Car newspapers from the era in storage. Perhaps there are ads in them, I'll see. Roy Moody may recognize it.
In regards to the McLaren body, I'm not sure who manufactured it, but it sure would be nice to see it duplicated either in fiberglass or vacuum formed. If your body was done in fiberglass there was a company ( PMP Manufacturing, in Denver , CO.) which made a M-8 fiberglass body back in the early '70s.
Now as to the Indy car body. That body is scaled after the 1970 STP-McNamara Indy car, obviously under STP sponsorship, and driven by Mario Andretti. I can find info on two companies which made the body in 1/8th scale. One was the previously mentioned PMP Man. Again that body would have been in fiberglass. If your body is polycarbonate it was probably made by Dynamic Models the maker of the Dynamic pan car and full suspension car.
All this info came from the Oct. 1970 issue of Pit Stop Magazine, which was the first magazine published for the r-c car racer. The publishing company also published R-C Modeler mag. Pit Stop was only published for a very short time, from Sept. 1970 until July 1971. Short lived, but a very neat magazine with the early history of organized R-C car racing.
Now you know the rest of the story.
CHEERZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Toom Raider
Toom-Sorry to inform you Roy passed away a couple of years ago...my wife and I exchange Christmas cards with Mrs. Moody (Roberta). This past year she mentioned that some of the old guard (Greg Zelinski, I think) is working to keep Roy's Monee Raceway going, but it is getting difficult...

RIP, my good friend!

Ned
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

One of the local guys here has a stash of Motonica P8.0R front knuckles, rear uprights, and brake discs, the same ones as on all the Motonica 2wd and 4wd Pan cars- P8C, P8F, P8C Extreme, etc. I told him to post here if/when he wants to sell them. I think he might let them go for cheap, in case anyone is interested. Keep an eye out.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Sad to hear about Roy! I lost contact with him in the 80's.

FAB, I think that you are correct about JMP for the Indy body. That seems to ring a bell. I had that one on a much modified Heath car. The ABS McClaren was the body that came with the Associated that I won in Chicago. Mike Morrisey flew in for the MWS race and awarded a complete kit to the last place guy
Old 03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garen
One of the local guys here has a stash of Motonica P8.0R front knuckles, rear uprights, and brake discs, the same ones as on all the Motonica 2wd and 4wd Pan cars- P8C, P8F, P8C Extreme, etc. I told him to post here if/when he wants to sell them. I think he might let them go for cheap, in case anyone is interested. Keep an eye out.
any news on the body's yet ? joe
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC300-RC250-...item256e3bad16
LOL..i have 5 NIP that i'll sell for 5 dollars each.........DREAMIN..........
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC500-radio-...item256e3bd5ed umkkaaaaaa
Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Taylorm
Yes , but he's offering free shipping ! HAHAHAHA
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default bad start

Originally Posted by Taylorm
motors in starter box went kapuut on sunday. time to canbalise the cars.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Not a major problem

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Well, yes and no... Almost all the guys planning on running in Toledo and the MidWest Series are going to race "Modern" Pan cars, the Classic Class from Europe. A few of us are messing with the idea of playing around with the older cars, mostly Associated types, but likely they will not be competitive with the newer cars. After all, reports from Europe indicate that they can handle modern race engines and are appearently very fast!!

If I had my 'druthers, I'd race old Deltas, Associateds, MRPs, Markers, etc. But, although I can beg, borrow, steal, and build one for me, I do realize it is not practical or even possible for most. Now if we can find someone with some free CNC time, I'll get with those interested to put in some design inputs and we will make a run of 50 to 100 "Retro Pan Cars" and have some real fun!! ;-)

Bottom line is bring out what you have, I'm sure you can run it around and probably race if too! Just realize what you have vs. what the modern pan cars are and have fun! Your biggest problem is likelly to be TIRES! We have not been able to find any donuts to glue to existing wheels and the only ones available are the modern 4WD ones pre-glued and trued. SOme have been able to make adapters, the front is pretty easy, the rear is usually tricky because of the diff.

Good luck,

Ned
I started working on that prob a few months back, I intend to run 4wd this year as well but the price of tires was driving me nuts, I remembered mounting tires "back in the day." So..about 20 phone calls later and many days on the internet I found a company that produces the sheets with which you can punch donuts. Not sure how they'll work for 4wd as they are about 35 shore, but when I ran my super j last year I couldn't get enough traction so these should work really well on pan class. I punched out donuts, made a tire horn (lost mine about 25 years ago when I got out) and now the only prob I'm having is glue, trying to find something that holds well but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I figure tires are going to cost me well less than 2 bucks a piece, which I can live with....
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I started working on that prob a few months back, I intend to run 4wd this year as well but the price of tires was driving me nuts, I remembered mounting tires "back in the day." So..about 20 phone calls later and many days on the internet I found a company that produces the sheets with which you can punch donuts. Not sure how they'll work for 4wd as they are about 35 shore, but when I ran my super j last year I couldn't get enough traction so these should work really well on pan class. I punched out donuts, made a tire horn (lost mine about 25 years ago when I got out) and now the only prob I'm having is glue, trying to find something that holds well but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I figure tires are going to cost me well less than 2 bucks a piece, which I can live with....
.i recently bought some Permatex weatherstrip adhesive..........coat tire and rim .......then dunk both in lacqer thinner........seems like they will hold great..ill post the item # later when im home......Do you have a link where you bought sheets of foam for donuts??........donuts are getting harder and harder to come by..........i need more for my 300BD car.....
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Great to hear about your tire solution! The glue you want is 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive (3001??) We called it "Tiger Snot"! Any auto parts store should have it for $3-4.

The best way to mount tires is to rough up the outside surface with coarse sand paper or the like, brush on the glue with an acid brush used for applying flux for soldering. Also brush the glue on the ID of the donuts and sides if your are making the tires out of multiple rings.

Let everything dry for an hour or so (semi-optiional) then dip the wheel and donuts in lacquer thinner and slide together, positioning the donuts evenly on the wheel.

If you have rings it is best to apply load to the rubber to keep the rings glued together. Some like the rings unglued but it always glued them together, the glue didn't affect the wear and they looked better! If the rubber is a bit narrower than the wheel you can put a hole the size of the wheel in a piece of wood so the weight presses on the donut.

It's best to wait awhile before truing but in a pinch you can do it pretty soon.
Remember to use all necessary saftey measures etc.

Please let me know where you got the rubber and how you cut the donuts. or if you would sell some donuts. No luck finding any other hardnesses?

Thanks, Ned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.