R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #1306
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADD FABRICATOR View Post
Having been invited to join in on the conversation by a dear friend,
(aarcobra), from a previous life, I've read through most of the posts on this topic. Even back in the 70's and early 80's various car clubs attempted to form novice, beginner, cheap, or whatever you wanted to call it classes, with mixed results. Everybody wanted to go as fast as possible and therefore ended up spending many $$$$$$ on very expensive and the trick of the week items. Sadly this usually ended up costing the clubs a loss of members because some guys just couldn't afford the high ticket items and therefore sought out other venues of the R-C hobby to find their enjoyment. As a results some club died a premature death.
It's great to see that there is now an active interest in a spec class where the rules actually mean something, and not be ammended every week so the driver is forced to spend $$$$$$ just to stay competitive and enjoy racing, with maybe even winning a race once in a while.
It would also be great to see somebody once again manufacture bodies which resemble real race cars from the by-gone era of Can-Am racing from the late 60s-70s. ( see attached photos of two of the most beautiful bodies to ever grace a R-C car).
Looking forward to seeing additional comments on this class of racing.
CHEERZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
......I have a BRAND NEW UNCUT 30KL body that is begging to be repopped.......hoping to have a mold made sometime in the near future.........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #1307
Tech Rookie

Ned speaks highly of your stash of vintage R-C car goodies. Just wished I would have saved some of my cars and bodies. I was one of the founding members of the One-Eighth Racers ( Toledo, OH.) and really enjoyed the club and it's members. I'm glad to see that some of the members I used to race against are still at it. Although it's a little scary to see some members kids and grandkids are now in the hobby. I guess that makes me kind of OLD !!!!
I don't race any more, as the body won't take the punishment of all that running around marshalling the turns and etc.
I still have an active interest in the cars and am presently working with Ned on a project. I mostly do 1/8th scale R-C street rod type cars which I take to car shows and cruise nights to show the younger generation what can be done with R-C cars when you don't/can't race anymore . I've attached a couple of photos of one of the rods I've built.
CHEERZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-ratz-rod-1.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-ratz-rod-4.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #1308
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
......I have a BRAND NEW UNCUT 30KL body that is begging to be repopped.......hoping to have a mold made sometime in the near future.........
sending special opps team in too steal it
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #1309
Tech Adept

Quote:
Having been invited to join in on the conversation by a dear friend,
(aarcobra), from a previous life, I've read through most of the posts on this topic. Even back in the 70's and early 80's various car clubs attempted to form novice, beginner, cheap, or whatever you wanted to call it classes, with mixed results. Everybody wanted to go as fast as possible and therefore ended up spending many $$$$$$ on very expensive and the trick of the week items. Sadly this usually ended up costing the clubs a loss of members because some guys just couldn't afford the high ticket items and therefore sought out other venues of the R-C hobby to find their enjoyment. As a results some club died a premature death.
It's great to see that there is now an active interest in a spec class where the rules actually mean something, and not be ammended every week so the driver is forced to spend $$$$$$ just to stay competitive and enjoy racing, with maybe even winning a race once in a while.
It would also be great to see somebody once again manufacture bodies which resemble real race cars from the by-gone era of Can-Am racing from the late 60s-70s. ( see attached photos of two of the most beautiful bodies to ever grace a R-C car).
Looking forward to seeing additional comments on this class of racing.
CHEERZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
Mark Donohue's Porsche 917/30 ! WOOOW!
Flygio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #1310
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
sending special opps team in too steal it
,Canadian special opps are probably as tough as girl scouts......GOOD LUCK......
Old 03-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #1311
Tech Rookie

Default It was called super stock

In the late 70's the racers who were concerned with$$$ ( me) found super stock class attractive. Pretty simple rules and equipment, i try to get this right.
Gt body, perry 19 carb or similar Venturi, no diff,no suspension cars, there was a weight but....... Also no tuned pipes. There may have been a couple of more rules regarding materials etc. class always had an a and b main but never more than that, it fizzled but mostly because drivers moved to open class ultimately and no new blood filled the super stock class. Basically what I am saying is no one wanted to cheat all that much to win Super Stock,it was all good.
I have been watching this thread a long time,I think you guys have something.
Stu
serieseast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #1312
Tech Master

Quote:
Ned speaks highly of your stash of vintage R-C car goodies. Just wished I would have saved some of my cars and bodies. I was one of the founding members of the One-Eighth Racers ( Toledo, OH.) and really enjoyed the club and it's members. I'm glad to see that some of the members I used to race against are still at it. Although it's a little scary to see some members kids and grandkids are now in the hobby. I guess that makes me kind of OLD !!!!
I don't race any more, as the body won't take the punishment of all that running around marshalling the turns and etc.
I still have an active interest in the cars and am presently working with Ned on a project. I mostly do 1/8th scale R-C street rod type cars which I take to car shows and cruise nights to show the younger generation what can be done with R-C cars when you don't/can't race anymore . I've attached a couple of photos of one of the rods I've built.
CHEERZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
.i've been searching for vintage bodies for some time...hoping to maybe someday be able to reproduce them so the guys can run vintage stuff.....you have some neat cars......are those hand built from the ground up???.i wanna see more pics......i love the homemade stuff......
Old 03-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #1313
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serieseast View Post
In the late 70's the racers who were concerned with$$$ ( me) found super stock class attractive. Pretty simple rules and equipment, i try to get this right.
Gt body, perry 19 carb or similar Venturi, no diff,no suspension cars, there was a weight but....... Also no tuned pipes. There may have been a couple of more rules regarding materials etc. class always had an a and b main but never more than that, it fizzled but mostly because drivers moved to open class ultimately and no new blood filled the super stock class. Basically what I am saying is no one wanted to cheat all that much to win Super Stock,it was all good.
I have been watching this thread a long time,I think you guys have something.
Stu
We did a similar thing in the Midwest Series. It eventually became a ROAR class. The rules were much as you describe, Veco McCoy Engines, Perry .19 Carb, no-nitro or low nitro fuel, 5 1/2 lbs., and a GT body. I know we had diffs and pretty sure used pipes. Great class, good partcipation, fun racing and really pretty fast. If I remember correctly, before suspension cars came out, the fastest SS cars would generally have made the bottom of the A-main in open! I was moving in '89 and I think about then is when SS became Pan class and shortly died....
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #1314
Tech Rookie

Quote:
.i've been searching for vintage bodies for some time...hoping to maybe someday be able to reproduce them so the guys can run vintage stuff.....you have some neat cars......are those hand built from the ground up???.i wanna see more pics......i love the homemade stuff......
I've been making fiberglass bodies since about 1970. I was really in love with the F-1 style of body and of course the Can-Am bodies. Where as, nobody in this country produced a realistic F-1 body I took it upon myself to create and make my own. Of course beings they were fiberglass, they were extremely heavy when compared to the lexan or polycarbonate bodies, thus although I finshed most races I entered, winning, was not one of my attributes. But, my main purpose was to have fun with an enjoyable hobby, which I also was able to share with my son for about 10+ years before he found 1:1 cars and girls. I still produce 1/8th scale fiberglass bodies buy mostly for modelers who want to build large scale models which are not destined for R-C, but for the shelf to admire. These bodies include a '23 track nosed "T" bucket roadster, a '29 Ford Model "A" roadster, a '32 Deuce three window coupe, a '32 five window coupe, a '40 Willys coupe, a '48-49 Anglia coupe, a Bonneville Belly tank ( P-38 aircraft belly tank adapted for running on the salt flats), a Fiat Topolino coupe, a vintage ( late 40's ) style sprint car, an Edmunds midget, a Kurtis Kraft midget, and I'm presently working on a couple of new projects. When I get a chance I'll dig out a couple photos of the F-1 cars I ran way back when,( they were pan cars )and post them.
I don't want to hijack this forum thread, but I just wanted to show everyone that yes, you can have some fun running a pan car. CHEERZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #1315
Tech Master

Quote:
I've been making fiberglass bodies since about 1970. I was really in love with the F-1 style of body and of course the Can-Am bodies. Where as, nobody in this country produced a realistic F-1 body I took it upon myself to create and make my own. Of course beings they were fiberglass, they were extremely heavy when compared to the lexan or polycarbonate bodies, thus although I finshed most races I entered, winning, was not one of my attributes. But, my main purpose was to have fun with an enjoyable hobby, which I also was able to share with my son for about 10+ years before he found 1:1 cars and girls. I still produce 1/8th scale fiberglass bodies buy mostly for modelers who want to build large scale models which are not destined for R-C, but for the shelf to admire. These bodies include a '23 track nosed "T" bucket roadster, a '29 Ford Model "A" roadster, a '32 Deuce three window coupe, a '32 five window coupe, a '40 Willys coupe, a '48-49 Anglia coupe, a Bonneville Belly tank ( P-38 aircraft belly tank adapted for running on the salt flats), a Fiat Topolino coupe, a vintage ( late 40's ) style sprint car, an Edmunds midget, a Kurtis Kraft midget, and I'm presently working on a couple of new projects. When I get a chance I'll dig out a couple photos of the F-1 cars I ran way back when,( they were pan cars )and post them.
I don't want to hijack this forum thread, but I just wanted to show everyone that yes, you can have some fun running a pan car. CHEERZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...you sound like quite the artist..would love to see pics of your handiwork.........(maybe open a photobucket account, then we could go there to see your work)...MATT
Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #1316
Tech Regular

Default This guy is good!

Before we had electric cars for winter action, we'd set around just waiting to see this guys car for the up coming season. If you got cool points for appearance to go with your racing points, this guy would have been club champion many times. I hope he can dig up some F1 pictures. There was this one year when he used a very hard for any one else to get their hands on stuff for Jackie Steward's hair. To cool for words!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #1317
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default hollywood

Quote:
,Canadian special opps are probably as tough as girl scouts......GOOD LUCK......
considering bruce willis for the job
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #1318
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
considering bruce willis for the job
IS bRUCE cANADIAN?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #1319
Tech Master

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Eagle-...item20c3592b73 .wake up Ned, you have some buying to doooooooooo.....
Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #1320
Tech Master

Default Yawnnnnnnnnn

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Eagle-...item20c3592b73 .wake up Ned, you have some buying to doooooooooo.....
Huh, whatttt....Nope, I scored a Marker Machine for $81 last night. Plus I thought we were collecting PAN cars. ;-) Was the Delta Eagle really released in 1978? Seem a few wears early to me....

I'm tracking down a Delta Pan, hope to pick it up this spring!!

If I get my MRP I'll be able to go around with a Vintage Rent-A-Racer Concession!!!

See you in about 5 weeks!!!
Ned