R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #1291
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
I'll bring mine too! I'm gonna put a coupla servoes in it! Let's RACE!
Oh oh....now i have done it!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #1292
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
Place a 5 gallon bucket, with 20 foot string fixed to side, in center of track, the string well have a mark at 10 foot mark. put buggie on string at 20 foot mark. now start buggie, release and start timer at same time. Buggie that wines up string on bucket up to 1o foot mark in shortest time wins and becomes Champion of the World.
LOL. I wonder how much nitro a Tee Dee can take
Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #1293
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the offer but I'll spring for a new radio. What is the preferred system today?
Toom Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #1294
Tech Regular

Jeff, 60% for a fast but short time! TeeDee,now that was a sweet motor. In the 1/12th gas days, the TeeDee was a rocket!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #1295
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
Jeff, 60% for a fast but short time! TeeDee,now that was a sweet motor. In the 1/12th gas days, the TeeDee was a rocket!

I remember. Going to show my age here a little (thus the Masters class for me) and certainly off the subject thread but , when I was a kid I had all the Cox engines, The Black Widow, the TeeDee, the standard 049 with a spring start, the PeeWee which I had in a free flight helicopter and it seems like I had a 09 version of the Cox engine too. I put them in anything with wheels, wings or, floats. That was cools stuff back then.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #1296
Tech Master

Double post
Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #1297
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toom Raider View Post
Thanks for the offer but I'll spring for a new radio. What is the preferred system today?
All are light years ahead of the old systems. 2.4mHz is a no brainer. After that it's pretty much personal choice. I would go with a "Major" brand-Futaba, Airtronics, Spektrum, etc. Beware of the supercheap ($25- to $40) radios, there have been some reports that they are "off-frequency" and interfer with other radios!
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #1298
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff whiting View Post
I remember. Going to show my age here a little (thus the Masters class for me) and certainly off the subject thread but , when I was a kid I had all the Cox engines, The Black Widow, the TeeDee, the standard 049 with a spring start, the PeeWee which I had in a free flight helicopter and it seems like I had a 09 version of the Cox engine too. I put them in anything with wheels, wings or, floats. That was cools stuff back then.
Yeah, the "TD's" were the top of the line! They had .049's as well as .051's to fit into airplaine classes (Lon always ran the .051!) I remember the little neighborhood "hardware" store had the BabyBees on a blister-pack! YOu just tore one off and paid $4.95! ;-)
Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1299
Tech Master

Quote:
LOL. I wonder how much nitro a Tee Dee can take
Ya gotta find some Fox "Missle Mist"! I think it was 40%
Old 02-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #1300
Tech Rookie

Felt like it was, I might have a purple can of that somewhere. I might have used it for a bonfire, though. Mfr says 24%, I think the old stuff was more.

What are the preferred servos today. The old Delta servos required a pitstop for batteries back in the day.

Last edited by Toom Raider; 02-29-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Toom Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #1301
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toom Raider View Post
Felt like it was, I might have a purple can of that somewhere. I might have used it for a bonfire, though. Mfr says 24%, I think the old stuff was more.

What are the preferred servos today. The old Delta servos required a pitstop for batteries back in the day.
..anyhting middle of the range with metal gears will work fine............dont need monster power /super fast speed for pans.............
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1302
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
i had those too i , anyone remember the goldberg profile control line planes ? we would buy 1 kit and trace out copys too make more!.
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #1303
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
i had those too i , anyone remember the goldberg profile control line planes ? we would buy 1 kit and trace out copys too make more!.
You crooked Canadian! Why that thought never even crossed my mind ;-)

One summer I got a bunch of balsa sheets and dope and built like 4 or 5 planes of my own designs. All flew but is flying on the end of a couple of strings really flying?!?!?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #1304
Tech Master

Default 3 Port Motor

Anybody needing a 3 Port Motor might want to check this one out:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Standard-Plug
Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #1305
Tech Rookie

Having been invited to join in on the conversation by a dear friend,
(aarcobra), from a previous life, I've read through most of the posts on this topic. Even back in the 70's and early 80's various car clubs attempted to form novice, beginner, cheap, or whatever you wanted to call it classes, with mixed results. Everybody wanted to go as fast as possible and therefore ended up spending many $$$$$$ on very expensive and the trick of the week items. Sadly this usually ended up costing the clubs a loss of members because some guys just couldn't afford the high ticket items and therefore sought out other venues of the R-C hobby to find their enjoyment. As a results some club died a premature death.
It's great to see that there is now an active interest in a spec class where the rules actually mean something, and not be ammended every week so the driver is forced to spend $$$$$$ just to stay competitive and enjoy racing, with maybe even winning a race once in a while.
It would also be great to see somebody once again manufacture bodies which resemble real race cars from the by-gone era of Can-Am racing from the late 60s-70s. ( see attached photos of two of the most beautiful bodies to ever grace a R-C car).
Looking forward to seeing additional comments on this class of racing.
CHEERZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
Attached Thumbnails
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-porsche-can-am001.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-mclaren-can-am001.jpg