R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #1276
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
I learned how to start these engines with my finger flipping the flywheel!! Probably switching to a Muran Nova Rossi 9 Port, Can't have enough power, you think?

Yeah, I keep switching from a "stock" build to a "resto-mod" build. ;-) May re-think the Servo Saver. Ya think I need to use slotted head screws and piano wire linkages with Du-Bro connectors?
now that chassis is never going too break
5italkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #1277
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

Speaking of using your thumb to get a motor started, would it be ok if I brought out my Cox 049 Dune Buggy? Of course I will have to put a nail in the middle of the straightaway to hook up the string since it just goes in a big circle but hey I want in on the nostalgia.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #1278
Tech Rookie

Default Did someone say "Pan Car"?

I too raced back in the 70's and still have my old Heath car, Marker Machine and Associated RC2B(300B?) cars. Would these fit into your Pan Car Class? I'd come out of retirement for that. I'd need a new radio and servos though.

Last edited by Toom Raider; 02-28-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Toom Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #1279
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Here are some pix of one of my secret weapons for next season!!
I love this! I've been tempted to make a fiber glass chassis on the CNC machine at work.. got plenty of 3.2mm thick FRP.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #1280
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
DO NOT FORGET TO SAFETY WIRE THE BACK PLATE, you know what happens if you don't.
I don't remember having that problem much, if at all. I was so slow that the screws never came loose! I have seen some short 4-40 socket head screws with little holes thru them in my junk box!!!
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #1281
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5italkart View Post
now that chassis is never going too break
SHe may not break, but she'll bend like you won't believe! ;-)
Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #1282
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff whiting View Post
Speaking of using your thumb to get a motor started, would it be ok if I brought out my Cox 049 Dune Buggy? Of course I will have to put a nail in the middle of the straightaway to hook up the string since it just goes in a big circle but hey I want in on the nostalgia.
I'll bring mine too! I'm gonna put a coupla servoes in it! Let's RACE!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #1283
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toom Raider View Post
I too raced back in the 70's and still have my old Heath car, Marker Machine and Associated RC2B(300B?) cars. Would these fit into your Pan Car Class? I'd come out of retirement for that. I'd need a new radio and servos though.
......Toom......I will be running a 300ball diff car myself against the new pan cars..........I have an older Airtronics CX2P that works perfectly you can have for free if you want it...Pay for shipping and its yours...you will need to scrounge up a receiver for it though...........http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=RC250001.jpg .my solid axle car..PM me if interested... http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...rm/2312021.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...rm/2312020.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...kRC3002003.jpg

Last edited by Taylorm; 02-28-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #1284
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar View Post
DO NOT FORGET TO SAFETY WIRE THE BACK PLATE, you know what happens if you don't.
.............i don't.toooo young..what happens???..............do they go KAPOW?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #1285
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toom Raider View Post
Well, yes and no... Almost all the guys planning on running in Toledo and the MidWest Series are going to race "Modern" Pan cars, the Classic Class from Europe. A few of us are messing with the idea of playing around with the older cars, mostly Associated types, but likely they will not be competitive with the newer cars. After all, reports from Europe indicate that they can handle modern race engines and are appearently very fast!!

If I had my 'druthers, I'd race old Deltas, Associateds, MRPs, Markers, etc. But, although I can beg, borrow, steal, and build one for me, I do realize it is not practical or even possible for most. Now if we can find someone with some free CNC time, I'll get with those interested to put in some design inputs and we will make a run of 50 to 100 "Retro Pan Cars" and have some real fun!! ;-)

Bottom line is bring out what you have, I'm sure you can run it around and probably race if too! Just realize what you have vs. what the modern pan cars are and have fun! Your biggest problem is likelly to be TIRES! We have not been able to find any donuts to glue to existing wheels and the only ones available are the modern 4WD ones pre-glued and trued. SOme have been able to make adapters, the front is pretty easy, the rear is usually tricky because of the diff.

Good luck,

Ned
Old 02-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #1286
Tech Regular

Default cox buggie races

Place a 5 gallon bucket, with 20 foot string fixed to side, in center of track, the string well have a mark at 10 foot mark. put buggie on string at 20 foot mark. now start buggie, release and start timer at same time. Buggie that wines up string on bucket up to 1o foot mark in shortest time wins and becomes Champion of the World.
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #1287
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
.............i don't.toooo young..what happens???..............do they go KAPOW?
Nah, the screws come loose and there is an air leak which keeps the engine from drawing fuel. Usually won't start or run!!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #1288
Tech Master

Quote:
Nah, the screws come loose and there is an air leak which keeps the engine from drawing fuel. Usually won't start or run!!
.............oh..........thought there would be carnage..........damn......
Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #1289
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
I love this! I've been tempted to make a fiber glass chassis on the CNC machine at work.. got plenty of 3.2mm thick FRP.
Go for it! THe boys over on your side of the pond have created a monster me thinks! THe new "Classic" pan cars are fast and expensive! I really think some of need and want a simpler, cheaper, and SLOWER class just to race for FUN!

Problem is if we are not careful, especially in the USA, (Relatively few really interested in 1/8th on-road of any flavor) we'll splinter those wanting an alternative to 4wd and not have enough to even try to race.....

In my opinion it's too bad we can't have an Old Time Pan Class, but facts are facts ;-(
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #1290
Tech Regular

Default The whole truth!

AARCobra left some of the facts out, why I don't know. So if one of those back screws came out under power, it would release a poisonous gas, not unlike a leaky Jiffy Pop! Just one reason why there aren't as many 1/8th racers as there used to be!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote