Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default A few thoughts

Supposedly we're running a pan class in the Midwest Series this year. I took my old Super J to a few club races and it did really well against the SG's, I plan to run it this year as well as a four wheel drive, but.....

A buddy of mine decided to go GT...we tried out the Kyosho and while decent laps were turned, it's a hunk of crap, from the clutch to the original two speed to the survivability issues. HOWEVER....

We've figured out a better build from the buggy class and now have a car that I think is going to be indestructible, we tooled some upgrade parts in the shop for it and it's now "delta-fied." (Used to race for Delta back in the day and that's what we called it when it was bulletproof.)

As our benchmark, we set a price of 650 complete for everything. And that's for two cars basically, the four wheel drive truck AND a GT onroad. I don't know myself if GT will get completely off the ground or not due to interest in general, but as far as price and durability go, it'll be hard to beat. Run it onroad, then if you've an offroad coming up, change some stuff back out (about 1 hour of work) and you're ready to go. We kept the budget down as much as possible just to see if we could keep it under most other cars rolling chassis, which meant buying a few things off Ebay, but it's a car that'll break the 20 second lap and goes a lot faster and is more durable than that RTR thing Kyosho puts out. All parts availible in the U.S. as well. We're going to run it in the Midwest this year, see what it'll do and post back here with results, I have high hopes it'll be a practical alternative for those who don't have a few grand to dump into a mugen/novarossi. I also have high hopes pan class will make a comeback for the same reasons...it was pretty funny to see my 34 year old Super J keep up and pass brand new SG's....and that was also running a 30 year old motor, 30 year old tires, 30 year old servos...you get the idea. I reckon it's fine for those with $$ to burn but I remember really good racing from "back in the day," which didn't cost an arm and a leg and you didn't spend all your time between races wrenching or truing tires.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Supposedly we're running a pan class in the Midwest Series this year. I took my old Super J to a few club races and it did really well against the SG's, I plan to run it this year as well as a four wheel drive, but.....

A buddy of mine decided to go GT...we tried out the Kyosho and while decent laps were turned, it's a hunk of crap, from the clutch to the original two speed to the survivability issues. HOWEVER....

We've figured out a better build from the buggy class and now have a car that I think is going to be indestructible, we tooled some upgrade parts in the shop for it and it's now "delta-fied." (Used to race for Delta back in the day and that's what we called it when it was bulletproof.)

As our benchmark, we set a price of 650 complete for everything. And that's for two cars basically, the four wheel drive truck AND a GT onroad. I don't know myself if GT will get completely off the ground or not due to interest in general, but as far as price and durability go, it'll be hard to beat. Run it onroad, then if you've an offroad coming up, change some stuff back out (about 1 hour of work) and you're ready to go. We kept the budget down as much as possible just to see if we could keep it under most other cars rolling chassis, which meant buying a few things off Ebay, but it's a car that'll break the 20 second lap and goes a lot faster and is more durable than that RTR thing Kyosho puts out. All parts availible in the U.S. as well. We're going to run it in the Midwest this year, see what it'll do and post back here with results, I have high hopes it'll be a practical alternative for those who don't have a few grand to dump into a mugen/novarossi. I also have high hopes pan class will make a comeback for the same reasons...it was pretty funny to see my 34 year old Super J keep up and pass brand new SG's....and that was also running a 30 year old motor, 30 year old tires, 30 year old servos...you get the idea. I reckon it's fine for those with $$ to burn but I remember really good racing from "back in the day," which didn't cost an arm and a leg and you didn't spend all your time between races wrenching or truing tires.
THis sounds interesting but I'm not sure what you are comparing here... Are you talking about Toledo Club Races? What are "SG's? What class are you aiming this at? Pan or GT? I don't know about the GT class rules but have heard (and from what I've seen ;-)) the GT's are a money pit!!!
Post some pix and more info!!

Ned
Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i agree with the mopars, older cars are for fun runs only the modern cars are the way too go for races
Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 5italkart
i agree with the mopars, older cars are for fun runs only the modern cars are the way too go for races
......what happens when i kick your ass with a 30 year old car???................Joe, you sending plastic to my house or no???
....and oh yeah....GREER is getting a pan car..thats another one......will be a great class this year....i'm still working on squishy.....
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Default Way to go Matt!!

When you beat us with your 30 year old car, that my friend will be a real fun event, I'm looking forward to that day. I have seen you run your car, but I don't recall you ever race it, am I wrong? Rule 1, you can't win if you don't race.
LET'S RACE!!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Default sounds fun

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
When you beat us with your 30 year old car, that my friend will be a real fun event, I'm looking forward to that day. I have seen you run your car, but I don't recall you ever race it, am I wrong? Rule 1, you can't win if you don't race.
LET'S RACE!!
i agree that will be fun, just too have everyone out there. less parts for gene too break?LOL. found thanks too ned some fiberglass on ebay restocking the hobby budget after buying new throttle servo
Old 01-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Engines

Here's a link to an Off-Road Engine sale, if anybody needs one:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...ro-.21-Blowout
Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=aarcobra;10214218]THis sounds interesting but I'm not sure what you are comparing here... Are you talking about Toledo Club Races? What are "SG's? What class are you aiming this at? Pan or GT? I don't know about the GT class rules but have heard (and from what I've seen ;-)) the GT's are a money pit!!!
Post some pix and more info!!

Ned[/QUOTE

They did allow pan to run at the club races, weren't enough drivers at the last club race I attended so they ran the pans with the gt's. A "SG" is a car made in Italy, there were two guys with those, seems SG produces a new pan car that is belt 2wd...doesn't look half bad. And yeah, I think the gt's in their current frame are a money pit, at least the kyosho gt2 is, but it can be improved upon without busting the budget all to hell and back. And it's not a bad handling car, but the original two speed is definitely crap, the two shoe setup is a lot better not to mention more reliable.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
LET'S RACE!!

Hmm...that's odd, if I was running it, I was racing it, am I wrong...lol. Either way, if Toledo allows pan (and last I heard they will) I'll be running my Super J. Now that I have some traction issues figured out since I can get foam and mount my own rubber it should hang pretty well.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 5italkart
I know if you want to compete in 4wd you have to go modern, and I have done so (echh...belts.) Fielding a new car for this year which'll be my first full season in more than a few years, but there has been interest in trying to bring back pan class, which is a lot cheaper and lots more durable.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aarcobra
I guess I'm glad I haven't been able to find a MRP Pro 180!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-MRP-PRO-...item27bdbaa759

I can't afford one if the axle is $149!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't think you'd want one anyhow, they had horrible gear probs, ate spurs on a regular basis. Also, watch that guy...he tried to sell that same axle for several months claiming it was a Delta part and would fit a P4, then one day, amazingly enough, he has the original bag which clearly says MRP and was probably punched out at least six years before independent suspension, let alone 4wd.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aarcobra
"What ROAR should do is run 2wd for the Masters class! GTs at that. I really don't understand how at ROAR events, an older racer can run the same car in Open and Masters, while the younger racer can only run in Open, just seems crazy to me."

The club and MWS could start this!!!!
Heard that! I'd commit to more races if they did. Maybe the memory is fuzzy but I remember superstock and open class, and I remember some races in superstock starting out when I was in the "G" main...and they had an equal number of entries in open class! Lots more people and most still running at the end of the race, more manufacturers, more everything. I don't know if it's just the economy, so much stuff moving overseas, or what....
Old 01-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default masters of speed

Heard that! I'd commit to more races if they did. Maybe the memory is fuzzy but I remember superstock and open class, and I remember some races in superstock starting out when I was in the "G" main...and they had an equal number of entries in open class! Lots more people and most still running at the end of the race, more manufacturers, more everything. I don't know if it's just the economy, so much stuff moving overseas, or what....
i agree masters would benifit from being tuned down a bit. when i returned too racing i did not expect such high end stuff in the class. thats why the pan cars are so much easier for us "regular" people. but too each his own, find your fun and go with it
Old 01-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

I know if you want to compete in 4wd you have to go modern, and I have done so (echh...belts.) Fielding a new car for this year which'll be my first full season in more than a few years, but there has been interest in trying to bring back pan class, which is a lot cheaper and lots more durable.
......definately cheaper/more durable............way easier on fuel/motors/tires that the full on 4WD cars.........this should be a GREAT class come spring.............
Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default Wrong Pan

Hmm...that's odd, if I was running it, I was racing it, am I wrong...lol. Either way, if Toledo allows pan (and last I heard they will) I'll be running my Super J. Now that I have some traction issues figured out since I can get foam and mount my own rubber it should hang pretty well.
That shot was at Matts Associated RC 250, sorry if it splashed off onto your Delta car. Are you a Matt too? What you're calling SGs are Motonica P8Cs, they are from Italy also. There are something like 8 of them in Toledo and we will be running Pans in Toledo. Looking forward to racing with you!
LET'S RACE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.